Jay Creek Lollipop Loop - Teton Wilderness - July 17, 2024

scatman

I've had Jay Creek on my bucket list for a couple of decades now and last month I had the opportunity to explore the drainage.

@Bob had sent me a route earlier in the year that reached Yellowstone Point from Turpin Meadow. I asked Bob if it were okay to alter his route and go up Jay Creek instead of heading to the point. Bob was good with that, so in mid-July we, along with Bob's friend Gary, headed off on an eight day trip to see what Jay Creek was all about.

Conditions for this trip were hot, smoky, and biting flies that were overwhelming at times. Our route was a lollipop loop that measured approximately 58 miles.

The crux of the trip was a day four bushwhack up Jay Creek. The fist two miles up the creek there is an old outfitter's trail that has quite a bit of downfall while it winds through the forest, and it runs through marshy/boggy willows after leaving the trees, but at least you can follow it if your boots don't get sucked off. After that, we were unable to stay on the trail and had to make our way as best we could which included elk trails, willow bushwhacking, straight up the creek bed at times. It wore us out, and we camped at the headwaters instead of continuing on to Tri-county Lake where we had originally planned to stay for the night. That being said, Jay Creek is a wild place and definitely worth the effort to see.

Jay_Creek_Lollipop_Loop.jpg
Trip overview map

Day 1 -

01.jpg
I drove up from Salt Lake while Bob and Gary made their way from Island Park, meeting
at the Hatchet Resort for a pre trip meal. I had the bison burger.

02.jpg
Getting ready at the Turpin Meadow Trailhead

03.jpg
On the North Fork Buffalo Trail

04.jpg
View to the northeast from the trail

05.jpg
Fleabane along the trail

06.jpg
Things got intense right off the bat on day one. This horse/mule train passed us on a steep slope above Buffalo Fork. While
passing, one of the horses got spooked and went over and down the slope, losing its rider in the process. This caused the train to
stop. This put me in a precarious situation, standing below the trail on the steep slope carrying my 54 pound pack, with a mules
foot not one foot from my head. I was thinking to myself, "if this mule kicks me, I'm a dead man." Fortunately @Rockskipper must
have trained her cousin well because it never kicked.

07.jpg
The Buffalo Fork

08.jpg
Paintbrush and geraniums

09.jpg
Wild rose

10.jpg
Wolf track on the trail.

11.jpg
The next horse train that passed us told us that they had seen a grey wolf earlier on their ride out.

12.jpg
Unnamed pond along the trail

13.jpg
Heading out into the Soda Fork Meadows

14.jpg
Horse highway on the west side of the meadows

15.jpg
Richardson's geranium

16.jpg
Willows and marsh below

17.jpg
View to the northeast

18.jpg
We'll continue on up the North Buffalo Fork

19.jpg
View up Soda Fork

20.jpg
21.jpg
Workhorses for this trip

22.jpg
North Buffalo Fork

23.jpg
My tent on North Buffalo Fork

24.jpg
Moonrise over the North Fork

Day 2 -

25.jpg
Heading out from camp with Gary out front

26.jpg
Mountain dandelion

27.jpg
Willows and the North Buffalo Fork

28.jpg
Monkshood

29.jpg
Bob, making his way along the North Buffalo Fork

30.jpg
Trail heading up the hill towards the Continental Divide and Pacific Creek

31.jpg
Break time before heading up the hill

32.jpg
A hot climb to the top for me.

33.jpg
Blue columbine

34.jpg
Very little shade heading to the top

35.jpg
Looking back towards Soda Mountain

36.jpg
Interesting beetle on some yampah

37.jpg
Lupine was numerous up top

38.jpg
I sat down at the pass to eat some lunch and this deer came by

39.jpg
40.jpg
And then this mule train

41.jpg
Lupine

42.jpg
Heading up to the pass

43.jpg
And more horses/mules

44.jpg
Getting ready to filter some water at camp on Trail Creek

45.jpg
Our campsite for night two

Day 3 -

46.jpg
Heading down the pass towards Pacific Creek

47.jpg
Falls on Trail Creek

48.jpg
View to the north towards Two Ocean Plateau

49.jpg
Dropped down the willows along Pacific Creek

50.jpg
Time for some shade and a snack

51.jpg
Hawks Rest ahead

52.jpg
Atlantic Creek

53.jpg
The old outfitter's trail that leads into Jay Creek Canyon

54.jpg
Lots on downfall along the outfitter's trail at the beginning of heading into the canyon

55.jpg
Typical of the first part of the trail

56.jpg
Breaking out into a meadow

57.jpg
View up Jay Creek Canyon

58.jpg
Unnamed pond up Jay Creek

59.jpg
Jay Creek

60.jpg
We are not alone

61.jpg
Bob, crossing Jay Creek

62.jpg
Gary crossing a little further upstream

63.jpg
The willows were hell! Marshy, boot eating bogs at ground level when heading through

64.jpg
More willows to contend with

65.jpg
The Jay Creek Drainage

66.jpg
Falls on the west side

67.jpg
Our camp that night was in the willows

68.jpg
Evening sun up canyon on where we will beheading on day four

Day 4 -

69.jpg
Jay Creek on day four

70.jpg
A nice trail through this section. It wouldn't last. :(

71.jpg
Cow-parsnip was plentiful in the drainage

72.jpg
More Colorado blue columbine

73.jpg
Not the best shot, but we are dealing with avalanche debris at this point

74.jpg
Chipmunk among the debris

75.jpg
Heading towards the east turn in the canyon

76.jpg
Jay Creek and surroundings

77.jpg
More falls

78.jpg
And more

79.jpg
Essentially no outfitter's trail from this point on

80.jpg
Onto an elk trail

81.jpg
Where to now? Bob, on Jay Creek

82.jpg
Maybe the other side of the creek

83.jpg
Breaking through the trees

84.jpg
Enjoying the view

85.jpg
The upper part of the canyon is gorgeous!

86b.jpg
Bull elk across the drainage

87.jpg
Sometimes the easiest route was just up the creek. Gary leads the way.

88.jpg
Tall waterfall coming off the south canyon wall

89.jpg
Falls on Jay Creek

90.jpg
More falls on Jay Creek

91.jpg
Looking back down the drainage

92.jpg
Breaking out into the meadows of the headwaters of Jay Creek

93.jpg
More headwaters view with the pass we will be heading up on day five ahead

94.jpg
Headwaters shot

95.jpg
Camp for the night

96.jpg
Fleabane

97.jpg
Dinner

Day 5 -

99.jpg
Jay Creek at the headwaters

98.jpg
Morning view back down the canyon on my way to the pass

100.jpg
On the pass - view to the north

101.jpg
Zoomed in view down Jay Creek Canyon from the pass

102.jpg
Bob reaches the pass

103.jpg
Forget-me-nots

104.jpg
View to the south near the pass, our way forward

105.jpg
Lots of paintbrush in the high country

106.jpg
And lupine

107.jpg
Ahead is the drainage that contains Tri-county Lake and eventually this side drainage drops into the North Buffalo Fork

108.jpg
Looking down on Tri-county Lake

109.jpg
Gary coning of the hill along the ridgeline

110.jpg
Younts Peak in the distance, with the Yellowstone River below

111.jpg
View to the east across the Yellowstone at the basin on Thunder Mountain

112.jpg
Our way forward with an unnamed pond to visit, coming off hill 10,764

113.jpg
Had some visitors show up while I was waiting at the pond

114.jpg
Looking back north at hill 10,764

115.jpg
116.jpg
Came upon these elk in their daybeds at the top of the next hill - hill 10,737. They all stood up and stared when they saw me.

117.jpg
Once I took a step forward they bolted

118.jpg
Next hill (Jay Peak) ahead

119.jpg
This is the same herd of elk that I disturbed off of their daybeds. It took them five minute to run over to this snow field on the
next hill to the south, it would take me fifty minutes to walk it.

120.jpg
Another Younts shot

121.jpg
Our way forward

122.jpg
Bob and Gary, making their way across the plateau

123.jpg
Approaching the basin where the headwaters of the North Buffalo Fork is located

124.jpg
Looking down on the headwaters of the North Buffalo Fork

125.jpg
Another headwaters shot

126.jpg
Making our way down into the basin

127.jpg
More spectacular paintbrush

128.jpg
Bob contemplating life at the headwaters of the North Buffalo Fork

129.jpg
Beginning our descent down the fork

130.jpg
The meadow down below where we will find our campsite for the night

131.jpg
Cascades on the North Buffalo Fork

132.jpg
And falls

134.jpg
Strawberry

133.jpg
Campsite by the willows again tonight.

Day 6 -

135.jpg
Morning view down the North Buffalo Fork

136.jpg
Fairly recent burn? Gary, who was out in front ran into a black bear just beyond this stretch

137.jpg
North Buffalo Fork

138.jpg
For some reason, flies like cow-parsnip

139.jpg
Fogs were plentiful on this trip

140.jpg
North Buffalo Fork. The canyon at the upper left is the one that leads to Tri-county Lake.

141.jpg
Another smoky day, but still nice views to be had

142.jpg
Outfitter's camp

143.jpg
North Fork Falls

145.jpg
View from out night six campsite with a view of Soda Mountain

144.jpg
Our campsite

Day 7 -

146.jpg
My breakfast on day seven. I thought the grits were okay. I'd buy and eat them again for a change
in my oatmeal routine.

147.jpg
Down we go

148.jpg
Bear track on the trail

149.jpg
This backpacker's name was Robert. He had come in over Ishawooa Pass and made his way south along the ridgeline towards
Deer Creek Pass before exploring more of the Teton Wilderness. He asked me if it was possible to get to Ferry Lake by heading up
North Buffalo Fork. I told him that he could and he was on his way. He was dressed in all white and his face was covered in zinc-
oxide for sun protection I assume. After he left I thought maybe I had seen a ghost, but Bob and Gary confirmed that he existed
as they had chatted with him briefly too. He did have an issue about all the horse shit on the trail. I didn't have the heart to tell
him that the trails wouldn't be here if not for the horses and horsemen and women.

150.jpg
Getting close to closing the lollipop loop

151.jpg
Back in familiar territory

152.jpg
153.jpg
Ducks on the creek

154.jpg
Looking back north from whence we came.

156.jpg155.jpg
157.jpg
Some fine looking mules at an outfitter's camp

158.jpg
Camp for night seven

Day 8 -

159.jpg
Heading out today. View north, down into the North Fork Meadows

160.jpg
Pack of wolves passed through in the night. They went almost all the way to the
trailhead.

161.jpg
A mad grouse got after me

162.jpg
Last hill before dropping down to the trailhead

163.jpg
Back at the Sube

I should mention that I met a CDT hiker along the trail on the way out and she was struggling with the heat. She was sitting in the shade maybe fifty minutes from the trailhead. I asked if she would like to hike back to the trailhead with me. She said that she was going to rest in the shade for awhile longer. She popped out at the trailhead when I was changing clothes and I asked her if she was doing okay. I told her that I was heading to Jackson and then on to Salt Lake, and if she was heading my way, I'd give her a ride. She told me that she needed to get to Grant Village in Yellowstone. I told her that Bob and Gary were coming out and they were going home through the Park and that she should ask them for a lift. I understand that Bob gave her a lift to Grant, and bought her some pizza on the way. So kudos to Bob!

164.jpg
165.jpg
And of course, had to stop at Moos in Jackson for an Oreo malt with dark malt.

The End.

Cool photo of the bull elk and all the others.
Other than the heat, bugs, downfalls, avalanche debris, ... it looks like a great trip. You make Jay Creek look very appealing :)

That is a lot of horse parties you saw. Is that normal for that part of the Wilderness?

This is the same herd of elk that I disturbed off of their daybeds. It took them five minute to run over to this snow field on the
next hill to the south, it would take me fifty minutes to walk it.
There's the answer! Surefooted, won't fall off the trail, fast, and easy keepers. And when you're done, they just run away, no need for feed and all that.

Nice photos, what an amazing place. Your cameras are on both ends of the weight spectrum, and that 5D is one fine machine. And just for the record, mules aren't known as being kickers, that's a horse kind of thing (probably epigenetic).

Last edited:
Great Report Hugh.

Jay Creek certainly seems like a wild and beautiful place.

Keep checking those to-dos off your bucket list. :thumbsup:

The views from the high ground looked amazing. That looked like my kind of terrain too -- minimal pucker factor. :)

Other than the heat, bugs, downfalls, avalanche debris, ... it looks like a great trip. You make Jay Creek look very appealing :)

That is a lot of horse parties you saw. Is that normal for that part of the Wilderness?
The bull elk photo stood out for me as well. Heckuva trip, looks like, and fantastic report!

Great report! I had thought Jay Creek looked interesting. Well, boot-sucking mud under willows sure sounds interesting but maybe now that you guys went up there I don't really need to! The upper reaches sure looked nice though.

And about that grouse... About the most viscerally, flat-out panic-scared I've ever been was when chased by an enraged mama grouse in the Teton Wilderness. Beware the grouse!

We saw quite a few outfitters that were already set up in the Soda Fork Meadows and the North Fork Meadows. They are bringing clientele in that want a wilderness experience. I talked to a guy from England who was staying for three days with horse rides from basecamp to various locations in the wilderness. The tough part was smelling the bacon when we passed by in the mornings. :)

You need to add Jay Creek to your bucket list. :thumbsup:

There's the answer! Surefooted, won't fall off the trail, fast, and easy keepers. And when you're done, they just run away, no need for feed and all that.

Nice photos, what an amazing place. Your cameras are on both ends of the weight spectrum, and that 5D is one fine machine. And just for the record, mules aren't known as being kickers, that's a horse kind of thing (probably epigenetic).

So a kicking mule is just an old wives' tale? You may have let me know that before the trip Skipper. It would have saved me a lot of sweat and anxiety at the time, staring at the mules shoed hoof for a good three or four minutes.

Anything else you have forgotten to tell me? :D

Great Report Hugh.

Jay Creek certainly seems like a wild and beautiful place.

Keep checking those to-dos off your bucket list. :thumbsup:

The views from the high ground looked amazing. That looked like my kind of terrain too -- minimal pucker factor. :)

You need to add Jay to your bucket list too. No pucker factor on this one, unless you're anxious about rousting a grizzly in the willows. :)

Last edited:
Great report! I had thought Jay Creek looked interesting. Well, boot-sucking mud under willows sure sounds interesting but maybe now that you guys went up there I don't really need to! The upper reaches sure looked nice though.

And about that grouse... About the most viscerally, flat-out panic-scared I've ever been was when chased by an enraged mama grouse in the Teton Wilderness. Beware the grouse!

Oh, you've got to go. You might just be able to stay on the old outfitters' trail. The headwaters were gorgeous.

I had a grouse go for my head in the Sierras a number of years ago.

So a kicking mule is just an old wives' tale? You may have let me know that before the trip Skipper. It would have saved me a lot of sweat and anxiety at the time, staring at the mules shoed hoof for a good three or four minutes.

Anything else you have forgotten to tell me? :D
If you go up into Yoho country, you’ll hear lots of place names like Kicking Horse Pass and that kind of thing. You never hear anything like Kicking Mule Pass, now do you?

And yeah, there’s lots I need to tell you, but I’ll wait until after your next big backpacking trip.

Last edited:
You need to add Jay Creek to your bucket list. :thumbsup:

Actually had a dream last night that involved CalTopo and the headwaters of Jay Creek. I think that means Jay Creek got added to my bucket list :)

I won't bother mentioning this dream to my family because they would not understand, but I know that you do

If you go up into Yoho country, you’ll hear lots of place names like Kicking Horse Pass and that kind of thing. You never hear anything like Kicking Mule Pass, now do you?

And yeah, there’s lots I need to tell you, but I’ll wait until after your next big backpacking trip.

I knew I could count on you. :D

Actually had a dream last night that involved CalTopo and the headwaters of Jay Creek. I think that means Jay Creek got added to my bucket list :)

I won't bother mentioning this dream to my family because they would not understand, but I know that you do

I absolutely understand. Map the old outfitters' trail for me while you're back in there.

Back