Guess the spot: Utah Edition

Looks like something you might find up Factory Butte way?
Nice photo!

Thanks, I will tell Rick! Not up the Factory Butte way.... but your guess is "warm".
It was a photography stop, not far from a popular backpacking route with more colorful formations.

Thanks, I will tell Rick! Not up the Factory Butte way.... but your guess is "warm".
It was a photography stop, not far from a popular backpacking route with more colorful formations.

Same rock formation as Factory perhaps? What is Factory exactly: Morrison, Dakota, or Mancos sandstones...

I've been going through this list trying to think of anything that fits. Not helping a lot. Haha.

So I'll throw out a guess. Mancos Mesa WSA.

Same rock formation as Factory perhaps? What is Factory exactly: Morrison, Dakota, or Mancos sandstones...

@Jackson - not Mancos Mesa WSA.

@John Morrow - if I turn on the "Bedrock" feature in the Gaia App, then it shows it's the same color/bedrock as in the Factory Butte area. I do not know exactly what the bedrock is called. Another hint: If you turn around and walk west the Bedrock is dramatically different, many different colors in Gaia (and very scenic to watch in person and that area is much more familiar to most).

no..... but the first guess is getting hot!

Well, if it's hot I guess I'll throw in the Mt. Pennel WSA, being the second major peak in the Henrys, before letting someone else have a turn to guess.

That’s it @UtahBrian - you are up!

Here is the photo with coordinates, it's shot in a SE direction right off a pull out on Burr trail rd, (kind of in between Halls Creek Overlook south of the pull out and the switchbacks north of the pull out). The gps coordinates of the rock formation in the photo is attached below.
The border of the Mount Pennel Wilderness Study Area runs right up against Burr trail rd at that particular pull out, according to Gaia.

Here is more info about the Henry Mountains Wilderness units http://action.suwa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=WATE_henrymtns#u3

@John Morrow - I was thinking Halls Creek Narrows, doesn't it start at the overlook with views over the Waterpocket Fold?
Lower Muley Twist loop would also fit (though I'm guessing you or @fossana might handle the Lower Muley Twist loop as a long day hike :))

Mt Pennel WSA.jpg

Attachments

• Wpt_1-17-20-62929_PM.gpx
    445 bytes · Views: 7
Looking down at those mesas at the base of the Henrys was the view of the happiest moment of my life.

I'd brought my five year old on a backpacking trip in the Waterpocket Fold. It was a winter trip and the fresh water spring near our camp froze solid overnight but we warmed up as we hiked up over the Fold on the Post cutoff. There was ice over part of the trail and I passed it with a little climbing, including a section of stemming with left and right foot on opposite walls. My daughter wanted to learn how to do it, so I taught her to put her little feet on one side and her hands on the other and walk her way up horizontally.

Then on top we looked out over the Henrys mesas in full warm sun. I got out the organic peanut butter and Braeburn apples and wheat crackers. There was an eight foot high block boulder with vertical sides behind my sunny view spot on the ridge and she would scale the back side of it repeatedly and then fling herself giggling off the edge into my waiting hands below. We'd share a peanut butter apple slice and a cracker and she'd climb up again.

When we got back to camp I discovered that she had overstuffed her tiny little pack with an explosion of stuffed animals and that she'd transferred all the sweet snacks for the whole trip into her bag while I wasn't looking.
--

Okay, friends. It's winter around here, so tell me where this one is.

Last edited:
Could that be a bridge and such over City Creek near downtown Salt Lake City. Have been up there a time or two.

Could that be a bridge and such over City Creek near downtown Salt Lake City. Have been up there a time or two.

Yes it is, Kmy. It’s seven miles upcanyon from downtown, 200 yards from the end of the road. Inside the municipal borders of SLC. (There are not a lot of Salt Lake City street scenes in this thread.)

You’re up.

Utah Brian, Now that is what I thought when I first saw your photo. Have been up City Creek many a time when visiting Salt Lake City.

Now here is the next photo. Hope everyone enjoys!

p1058990467-4.jpg

Last edited: