Laggy Scrolling

Mike K

@Nick ,

Do you know why I'm experiencing very laggy scrolling on threads that have pictures? It's been happening for a while now (months) and I'm just now getting around to asking you about it. =)

Using Chrome. Windows 7. Only seems to be affected on pages that have images. I use AdBlock but pausing it doesn't seem to make a difference. Happens both at home and at work.

Thanks.

Hmmm... this is the first I've heard of this. The site doesn't have ads anymore, so that definitely isn't an issue. Anyone else experiencing? Please include your OS and browser info. Do you get the same thing on other browsers, @Mike K?

On my work PC I have Windows 7 64-bit and am using Chrome.

I just tried with IE and it seemed to scroll fine in that browser on the same PC, though it complained about showing non-secure content.

I get some lag on gigantic, image-filled posts. Not clear how much of this is inherent vs avoidable. Nick, do you know if there's Javascript that gets called on scroll events? If so, reducing the amount of such code may be helpful.

On my work PC I have Windows 7 64-bit and am using Chrome.

I just tried with IE and it seemed to scroll fine in that browser on the same PC, though it complained about showing non-secure content.
+ 1. Seems to scroll fine in IE.

I've seen this with Windows 10 using Chrome and on iPhone via Tapatalk. I'm wondering if the pictures are linked externally and that's from where the delay is coming.

I've seen this both in Chrome and via Tapatalk. I'm wondering if the pictures are linked externally and that's from where the delay is coming.
Possibly, but I don't think it has to do with the picture source. I scrolled through the same exact thread in IE and it was clean, snappy, and instantaneous.

I just found something that helped significantly (although it didn't take care of the problem completely). I deselected the "Use hardware acceleration when available" setting in Chrome's advanced settings. Scrolling is now faster and smoother...but still not nearly as snappy as in IE.

I've seen this with Windows 10 using Chrome and on iPhone via Tapatalk. I'm wondering if the pictures are linked externally and that's from where the delay is coming.

I would think the pictures would get cached but I think I've seen the same post multiple times and seen the delay on subsequent visits.

Possibly, but I don't think it has to do with the picture source. I scrolled through the same exact thread in IE and it was clean, snappy, and instantaneous.

I just found something that helped significantly (although it didn't take care of the problem completely). I deselected the "Use hardware acceleration when available" setting in Chrome's advanced settings. Scrolling is now faster and smoother...but still not nearly as snappy as in IE.

Hrm... interesting. I'll have to try that the next time I have the problem. Is there a particular thread that you have had trouble with recently that I can try?

Tapatalk is it's own thing and I have no control of it. I recommend phone users browse the site directly as I will likely get rid of Tapatalk accessibility in the future.

Also I do have the "Use hardware acceleration" turned on.

I've only had this (occasional) problem in threads where the images are linked to offsite hosts.

I have had this same problem since earlier this year -- also on Win7 with Chrome. Glad to see it get brought up as I too have been meaning to ask, but just never got around to it. I kinda assumed it was just my old-ish machine, though I never experience this same problem on any other site (except browsing on Amazon on occasion.)

Let me add Safari running on macOS High Sierra. Thought it was local, but I see others have the issue too.

I have the problem at work, Windows 7 and Chrome, home is fine, Windows 10 and Chrome. Not all posts do it, but I noticed it today when there was only one post in "Your favorites from 2017" thread. Makes it almost unbearable to scroll through the post.

https://backcountrypost.com/threads/your-favorites-from-2017.7271/

This is the most recent thread that it's happening to me on, too. It was laggy even when there were only like 3 posts on it yesterday morning (one of which includes my post, and I don't have any issues with my other posts that link to my photos on Flickr on this PC).

Just thought I'd let you know that info Nick, in case it's helpful.

Foe everybody with laggy scrolling issues, I recommend simply upgrading to BCP Pro. Scrolls faster, you can browse trip reports from the future, and they drain Glen Canyon for you when you're in the area. Comes with a Scatnan BCP hat.

Back