Guess the spot: Utah Edition

You’re up John, [emoji4]
It’s Maverick Canyon seen from Weavers.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Well, I was close! I knew that scene looked familiar. Below, another view of Maverick/Weavers canyon, from above to the south. Also looking north into Phipps Wash at far right. IMGP0659-copy.jpg
My question is: has anyone here accessed Phipps Arch from here? It's on the to-do list and I know that it can be done, as a certain pair of guidebook authors have a Weavers-Phipps hike on their list of guided hikes.

Well, I was close! I knew that scene looked familiar. Below, another view of Maverick/Weavers canyon, from above to the south. Also looking north into Phipps Wash at far right. View attachment 108434
My question is: has anyone here accessed Phipps Arch from here? It's on the to-do list and I know that it can be done, as a certain pair of guidebook authors have a Weavers-Phipps hike on their list of guided hikes.

I can PM you a map. I'd not have figured it out but met a guide with clients while in Phipps! Would have struck out in Mav Canyon w/o an exit.

I can PM you a map. I'd not have figured it out but met a guide with clients while in Phipps! Would have struck out in Mav Canyon w/o an exit.
I"d love to get this as well if you don't mind sharing-- I have a couple of potential routes marked on google and has hoping to link up these areas!

is this a far-south Escalante canyon with Navajo Mountain in the background?

ok, so those are the lower cliff bands of the straight cliffs then -- Reflection Canyon looks pretty likely maybe

normally the presence of a mountain range in the background is a pretty easy giveaway but I don't recognize these, argh! can I ask if this is the Tushars?

@regehr - not the Tushars

@Pukwudgie - indeed the Abajos in the distance. Looking towards the Abajos in the NE direction.
The Cheese and Raisin Hills are not in this photo (according to Gaia), but its a warm guess!

The white color of the slick rock in the foreground and the "feature" splitting the photo midway should give it away, if you look on satellite.
Just an approximate description will do.

Last edited:
Back