Jay Creek Lollipop Loop - Teton Wilderness - July 17, 2024

Scatman, Great Great Great Trip Report and Photos! Congratulations for you guys doing this hike. Your photos and experiences bring back some wonderful wonderful memories when I was in this country! Do remember all of those wonderful waterfalls. It all looks like as wonderful as ever! There might even be more dead fall up Jay Creek now ... Great for it will help to keep it wild as ever and the rift raft out! Did you see any Grizzlies? The last time I was up on that divide saw both Grizzles (multiple times) and Bald Eagles up on top, along with the Elk. Have had several really close encounters to Grizzlies when I was last up in the headwaters of the North Buffalo Fork. Again it looks like this country is as wild and wonderful as always! Thanks for Posting!

And just for the info Scatman, have not made it back to the Teton Wilderness this year unfortunately. Instead since the beginning of July, have been Mountain Biking and wandering everywhere from Jackson Hole to the Canadian border and Glacier NP this summer. Much Much Much still out there everywhere where you Scat and myself have never seen.

Last edited:
Looks like a fantastic trip - half the time. Boot sucking mud while fighting off willows and flesh eating flies - not so much.

I often times stop and camp at the Hatchet campground on my way into the area after my long drive from Denver, and they have good breakfasts at the Hatchet Resort.

Glad you got your malt on the way out!

Scatman, Great Great Great Trip Report and Photos! Congratulations for you guys doing this hike. Your photos and experiences bring back some wonderful wonderful memories when I was in this country! Do remember all of those wonderful waterfalls. It all looks like as wonderful as ever! There might even be more dead fall up Jay Creek now ... Great for it will help to keep it wild as ever and the rift raft out! Did you see any Grizzlies? The last time I was up on that divide saw both Grizzles (multiple times) and Bald Eagles up on top, along with the Elk. Have had several really close encounters to Grizzlies when I was last up in the headwaters of the North Buffalo Fork. Again it looks like this country is as wild and wonderful as always! Thanks for Posting!

And just for the info Scatman, have not made it back to the Teton Wilderness this year unfortunately. Instead since the beginning of July, have been Mountain Biking and wandering everywhere from Jackson Hole to the Canadian border and Glacier NP this summer. Much Much Much still out there everywhere where you Scat and myself have never seen.

We didn't see any grizzlies. :( I thought we had a pretty good chance of seeing one as we made our way up Jay Creek. It may have just been too hot for them to be out and about.

Back when you went down the creek did the outfitters' trail go from the bottom of the canyon all the way to the top? We had trouble finding it after about two miles up the drainage.

Looks like a fantastic trip - half the time. Boot sucking mud while fighting off willows and flesh eating flies - not so much.

I often times stop and camp at the Hatchet campground on my way into the area after my long drive from Denver, and they have good breakfasts at the Hatchet Resort.

Glad you got your malt on the way out!

Yeah, the flies were overwhelming. A couple of the horsefly bites actually gave me bruises!

I'll have to check out their breakfast sometime.

Scatman, now have been up and down Jay Creek a number of times. In going up at least to the big meadows in the bend of the creek a number of times. And to answer your question ... in times past the old outfitters trail went up to those big meadows but then completely disappeared once it came upon the big meadows. And then to travel in Upper Jay Creek was always and always a heavy duty bushwhack. But loved those big meadows and have camped in them on various occasions. Right there near the creek and the meadows was a terrific camping spot. And always some good Grizzly sign was nearby.

Last edited:
Yep.... Trail pretty much stopped at upper end of the neadow

I hadn't logged in since before last weekend and am late getting to this! What a route! Absolutely loved looking through. Going to have to re-read it in detail.

Back