Guess the spot

Yep Bob Ross Peak, part of the ********** Range. Who knew? Love those happy trees.

Actually, it is named for one of the landscape painters, I have been waiting for @Absarokanaut to chime in, if that helps as a slight clue. And no, it's not in the Absarokas.

Last edited:
Sorry Skipper, you must put your answer in the form of a question (Jeopardy fan). Just kidding, it is Mt Moran and East Horn from the north side.
And I think you guessed every mountain range with 500 miles of Yellowstone but NOT the Teton Range.

You're up!

I knew it was Moran the whole time, I just wanted to give someone else a chance. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

OK, here's one (not a great photo, and not in Utah) - name the arch or where it's at (and the jaggies are actually part of the arch, not pixels):

IMG_0812.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a hint: one of our illustrious and intrepid members can look up and see this arch anytime he's in the right part of the valley, as can about 60,000+ others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben
Ben, now don't know the exact exact location of this photo. But it seems in this photo somewhere possibly near Talkeetna, Alaska or so. Do think that white peak in the distance is the top of Denali - McKinley Peak in the photo. Then the other mountains nearby. Possibly you were up in the State Park up from Talkeetna along the Susitna River? So much country in that area.

Personally in my travels in Alaska, have been to Denali NP several times extensively and seen all kinds of things there. Several times have seen Denali under clear skies. Seen Grizzlies, Wolves, Lynx, Caribou, Moose, Dall Sheep, and more in Denali NP. Excellent Excellent Place!!! And also with having been in Denali NP, don't think this was taken in Denali NP for the mountains are too far distant.

Ben, now don't know the exact exact location of this photo. But it seems in this photo somewhere possibly near Talkeetna, Alaska or so. Do think that white peak in the distance is the top of Denali - McKinley Peak in the photo. Then the other mountains nearby. Possibly you were up in the State Park up from Talkeetna along the Susitna River? So much country in that area.

Personally in my travels in Alaska, have been to Denali NP several times extensively and seen all kinds of things there. Several times have seen Denali under clear skies. Seen Grizzlies, Wolves, Lynx, Caribou, Moose, Dall Sheep, and more in Denali NP. Excellent Excellent Place!!! And also with having been in Denali NP, don't think this was taken in Denali NP for the mountains are too far distant.

That white peak is indeed Denali. You're up. I couldn't tell you exactly where the spot is the photo is taken from either. Maybe @Outdoor_Fool could. There's a stop along the highway for the viewpoint complete with restrooms and ample parking.

I think you were at the northern segment of Denali State Park (the Parks Hwy cuts it in half). I spent one mosquito hell night there with a big bull moose also just outside my car, but the views of the Moose Tooth were great through my binoculars. There are restrooms there and big placards about the geology and such.

Ben, so I am up ... do understand in what you are saying. I myself have been both by train and shuttle bus from between Talkeetna and Denali. And I know it was on that side of the mountains. Nice Country in there. Glad that you were able to see that country.

Now here is my photo .... somewhere I love and where I have been many a time. Great wild place where one can be all by their lonesome.

p1253791582-4.jpg

Last edited:
@Ben , from the angle of the photo, it looks like it was taken from the Denali Viewpoint South area overlooking the Chulitna River. It's about MP 134 on the Parks Highway or about 34 miles north of the Talkeetna cutoff.

@Ben , from the angle of the photo, it looks like it was taken from the Denali Viewpoint South area overlooking the Chulitna River. It's about MP 134 on the Parks Highway or about 34 miles north of the Talkeetna cutoff.

That sounds right.