How did you meet most of your backpacking companions?

What Jackson said is good advice. Both of those wilderness areas have places that meet your criteria.

Funny thing. I'm now in your same boat. I think I mentioned in my earlier reply to this thread that my friends might not be able to backpack with me for our annual late August/early September Wind Rivers trip this year. :confused: It's looking grim. One buddy has 2 to 3 "excuses" and won't commit. The other doesn't want to go if it's just him and me. So, I'm left with the options of going solo, canceling altogether, doing a different kind of trip (maybe a fishing trip with my old man, etc. I'm contemplating posting a thread here on BCP asking if anyone is headed out for the same time frame and wants to join me and the one friend (who wasn't excited about a BCP stranger joining) or letting me tag along on their trip. :p I'm still weighing my options and trying to figure out what to do. But I do have some empathy for you now!

I understand it's tough committing to allow a stranger to go on a trip, not knowing the person's abilities, not knowing their personality or values or, if subjects come up, their politics...

Doesn't sound like I was invited but I do have the week leading up to Labor Day off as well, and if I don't find something to do with these next 2 weeks off starting tomorrow I'm throwing them back and taking them in October I think...at my job they only allow one electrician to go out at a time, filled by a floating vacation relief guy, and I think September is pretty much taken already.

Never considered the Winds...beggars can't be choosers.

Well anyway, in case an offer were to come my way I'll say I like to do 6 to 10 mile days depending on the brutality of elevation gain, I'm a pretty nice guy I think...and I usually can tell when it's best to switch subjects if we're disagreeing! What more is there to it? Oh, and I'm probably in dire need of a backpack shakedown, preferably to leave things behind, not replace thousands of dollars worth of equipment with thousands of dollars worth of other lighter equipment!

Last edited:
Uintas and Wind Rivers. You could go to Titcomb Basin or the Cirque of the Towers and you'd see probably a couple dozen people every day. Uintas would be good for shorter trips to places like Amethyst Basin, Red Castle, and Naturalist Basin.

I appreciate it. Wonder how the smoke is there now. Might be good information for the future. I don't see me breaking out of this extremely nervous reluctant type mindset I currently have about dropping money on plane tickets and a rental car to fly out and solo backpack...I wish I could just easily switch gears to being comfortable with it but my brain / instinct is having me shy away from it. And since my wife won't be going with me I'm having reservations about taking such a huge bite out of what was supposed to be our vacation savings.

Last edited:
@forest dweller - I'm heading into the Teton Wilderness over the Columbus Day Weekend. I plan on heading up Pilgrim Creek approximately 5.7 miles where I intend to set up a base camp. On day two, I'm day hiking to Moss Lake, which is about 5.2 miles round trip. On day three, I'll probably head up to Gravel Lake (10.4 ish miles round trip) or maybe hike up Pilgrim Creek a similar distance. This trip tends to be a cold one. Expect nights in the teens or single digits with daytime highs in the 40's, maybe low 50's. If you are interested, you are welcome.

All that being said, this trip is weather dependent. If it is going to storm for the extended weekend, I won't be going. If there is only one day of bad weather then I will be there.

The sole purpose of this trip is to reach Moss Lake for me. I've attempted over the years to get there, but due to weather, deep snow on the ground, or my eyes being bigger than my stomach syndrome, I just haven't made it. That will change this October.

I understand it's tough committing to allow a stranger to go on a trip, not knowing the person's abilities, not knowing their personality or values or, if subjects come up, their politics...

Doesn't sound like I was invited but I do have the week leading up to Labor Day off as well, and if I don't find something to do with these next 2 weeks off starting tomorrow I'm throwing them back and taking them in October I think...at my job they only allow one electrician to go out at a time, filled by a floating vacation relief guy, and I think September is pretty much taken already.

Never considered the Winds...beggars can't be choosers.

Well anyway, in case an offer were to come my way I'll say I like to do 6 to 10 mile days depending on the brutality of elevation gain, I'm a pretty nice guy I think...and I usually can tell when it's best to switch subjects if we're disagreeing! What more is there to it? Oh, and I'm probably in dire need of a backpack shakedown, preferably to leave things behind, not replace thousands of dollars worth of equipment with thousands of dollars worth of other lighter equipment!
I thought your trip was sooner than the time frame for which our trip is scheduled. We'd leave Utah after work on September 2nd and drive home on September 7th. The trip is totally up in the air but if those dates could work for you we could talk and explore our options. Like I said, at this point, I'd consider anything: canceling, solo, hooking up with others, doing something totally different, etc. Like @scatman said about his Tetons trip, this trip would be weather dependent.

@forest dweller - I'm heading into the Teton Wilderness over the Columbus Day Weekend. I plan on heading up Pilgrim Creek approximately 5.7 miles where I intend to set up a base camp. On day two, I'm day hiking to Moss Lake, which is about 5.2 miles round trip. On day three, I'll probably head up to Gravel Lake (10.4 ish miles round trip) or maybe hike up Pilgrim Creek a similar distance. This trip tends to be a cold one. Expect nights in the teens or single digits with daytime highs in the 40's, maybe low 50's. If you are interested, you are welcome.

All that being said, this trip is weather dependent. If it is going to storm for the extended weekend, I won't be going. If there is only one day of bad weather then I will be there.

The sole purpose of this trip is to reach Moss Lake for me. I've attempted over the years to get there, but due to weather, deep snow on the ground, or my eyes being bigger than my stomach syndrome, I just haven't made it. That will change this October.

Appreciate it. I reckon it can get pretty cold there by then. I actually love chilly days and nights in the fall. I'm prepared for the cold...only thing I wouldn't like is whiteout conditions at or above treeline like in Banff 3 Septembers ago!

I thought your trip was sooner than the time frame for which our trip is scheduled.

Was supposed to be 2 weeks starting tomorrow but plan C, D and E aren't even working out and I won't spend vacation time to sit at home and rage and sulk! I have the option of taking what's available in September and October, and I am also penciled in for the overlap week at the end of August and beginning of September.

Trying to figure out whether it's fear or the fear of being lonely that would keep me going solo...I honestly believe it's more of the latter. It's so amazing out there...I wish I could get / put my head in a place in which that was overcome and I just went for it...got comfortable with it...making it always an option and never not going again for lack of a companion...which has already happened way too many times in my life...and life is going by and feels like it's speeding up.

Funny too...in my everyday life I am OK being a bit of a loner, most of the relatively few people in my life are busy and can't do things....just seems different and not exactly transferable over to being in the backcountry alone....Am I making any sense?

Last edited:
Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.

Chuang-Tzu

That's just a ridiculous misinterpretation and oversimplification of what I have been saying overall....with all due respect of course.

Edit...thought this was a newer comment and it definitely rubbed me the wrong way because it felt like I was being accused of being a horrible person of some kind and I think I try pretty hard to be decent and kind unless given a reason not to be.
You CAN’T be th only one back east that is thinkin’ that 15 mile days are not for me anymore. Other’s feel th same way. Isolation only intensifies th symptoms. And with what we are all goin’ thru these days….well, that’s not helpin’ at all.

Funny thing is, there have been lot’s of good suggestions in here. Seems like none have been th “one” fer ya.

If I may…

Just because yer wife doesn’t wanna tag along doesn’t mean th trip is ruined/ over. We all have our likes and dislikes..thank heavens we all aren’t th same.

Ya seem to be fixated on th wild, Wild West. I get that. Bein from Oklahoma and now situated in Texas, the west with th big mountains and cool to colder weather beckons tame daily..maybe not this summer as much..Salt Lake 102 yest n here n Austin an 82 rain cooled day…but none th less, I get it…y’all got those tiny mountains back east and ya can almost throw a rock n hit a town from yer trails..

At least yer trails are fairly close ta get to..So…to recommend a couple of remedies fer yer current situation.

1. Fer heaven’s sake, Forget bout th west for this year…just forget it and plan a trip for th future.
But ya say, I’m still in my situation with no one to go with on said trip! Here’s a prescription fer that’s!

2. Ya ain’t gonna like this, but here goes, stop whinnin’ n join ALL th clubs around ya( heck, y’all’s states are so close back east) even surroundin states clubs. Most of em Should have forums, trips( day hikes n backpacks) club meetin’s and meet ups. When ya start GOIN’ ta these you will meet others. Some will be somewhat likeminded with th same hikin styles, miles per day n such. Start online in their forums sayin ya got trip planned fer th mile challenged..that’ll bring some outta th woodwork. Become a trip leader…Don’t blabber bout th west, talk bout th good ole east…til next Feb say. Then ask some ya met if they’d be interested in a trip out west you’ve been plannin’.

There. That’s Yer prescription. Take yer pill!

PS. Go on some day hikes round yer area..DO Not talk bout th west to people less’n they bring it up. Be happy in th moment, just hike..visit with those who’ll visit n hike past th others..

N O W go hike..spend some nights in campgrounds, go thru all yer backpackin stuff there..somebody may mosey over n start talkin bout gear…

Was supposed to be 2 weeks starting tomorrow but plan C, D and E aren't even working out and I won't spend vacation time to sit at home and rage and sulk! I have the option of taking what's available in September and October, and I am also penciled in for the overlap week at the end of August and beginning of September.
Ok. I'll keep you posted as to how my situation shakes out. Might be more last minute than you can plan for though (?).

Last edited:
Ok. I'll keep you posted as to how my situation shakes out. Might be more last minute than you can play for though (?).
Hey guy's, I'll throw my hat in here if you don't mind. I have been planning a week or so in the Sawtooth's solo the week of Labor Day. If anyone wants to tag along, it's cool with me. @Mike K if things don't work out with yur buddies, I could probably be convinced to do a Winds trip instead if the timing works out. Still waiting to see how the smoke issue progresses, I'd be able to push it to later in September or early October if need be.

Hey guy's, I'll throw my hat in here if you don't mind. I have been planning a week or so in the Sawtooth's solo the week of Labor Day. If anyone wants to tag along, it's cool with me. @Mike K if things don't work out with yur buddies, I could probably be convinced to do a Winds trip instead if the timing works out. Still waiting to see how the smoke issue progresses, I'd be able to push it to later in September or early October if need be.
Sawtooths get smoke chances are the winds has smoke as it goes west to east from n cal

Sawtooths get smoke chances are the winds has smoke as it goes west to east from n cal
Yea, I'm just hoping they get some rain at some point, there's none in the forecast for the foreseeable future and temps in the 90's. Hope they are able to start getting a handle on it before too long. Not for my trip planning, they just really need some relief! If worse comes to worst for me, I can do something else at any other time, lucky enough to have lot's of flexibility.

Yea, I'm just hoping they get some rain at some point, there's none in the forecast for the foreseeable future and temps in the 90's. Hope they are able to start getting a handle on it before too long. Not for my trip planning, they just really need some relief! If worse comes to worst for me, I can do something else at any other time, lucky enough to have lot's of flexibility.
Just looked... Good chance rain sun nite thru wed afternoon her in island park ....

I'll just come hang at yur cabin and drink with ya then! :thumbsup: Should we send some of that rain to N Cali??

I usually go backpacking with my wife. I met her almost 50 years ago in college. So that won't work for you.

We also take a few family a friends on some of our trips---and we just invite them to come along. Some do. But if they don't, we still have each other to backpack with.

And the third option is the trips I do with trail crews. I have on friend who is a ranger, and I love to work with him, but I also work with a few other groups and have a great time in the woods. that might be an option for you.

Cool. My plans have been kind of stagnant. I've been busy and haven't had much time to do any planning.

I have three possible people that might go: 1) DJ is the one who will supposedly only go if there's three or more, yet wasn't excited about a bcp stranger. Haha 2) LP just took a bunch of time off work, claims he's way out of shape, and doesn't like long arduous trips (he says DJ and I always go on "death marches"). I suspect he's very low probability 3) PH is my wife's nephew who has been dying to go to the Winds, maybe do some fly fishing - but he needs to check his school/college schedule to see when his classes are and when they start. I'm thinking he'd have to miss school...I'm putting him down as a doubtful.

But, I'd be game to team up and do a Sawtooth or Winds trip. I can start a private conversation so we don't have to muck up this thread with our planning. We can discuss things like dates, duration, distances, routes, etc. to see if it'll work out. Maybe some other solo hiker(s) will want to join us as well and we can add them to the conversation?? I'm not sure what @forest dweller ever ended up doing or if he's still interested.