Goblin Valley + Little Wild Horse Canyon - April 2012 (Boy Scouts)

barl0w

I slay white dragons, adventure, and take photos
First off, I want to say thanks for all of the advice I received on my trip planning thread. It was a ton of help, and the scouts and leaders had a great time.

We were able to send a leader down early Friday afternoon, and secure a spot just west of the park along Wild Horse Road in the open camp spots up against the cliffs.

DSC_1898.jpg

The campsite was perfect - it helped shelter us a bit from the chilly wind and gave our group a bit of privacy, as we played laser tag and capture the flag after a dutch over dinner of pulled pork with peach cake mix cobbler for dessert.

While the kids were playing in the dark, I took the opportunity to shoot some photos:

DSC_1859.jpg

DSC_1894_2.jpg

But, having gone snowboarding in the morning, and driving down to Goblin Valley, I was beat, and made sure the kids were having fun, and then got to bed. It got a bit chilly at night - but I'm sure as the days and weeks go on into summer, that won't be a problem anymore.

The next morning we broke camp after making breakfast burritos and lunch (PB & J + chips) combined with a little cliff exploring (see photo above). After packing up, we went over to the State Park for an hour and roamed around taking in the sights.

DSC_1964.jpg

After that we drove to Little Wild Horse Canyon. I was hoping we would try out Ding/Dang, but we wanted to hit the road by 1 pm to get the kids back at a reasonable time. So we hiked up Little Wild Horse for 40 mins, ate lunch, and hiked back down. It turned out to be a good "training" run for some of the kids, and all-in-all, we all had fun.

DSC_1988.jpg

DSC_2037.jpg

DSC_1999_2000_2001_2002_2003_2004_2005_TM2.jpg

On a personal note, this was my first time to Goblin Valley. It was a great trial run for me to know where to camp, what activities there are, and where to hike when taking the family. I'm sure we'd have a blast.

Quick note that along the Little Wild Horse trail, we saw a ton of kids, and a handful of unleashed pets (dogs). There is also a pit toilet at the trailhead, and inside the park and park campsites.

Featured image for slideshow:
slide.jpg

Go-deep

Thanks for sharing, I will be heading down there this weekend with 2 of my boys for our fisrt time. We are all excited about this trip, we have canceled the last 2 times that we were planning on going down due to rain, but this weekend looks great.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nick Little Wild Horse Canyon and Goblin Valley Hiking & Camping 1
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
Mikjik86 Good car camping? Stuff to do near Goblin Valley area Feb 24,25,26? Trip Planning 15
TrektheWorld End of March - Goblin Valley area with kids Trip Planning 11
Ross The Needles, Behind the Rocks and Goblin Valley area Hiking & Camping 5
WasatchWill Family's First Visit to Goblin Valley Hiking & Camping 2
Howells Outdoors Goblin Valley visited by morons General Discussion 19
Christian Goblin Valley to Moab Hiking & Camping 9
Bill Chamber of the Basilisk Goblin Valley 4.2013 Canyoneering 5
alene Ding Canyon and Goblin Valley March 2012 Hiking & Camping 5
barl0w Goblin Valley with Boy Scouts - Apr 27-28 Trip Planning 3
Tyler Roost Country: Keg Knoll, Colonnade Arch, Moonshine Wash, Goblin Valley Hiking & Camping 1
K Goblin Valley Yurts General Discussion 5
Udink Goblin and Joe's Hiking & Camping 5
K Hello from the Salt Lake Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 0
T Death valley Trip Planning 3
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 3 - 'Desolation Valley' to Halls Lake Backpacking 15
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 2 - Cirque of the Towers to 'Desolation Valley' Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley in a Day -- September 17 2021 Hiking & Camping 27
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. Upper Monarch Canyon plus. Dec 1, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 27
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
Burrito Death Valley van trip turns into something pretty special General Discussion 7
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
TheMountainRabbit Lamar River, Mirror Plateau, and Pelican Valley (Yellowstone NP) - mid-September 2020 Backpacking 28
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 4
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 2 (3.7.20-03.8.20) Backpacking 15
A Info on Tehipite Valley Trip Planning 1
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 1 (3.5.20-3.6.20) Hiking & Camping 28
Kullaberg63 Pack Creek to Castle Valley - below the rim. Backpacking 0
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Backpacking 7
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Hiking & Camping 2
Scott Chandler Death Valley Trip Planning 7
J Death Valley National Park Keene Canyon-Wonder Mine Loop. Dec. 3, 2019 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl Pk Ibex Peak, Jubliee Mtn, Virgin Springs summits Dec. 2, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley NP: Corkscrew and Artist Palette Peaks, scramble dayhikes Nov 2019 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP. Marble-Cottonwood (side slot) lollipop loop Nov 17-19,2019 Backpacking 10
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
fossana Browns Point > Summit > Whipple loop (Pine Valley Mountains Wilderness, UT) Hiking & Camping 1
swmalone Questions about Lamar Valley Hikes Trip Planning 9
Yvonne Kolob Terrace exploration: from Hop Valley to North Gate Peaks, May 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
C Skutumpah road closed at Bull Valley Gorge General Discussion 9
Stephanie B Grotto, Hidden Valley, and Moab Mastadon Hiking & Camping 2