How did you meet most of your backpacking companions?

Maybe try doing some volunteer work or getting involved with organizations that attract like-minded people? I have met several backpacking partners through my volunteer work doing SAR. When the hiking buddies in my old social circle got bogged down with work/kids/bills, etc., I made a bigger circle. (But I also backpack alone… a lot).

I feel your pain. Through the years I have found several backpacking buddies, and we have done trips together for a while, and then, things always seem to happen and before you know it you have gone your separate ways and no longer go together.

It caused me for quite a few years to start going solo. I really enjoyed going solo and it seemed like a good solution for me, but then my wife was diagnosed with cancer at age 35 and it started to feel like it was irresponsible of me to go solo when I still had young kids at home and a wife who had a life threatening illness.

So now I am kind of in a limbo state. I have a sister who often comes with me on trips, but sometimes schedules don't align and I find myself without anyone to go with. I think it's important to be flexible. Sometimes I want to go backpacking, but okay, I will just do a nice dayhike today instead. Or sometimes if you want a bit more but don't want to backpack solo you can still drive somewhere cool and camp in a campground, and then do a bunch of day hikes to explore the area. Any of those options are better then just sitting home feeling sorry for yourself.

As my kids get older I hope they will become my reliable backpacking buddies. I've started taking them on quick overnighters around here and they seem to enjoy it. Just have to keep it up.

Grab your tent and your sack and go sit in the woods by yourself for a night or two. You won't die.

Sorry, that won't give me much pleasure - and before this turns into a me vs everybody else thing acknowledge that that's pretty useless advice.

Maybe try doing some volunteer work or getting involved with organizations that attract like-minded people? I have met several backpacking partners through my volunteer work doing SAR. When the hiking buddies in my old social circle got bogged down with work/kids/bills, etc., I made a bigger circle. (But I also backpack alone… a lot).

Yes, I need to create a bigger circle. Sometimes I am perplexed at how to exactly. That's what I'm pretty much saying here. Thanks for the suggestions, I do appreciate all of them.

I feel your pain. Through the years I have found several backpacking buddies, and we have done trips together for a while, and then, things always seem to happen and before you know it you have gone your separate ways and no longer go together.

It caused me for quite a few years to start going solo. I really enjoyed going solo and it seemed like a good solution for me, but then my wife was diagnosed with cancer at age 35 and it started to feel like it was irresponsible of me to go solo when I still had young kids at home and a wife who had a life threatening illness.

So now I am kind of in a limbo state. I have a sister who often comes with me on trips, but sometimes schedules don't align and I find myself without anyone to go with. I think it's important to be flexible. Sometimes I want to go backpacking, but okay, I will just do a nice dayhike today instead. Or sometimes if you want a bit more but don't want to backpack solo you can still drive somewhere cool and camp in a campground, and then do a bunch of day hikes to explore the area. Any of those options are better then just sitting home feeling sorry for yourself.

As my kids get older I hope they will become my reliable backpacking buddies. I've started taking them on quick overnighters around here and they seem to enjoy it. Just have to keep it up.

I'm sorry about your wife, I hope she is doing better / well.

I met most of my backpacking buddies by getting outside regularly and actually backpacking, even if the trip wasn't long, epic, or "Serious". Until you're willing to do the same, you have absolutely no one to blame but yourself.

Out west "just backpacking" "nearby" is ENTIRELY different than in urban / suburban places in the northeast. As I said the nearby areas are not interesting at all and it's hard to get in a car alone to go to those far away places regularly. Just admit that your "crapshoots" turned out much differently than mine...luck and where you live and what you do and who you spend time with is an enormous factor.

I met most of my backpacking buddies by getting outside regularly and actually backpacking, even if the trip wasn't long, epic, or "Serious". Until you're willing to do the same, you have absolutely no one to blame but yourself.

And please stop throwing the word "serious" in my face....an explanation I gave a while back may have been poorly worded but it was DEFINITELY misconstrued by some of you people...I believe intentionally by some of you...and you knew exactly what I meant...and it was harmless and not offensive. Give me a break.

Last edited:
The guy I did the most trips with ever...maybe 15 or so...took a job in Pennsylvania...he use to live in the Albany NY area and we would continue north to the Adirondacks....we met online when I reached out looking for someone to winter backpack with. He took a chance on me and we ended up getting along well enough to do probably over 15 trips together over 7 or so years...but a few years ago he prioritized his career, doubling his salary and getting his 3 kids through college...nothing wrong with that but he essentially canceled any and all future backpacking trips. He was a really good guy, we got along well, and I just need to meet someone like him or more people like him....people that love the outdoors and like me enough to go with me. This is easier said than done. It's a lot like dating and marriage....there might be astronomically more matches for you out there...and cruel luck and fate might have you meeting none of them....or if you do large chunks of life may go by before you do.

Sorry, that won't give me much pleasure - and before this turns into a me vs everybody else thing acknowledge that that's pretty useless advice.

It's great advice. If you get past your own fears, you open up endless trip possibilities and won't have to rely on anyone else to make them happen.

Or keep posting here, blaming your wife and your friends and the world for your situation, and see how many people that convinces to hang out with you...

Out west "just backpacking" "nearby" is ENTIRELY different than in urban / suburban places in the northeast. As I said the nearby areas are not interesting at all and it's hard to get in a car alone to go to those far away places regularly. Just admit that your "crapshoots" turned out much differently than mine...luck and where you live and what you do and who you spend time with is an enormous factor.
I really think that you are overly romanticizing some of these areas in the West. It is quite possible that sites like this one and instagram are contributing to that image. I think the main point @LarryBoy boy was making was that if backpacking and gaining backpacking partners is your priority you should be taking every opportunity to get out there. Not every trip has to be a world class trip of a lifetime. That is also what the people that are saying to give solo a shot are getting at. They aren't saying go on a 15 day solo into deep wilderness to start. They are saying why not try a solo trip that is short and in a well visited location. I get frustrated when people refuse to do things out of hand. You seem to be wanting backpacking to be a priority in your life but aren't taking advantage of all the options available to you.

You seem to not be getting the responses you want from those commenting on your repeated threads, but I'm not sure any of us are going to change our responses.

I've only been backpacking with two different people--@pixie1339 who I met here on BCP, and @Chris Mosbacker who is a long-time friend. Strangely, I've only tried two solo backpacking trips and failed on both, never even ended up spending the night. But don't let that deter you (oh, wait, you don't even wanna be talked into solo trips). You may want to consider your demeanor when looking for partners, 'cause you kind of come across as a complainy-pants. And maybe it's different in the east. Here in Utah I feel like it's pretty easy to hook up with like-minded partners. I really enjoy when I see people from this forum get together, it seems to happen pretty frequently but mostly only in the western U.S.
Dennis is the night in between the lanes of I-70 going to be the solo trip that works out for you??

It's great advice. If you get past your own fears, you open up endless trip possibilities and won't have to rely on anyone else to make them happen.

Or keep posting here, blaming your wife and your friends and the world for your situation, and see how many people that convinces to hang out with you...

Well I see it won't convince you but it may convince others.

I think intelligent perceptive people can tell that I'm an alright guy, albeit frustrated with my situation.

Dennis is the night in between the lanes of I-70 going to be the solo trip that works out for you??
Haha...that will be neither solo nor backpacking. I'm planning on dropping off gear, then driving about five miles to reach a dirt road that's only maybe a quarter-mile away and hopping the fence to get back between the lanes. Might even have a camp fire if I'm feeling daring/sheltered enough.

You know, I’m actually beginning to think Forest Dweller is trolling us.

Not trolling anyone, was just hoping some people here might be able to recommend something I didn't consider to solve a problem I'm having as it relates to backpacking.