Guess the spot: Utah Edition

Is the sheepherders exit different from the cattle/stock trail exit I've read about? The photo's @BJett posted of his Trifecta trip look different for the cattle trail exit. This was on my todo list, but that picture you posted looks crazy.
This is not the cattle trail exit/entrance. The chopped steps are just down canyon from the end of the Davis Gulch slot. The cattle trail is much farther down canyon.

This is not the cattle trail exit/entrance. The chopped steps are just down canyon from the end of the Davis Gulch slot. The cattle trail is much farther down canyon.
Thanks for confirming. Sounds like a trek from Fifty Mile to Davis is back on my list. :lol:

Is the sheepherders exit different from the cattle/stock trail exit I've read about? The photo's @BJett posted of his Trifecta trip look different for the cattle trail exit. This was on my todo list, but that picture you posted looks crazy.

Not the stock trail for sure. Steve Allen in C3 says something about the moki steps likely being deepen by Navajo or Paiute sheepherders. Bolder canyoneers do use this as an exit in order to avoid the atrocious bushwhack downstream and long slog back to the TH. There is another set not far from here that traverses a smooth, near vertical wall that are the sketchiest I have seen. Its hard to imagine someone carving them.

The upper part of this canyon exit is unique and much photographed. This is what you have to climb to get to the more famous part, though. What canyon is this?
Shot Canyon in the Maze? I don't remember it looking like that, but it matches your description

Shot Canyon in the Maze? I don't remember it looking like that, but it matches your description

You got it. You climb up that stuff in the picture to get to the upper part with the old "stairs".

moab17-151-L.jpg

Pollys maybe

Where are we....................DSC01119.JPG

But where.... grand gulch area is big

Your up

Back