Grand Canyon: Fishtail Mesa Loop

Just talked to Pipe Springs N.M. and they DO permit for the GC (by actually calling the GC backcountry office) so great tip Jammer. They are only open 8-5 so have some of the same constraints as the BLM Interagency office in St. George but they are much more en route. Jammer and Bob, I am striving to be able to set my bag up on the rim at Kanab Point so I will continue to work towards the permit. If I fumble that ball I will use both your advice for camping probably farther north, on the rim of Kanab Creek, or even across the Kanab Creek at Sowatts Point where the difficult to get permits are unnecessary. Thanks for both your help! Stellar weather forecast and the Pipe Springs guy said the roads I am headin on have been graded this year. Maps and waypoints for the plateau loaded up. Stoked !

Yea! I can pick you up in the St. George airport tomorrow afternoon...

I'd say I'd go along, but promised a buddy help for his late bull elk hunt next week...to much cramming

Now I am working to find that informal trail/route down to FlipOff or down into Chamberlain before I leave. I'll get the recon done and we can go as a group next year. :twothumbs:

Now I am working to find that informal trail/route down to FlipOff or down into Chamberlain before I leave. I'll get the recon done and we can go as a group next year. :twothumbs:

I've done a lot of backpacking in this area (Flipoff, Sowats. Indian Hollow, Kwagunt, Chamberlain, Jumpup). See my website for information regarding Flipoff at bobbordasch.com

Hey, Bob B........ I'm the guy who emailed you about Cranberry last spring...... Excellent trip, thanks for your input. The crack was no big deal, but the traverse was a pucker..... :frantic: ....... Dirt was rock hard, had to be extremely careful on foot placement. We found it was easier (if you call it that) to go right below the redwall for a ways then drop down to a semblance of a trail....

Can anyone give me a cliff notes version of how to get backcountry permits for the National Park section?
Thanks,
John

Think we just got a dispersed camp permit. The park is broken into large sections. Anything around deer Creek is hard tho. Stayed by Colorado one nite in the esplanade another.... Everywhere else out of the park

Think we just got a dispersed camp permit. The park is broken into large sections. Anything around deer Creek is hard tho. Stayed by Colorado one nite in the esplanade another.... Everywhere else out of the park

Is it mail in or is there an office north of the rim like Kanab BLM or USFS that works with NPS to issue permits?

Mail fax or in person. Pretty sure Backcountry office at north rim.. may Google and call to find out ..... Been a lot of years ago so may have changed. Probly similar to Yellowstone tho

Mail fax or in person. Pretty sure Backcountry office at north rim.. may Google and call to find out ..... Been a lot of years ago so may have changed. Probly similar to Yellowstone tho

Thanks Bob. Google search:
Just saw that Lees Ferry NPS station or Visitor Center in St George will issue first come first serve permits for north side to save the long drive to South Rim. Only 2 per day for the whole lower Kanab zone.

Thanks Bob. Google search:
Just saw that Lees Ferry NPS station or Visitor Center in St George will issue first come first serve permits for north side to save the long drive to South Rim. Only 2 per day for the whole lower Kanab zone.
Yeah .... North rim would br closed. Access to Kanab can be sketchy with snowpack.... The road goes over a couple high shady spots.

Yeah .... North rim would br closed. Access to Kanab can be sketchy with snowpack.... The road goes over a couple high shady spots.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't got that far in planning. Indian Hollow would be likely start. Still potential for snow April 5? I know it is a deep snow winter down there.

Yes.... Check out Google Earth or topo roads.... Past usfs guard station...think big springs, road goes high.... Snow covered. Think we went in mid May and busted drifts. Seems like we bypassed most with a lower indirect road system. We went down jump-off th. My GPS track is in resources section.

Yes.... Check out Google Earth or topo roads.... Past usfs guard station...think big springs, road goes high.... Snow covered. Think we went in mid May and busted drifts. Seems like we bypassed most with a lower indirect road system. We went down jump-off th. My GPS track is in resources section.

Yeah, just so happens I have seen several April TRs but there have been numerous drought winters for the past ten years. Hot on the bottom yet can't get to it!