Guess the spot

Is that a picture from 1985?
Yes it is. I have come to call it my "Death Walk" (as opposed to Death March). 20 mile day hiking from Canadian border toward Elizabeth until I got to the cutoff trail over to Cosley, then back to Glenns Lake then back to my car. Negligible elevation until the last climb up to my car....thus "Death Walk"

Last edited:
Sand Creek is beautiful @Artemus & @Joey, but it isn't. :)
Deer Creek? Nope - sorry.
But... there is a short cut route into this "canyon" and Arthemus has crossed these several times. ;)

My pleasure. :)
And yes, that's Steep Creek. U'r up.

Gesendet von meinem iPadAir2 mit TapaTalk

My pleasure. :)
And yes, that's Steep Creek. U'r up.
Aha! I've never walked in it - but I was just camped above it last weekend :) Jammer has walked all the way down it from the top. Is the bushwacking nasty?

Yes. The bushwhacking isn't the nicest part.

Walk in w/ river access?

Dark Canyon. Planning to take my pack raft there this spring. :)
Actually the main canyon in view is Lean-To. Dark canyon is crossing from right to left in the middle ground. But since it is Xmas time I'm giving it to you. :)

BTW I would take your patch kit if you plan on floating Dark Canyon because of the abrasion-induced holes. It is only about 4" deep and few feet wide in the places that it exists as water at all.....:whistle:

Dark to Cataract to Lake Foul ???? I wonder if I can carry my duckie down the Sundance trail.....

Where were you last weekend when half the people I know jumped on the packraft bandwagon?? Get with the program! :)

There are some nice route options starting down Dark and taking out further down. Out at Hite for a quick trip, or extend it and go down to Farley, White, Trachyte or Fourmile. Fourmile would be a more than a bit of reservoir paddling, but that's one I'd love to follow all the way out through the saddle beetween Holmes and Ellsworth.

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 4.48.40 PM.png

But as for the point of this thread, here's the next pic.

IMG_5600.jpg

Looks familiar, wedge overlook in San rafael swell?

Good guess, but this is not in the Swell. Many people have seen a similar view from the other side of this bench, but it takes a wild ride on a sandy two track to get to this particular view point.

Well, could be the Henry's in the background so this could be the Dirty Devil drainage and this could be a viewpoint on the Devil's west bank north of Burr Point and knowing you there is probably no sane human being that could drive that two track so I've never been there. :moses: And now you'll tell me it is totally on the other side of the Henry's in Escalante country....

Where were you last weekend when half the people I know jumped on the packraft bandwagon?? Get with the program! :)

Hey, I just bought my duckie and I haven't even gotten my new IK wet much less be able to buy a packraft! I will forever be a generation behind you and @River and @Kullaberg63.

@Nick how much of the Colorado is flat water between dark canyon and white now.

@Nick how much of the Colorado is flat water between dark canyon and white now.

If by flat water, you mean reservoir water, I'm not sure, but based on the lake elevation and historical sat levels, I'd guess the reservoir starts within a mile downstream of Hite right now. I'm hoping by April that it will have dropped another 10-15 feet which should add several miles of river on.

Hey, did you see my guess ? :rolleyes:

Probably contributing to the thread distraction but how much white water would you expect between Dark and below Hite? I guess you plan on portaging since you got the new packraft w/o the spray skirt....