How did you meet most of your backpacking companions?

Haha...that will be neither solo nor backpacking. I'm planning on dropping off gear, then driving about five miles to reach a dirt road that's only maybe a quarter-mile away and hopping the fence to get back between the lanes. Might even have a camp fire if I'm feeling daring/sheltered enough.
I think your odds are very good but that would sure be awkward explaining to the nice highway patrolman why you're dropping off camping gear on the shoulder of I-70

I'm not going to bring the thread back, but I believe she was referring to the one titled: 'Any of you gentleman have wives that seem "indifferent" to backpacking but will go with you...'

That's fine but I'm scratching my head to think how I demonized women in that discussion.

I met most of my regular outdoor partners - past and current - while I was outdoors. Most of your posts sound like you want to go to college but haven't started high school yet.

And even with a few good hiking partners I found myself facing a version of your dilemma - was I OK only progressing my skills on one or two trips a year or did I want to do/learn more? I wanted more, so I learned to go solo on occasion and fast forward a few years to me almost preferring it.

I met both of my backpacking buddies at the local animal shelter. They’re always ready to go. The only problem is I have to do all the work, but I actually don’t mind. Their enthusiasm makes it all worthwhile.
Haha--I thought you meant you worked at an animal shelter and went hiking with coworkers. Seemed odd that you always had to do all the work. I was half way through the next post before it hit me. Duh!

I really think that you are overly romanticizing some of these areas in the West. It is quite possible that sites like this one and instagram are contributing to that image. I think the main point @LarryBoy boy was making was that if backpacking and gaining backpacking partners is your priority you should be taking every opportunity to get out there. Not every trip has to be a world class trip of a lifetime. That is also what the people that are saying to give solo a shot are getting at. They aren't saying go on a 15 day solo into deep wilderness to start. They are saying why not try a solo trip that is short and in a well visited location. I get frustrated when people refuse to do things out of hand. You seem to be wanting backpacking to be a priority in your life but aren't taking advantage of all the options available to you.

You seem to not be getting the responses you want from those commenting on your repeated threads, but I'm not sure any of us are going to change our responses.
I would love to do a poll to see who would trade Washington, Idaho and Montana for the NY / NJ / CT tri-state area!

My situation is a nuanced situation...I think that is the word.

I'm not interested in local trips...I backpack to immerse myself in wilderness, there is no real wilderness...beautiful wilderness...more nature than civilization...ecosystems etc...until you drive pretty far from where I live...

Some clubs and meet ups do go to the Adirondacks to backpack. Many of those trips are on regular weekends...one overnight....usually more miles than I am capable of doing....after driving the better part of 5 hours to get up there, with a 5 hour drive to get back.

Someone here suggested that if I start doing local trips in non wilderness with others, primarily for the purpose of meeting other backpackers....say AT sections in Connecticut...to not let on that I'm really not that interested in that but I'm there to meet other backpackers ultimately...if I am being honest. I don't know how I'd conceal something like that...probably backpacking 15 mile days, twice as much I'd usually be comfortable with doing, probably falling behind the people I went to be with...in an area that is doing nothing for me. Am I making sense? Yes I am.

I do wish I was brave enough to go solo....maybe brave isn't the word...maybe so introverted that it made sense and felt right? But it wouldn't feel right. I'd feel lonesome...and it would probably feel eerie at times. Eerie and lonesome. There is nothing wrong with me reacting to a solo trip like that just like there is nothing wrong with people who processed and interpreted being out there alone in a positive way...people are different. I respect that...others should respect my angle on it as well.

So let's say I go out to Washington and try to backpack where others are assured of being...not a terrible idea. But I'm not actually WITH people. Then it's probably so close to the road that campsite permits could be an issue...IF there are guarantees of people being there.

I just need to find a way to meet more backpackers that want to do the kinds of trips I want to do.

Meh, I probably said this all already but it's such a big problem for me I want to keep this discussion going, hoping maybe someone thinks of something nobody has thought of yet and it's like a light bulb moment...a breakthrough.

I have 2 weeks off starting Friday and I have nothing nailed down. I'm really bummed about the whole situation.

I would love to do a poll to see who would trade Washington, Idaho and Montana for the NY / NJ / CT tri-state area!

My situation is a nuanced situation...I think that is the word.

I'm not interested in local trips...I backpack to immerse myself in wilderness, there is no real wilderness...beautiful wilderness...more nature than civilization...ecosystems etc...until you drive pretty far from where I live...

Some clubs and meet ups do go to the Adirondacks to backpack. Many of those trips are on regular weekends...one overnight....usually more miles than I am capable of doing....after driving the better part of 5 hours to get up there, with a 5 hour drive to get back.

Someone here suggested that if I start doing local trips in non wilderness with others, primarily for the purpose of meeting other backpackers....say AT sections in Connecticut...to not let on that I'm really not that interested in that but I'm there to meet other backpackers ultimately...if I am being honest. I don't know how I'd conceal something like that...probably backpacking 15 mile days, twice as much I'd usually be comfortable with doing, probably falling behind the people I went to be with...in an area that is doing nothing for me. Am I making sense? Yes I am.

I do wish I was brave enough to go solo....maybe brave isn't the word...maybe so introverted that it made sense and felt right? But it wouldn't feel right. I'd feel lonesome...and it would probably feel eerie at times. Eerie and lonesome. There is nothing wrong with me reacting to a solo trip like that just like there is nothing wrong with people who processed and interpreted being out there alone in a positive way...people are different. I respect that...others should respect my angle on it as well.

So let's say I go out to Washington and try to backpack where others are assured of being...not a terrible idea. But I'm not actually WITH people. Then it's probably so close to the road that campsite permits could be an issue...IF there are guarantees of people being there.

I just need to find a way to meet more backpackers that want to do the kinds of trips I want to do.

Meh, I probably said this all already but it's such a big problem for me I want to keep this discussion going, hoping maybe someone thinks of something nobody has thought of yet and it's like a light bulb moment...a breakthrough.

I have 2 weeks off starting Friday and I have nothing nailed down. I'm really bummed about the whole situation.

IMHO you’re selling the areas to your north and northeast short.

You could hike a long section of the Northville Placid trail, be in beautiful country, solo, and still meet other like minded folks as you go along and when you camp for the night. You don’t have to hike 15 mile days. Hike your own hike. Plenty of resources available to help you plan out a trip like this. Shuttles are available if you need to arrange something to meet your needs.

Head to Vermont and hike some of the Long Trail. Again you can hike your own hike, hike as long or short as you feel suits your style and ability. You will a lot of people along the way. You’re going to meet a diverse group of people wherever you camp. Lots of resources to help you plan.

Head up to Maine and hike a section of the AT. Definitely a wilderness much of the time. At this time of the year you’re going to meet a lot of people hiking the AT. It’s not a competition so you don’t have to hike the same mileage as they do. Shuttles are available too to help out with the logistics part. Hostels too if you need a night “off trail” but with like minded hiking folks.

Attempting to go out west now is really going to cost you $$$. Especially when you really don’t have a plan.

You can hike solo and still meet people. You won’t be that alone out there. And after a night or two on your own you’re going to develop a routine, a rhythm of sorts, and you’ll feel less alone. At least that’s been my experience.

Just do it and have fun.

There are people everywhere out here.... Like flies on .... ?! Everyone wants to be in nature now.....

IMHO you’re selling the areas to your north and northeast short.

You could hike a long section of the Northville Placid trail, be in beautiful country, solo, and still meet other like minded folks as you go along and when you camp for the night. You don’t have to hike 15 mile days. Hike your own hike. Plenty of resources available to help you plan out a trip like this. Shuttles are available if you need to arrange something to meet your needs.

Head to Vermont and hike some of the Long Trail. Again you can hike your own hike, hike as long or short as you feel suits your style and ability. You will a lot of people along the way. You’re going to meet a diverse group of people wherever you camp. Lots of resources to help you plan.

Head up to Maine and hike a section of the AT. Definitely a wilderness much of the time. At this time of the year you’re going to meet a lot of people hiking the AT. It’s not a competition so you don’t have to hike the same mileage as they do. Shuttles are available too to help out with the logistics part. Hostels too if you need a night “off trail” but with like minded hiking folks.

Attempting to go out west now is really going to cost you $$$. Especially when you really don’t have a plan.

You can hike solo and still meet people. You won’t be that alone out there. And after a night or two on your own you’re going to develop a routine, a rhythm of sorts, and you’ll feel less alone. At least that’s been my experience.

Just do it and have fun.

On this vacation coming up I could do that. Some of those areas have crossed my mind as alternatives to what I was REALLY hoping to do....especially on the AT where I might meet many backpackers. My only problem with it is I really had my heart set on going out west and it won't be that. And having done a lot in the Adirondacks in the last 35 years it will feel like landscapes I have been through already many times, whether it's VT, NH or ME.

Otherwise this is equally a discussion on what can be done on regular weekends to find other backpackers....trying to minimize my chances of finding myself in this predicament I'm in now ever again - with vacation time, with wanting to go out west, with having the money to make it happen, but not having enough reliable companions.

Alright, let's say I CONSIDERED going solo out of complete desperation:

Where in the northwest, midwest, Rockies or northeast could I go that was a) a very large wilderness area, b) assured of having MANY people there, and c) wouldn't be problematic as far as needing sometimes impossible to get permits for?

Uintas and Wind Rivers. You could go to Titcomb Basin or the Cirque of the Towers and you'd see probably a couple dozen people every day. Uintas would be good for shorter trips to places like Amethyst Basin, Red Castle, and Naturalist Basin.

What Jackson said is good advice. Both of those wilderness areas have places that meet your criteria.

Funny thing. I'm now in your same boat. I think I mentioned in my earlier reply to this thread that my friends might not be able to backpack with me for our annual late August/early September Wind Rivers trip this year. :confused: It's looking grim. One buddy has 2 to 3 "excuses" and won't commit. The other doesn't want to go if it's just him and me. So, I'm left with the options of going solo, canceling altogether, doing a different kind of trip (maybe a fishing trip with my old man, etc. I'm contemplating posting a thread here on BCP asking if anyone is headed out for the same time frame and wants to join me and the one friend (who wasn't excited about a BCP stranger joining) or letting me tag along on their trip. :p I'm still weighing my options and trying to figure out what to do. But I do have some empathy for you now!

Alright, let's say I CONSIDERED going solo out of complete desperation:

Where in the northwest, midwest, Rockies or northeast could I go that was a) a very large wilderness area, b) assured of having MANY people there, and c) wouldn't be problematic as far as needing sometimes impossible to get permits for?
I've only skimmed through here so I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for in landscape as well as if you want to be in one area the entire time or if you are ok going out for a couple days then moving on to a different area. But you could always hit these places for a couple days and then move on. A few recommendations would be:

Bryce Canyon(I don't know much about the permit situation there.)
Coyote Gulch
Canyonlands

What Jackson said is good advice. Both of those wilderness areas have places that meet your criteria.

Funny thing. I'm now in your same boat. I think I mentioned in my earlier reply to this thread that my friends might not be able to backpack with me for our annual late August/early September Wind Rivers trip this year. :confused: It's looking grim. One buddy has 2 to 3 "excuses" and won't commit. The other doesn't want to go if it's just him and me. So, I'm left with the options of going solo, canceling altogether, doing a different kind of trip (maybe a fishing trip with my old man, etc. I'm contemplating posting a thread here on BCP asking if anyone is headed out for the same time frame and wants to join me and the one friend (who wasn't excited about a BCP stranger joining) or letting me tag along on their trip. :p I'm still weighing my options and trying to figure out what to do. But I do have some empathy for you now!

Do we know each other? I kid but I feel like you're talking about me. Between work and some family health issues I've been pretty flakey on my friends lately.

I have been thinking about if I should comment on this because I get frustrated seeing your repeated posts that are primarily complaints about your current friends and wife.

That's just a ridiculous misinterpretation and oversimplification of what I have been saying overall....with all due respect of course.

Edit...thought this was a newer comment and it definitely rubbed me the wrong way because it felt like I was being accused of being a horrible person of some kind and I think I try pretty hard to be decent and kind unless given a reason not to be.

Last edited: