Guess the spot: Utah Edition

Found it - going up into Indian Canyon, been right by there a number of times. Very cool country. Here are my two screenshots:

View attachment 57460 View attachment 57461
That's it! The rock art seems like it's in an unusual location. Makes me wonder if there are some pit houses nearby. There's more rock art (Ute petroglyphs) in a nearby canyon that I haven't been to yet.

Really? Are you sure? :)

OK, here's one - some of you may love this place while others hate it. Me, I think it's an entertaining place to camp when just passing through - and my tire-biter dogs love it (big hint). Name the actual place, not just the area.

View attachment 57436

Beautiful. Are we near Hanksvill?
Really? Are you sure? :)

OK, here's one - some of you may love this place while others hate it. Me, I think it's an entertaining place to camp when just passing through - and my tire-biter dogs love it (big hint). Name the actual place, not just the area.

View attachment 57436

Why swingarm city and who is Ben?

As for Ben, I have no idea who he really is...but he says he loves this site, and I do, too. :)

And the above photo is not near Hanksville, but I know you've been there or close. In fact, you were just in the vicinity on your way back from your latest camping trip.

I have no idea where the name Swing Arm City came from, but I suspect it's a dirt bike term, as bikes have swing arms.

swing-arm-lrg-map.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool!

Where is this?

View attachment 57462

Don't know but it sure is beautiful. Taken from a plane? Reminds me of the rocks just as you enter the two main camps in the Doll House.
As for Ben, I have no idea who he really is...but he says he loves this site, and I do, too. :)

And the above photo is not near Hanksville, but I know you've been there or close. In fact, you were just in the vicinity on your way back from your latest camping trip.

I have no idea where the name Swing Arm City came from, but I suspect it's a dirt bike term, as bikes have swing arms.

View attachment 57463

Okay. I've been all over that area. Big trip coming up in late September with Ross from England. My last trip was to the Wedge for two nights, Warner Lake for four nights, then the Wedge for one night on the way home. I seek lightning and Warner Lake did not disappoint. Are you familiar with Buckeye on the east side of the LaSals? Is it worth the drive other than I don't have to hide my pipe?

Reactions: Ben
Yes, taken from a plane. In fact, the airport is very close. You know where it is, even if you don't know you know. :) You've been within about 10 miles or less of it. Not anywhere close to the Maze.

LOL on hiding the pipe - better hide it till you get there. I've been to Buckeye, but it's not really a destination in my book, given that the San Juans aren't too much further east, but it's pretty in its own way.

Might add that the scrub oak in this part of Colorado is already turning, so Buckeye might be turned by then also. Aspen colors should be prime for the higher mtns by then, though.

Last edited:
Yes, taken from a plane. In fact, the airport is very close. You know where it is, even if you don't know you know. :) Not anywhere close to the Maze.

LOL on hiding the pipe - better hide it till you get there. I've been to Buckeye, but it's not really a destination in my book, give that the San Juans aren't too much further east, but it's pretty in its own way.

Okay. Did they have the cool stove stands when you were at Warner?

I edited my message above to say you've been within 10 miles of it, maybe closer. I don't recall any stove stands, but I always cook on my one-burner Coleman on the tailgate, so I don't pay attention to such things. Actually, I usually don't cook at all, but eat gorp and little white donuts and stuff like that. :)

As for teasing you, what day did you return from Warner? That was the day you were so close to it, in fact, you probably even gazed over at it. :D Oh, and also the day you went to Warner, unless you drove the River Road, then you weren't close at all.

Last edited:
I edited my message above to say you've been within 10 miles of it, maybe closer. I don't recall any stove stands, but I always cook on my one-burner Coleman on the tailgate, so I don't pay attention to such things. Actually, I usually don't cook at all, but eat gorp and little white donuts and stuff like that. :)

As for teasing you, what day did you return from Warner? That was the day you were so close to it, in fact, you probably even gazed over at it. :D Oh, and also the day you went to Warner, unless you drove the River Road, then you weren't close at all.

It's a 4' pipe with a platform for the stove. I must heat water in the morning. It's coffee or violence. The choice is yours. Okay, coffee or pouting but I am a master pouter. I can pout you to violence.

I went up from Spanish Valley. I'm sure I went through that layer. Maybe Spanish Valley overlook.

No, not Spanish V. or close. You're above that layer. Go north, young man, go north.

I, too, am a coffee-based life form. I do have to admit I use my stove in the mornings for hot water. I fire up my stove w/o even getting out of my bag.

That's the same layer (Moab Tongue) that makes up the Biscuits over in Arches, but this isn't in Arches. The Moab Tongue used to be considered the uppermost member of the Entrada Fm but is now considered the lowest layer of the Carmel Fm. IIRC.

Last edited:
No, not Spanish V. or close. You're above that layer. Go north, young man, go north.

I, too, am a coffee-based life form. I do have to admit I use my stove in the mornings for hot water. I fire up my stove w/o even getting out of my bag.

That's the same layer (Moab Tongue) that makes up the Biscuits over in Arches, but this isn't in Arches. The Moab Tongue used to be considered the uppermost member of the Entrada Fm but is now considered the lowest layer of the Carmel Fm. IIRC.

Okay, I'm confused.

Will you marry me? I'm a slob but I have lots of campfire stories. ;)

Sure. I'm a sucker for campfire stories. Meet me at the above spot. :smilecoffee:

Let's see...airport, white biscuit rocks, you can see it as you pass by, not Arches, north of town...

Last edited:
OK, since that one doesn't seem to be getting any guesses, it's the view of Tusher Canyon as you're taking off from the Moab airport.

Here's a new one - kind of hazy but should be easier:

wherever.JPG