Goblin Valley with Boy Scouts - Apr 27-28

barl0w

I slay white dragons, adventure, and take photos
Hello everyone!

I'm headed to Goblin Valley with the local Boy Scouts for a 1-nighter, and would like to get your thoughts on (1) places for the group to see/experience as a day hike (2) things that I shouldn't miss shooting (with my camera) (3) advice on a location to camp Friday night, and (4) anything else in general. We will have around 15 young men and 5 leaders.

The plan is:

Depart to Goblin Valley: Leave after school on Friday, setup camp, and eat dinner. Play lazer tag or capture the flag, then have a campfire / smores or some dessert / devotional and sleep.

On Saturday: Eat breakfast, clean-up, pack, and do 1 hike that will challenge the group. No restrictions on difficulty, but we will want the experience to positive, to be approved (no hard-core rappelling/climbing this time) and to be at the cars to head back latest at 3 pm.

The official park sites have all been reserved, but I've been told that there is primitive camping nearby. For a group this size, do you have any recommendations on a location that we should really try to get?

We've also talked about staying near/in Wild Horse Canyon and then driving back to Goblin - is this feasible, and would there be any advantage? Or perhaps doing the opposite?

Quite selfishly, I would like to take photos - sunset (if we make it in time) shots, star trail shots, a sunrise shot. What location(s) do you recommend I check out?

This is my first time going there, and I'm quite excited!

TIA -

Scott

I think your best bet will be along the road to LWHC where there are some nice mini goblin spots at the base of the entrada.cliffs These sites are by no means secret so try to get there early. Over the last 10 years or the Goblin Valley area has been "discovered" and sees an insane amount of traffic... on a recent trip we counted 90+ cars at the LWHC trail head. I have a few spots that I like to camp but I'm not those out for a scout trip (and those spots are way too small for 20people).

Lots of great hikes in the area, I highly suggest the Ding Dang loop but that may depend on the strength of your group. No rope required but a 20' hand line would be useful for the half dozen dry falls that range from 7-12'. I prefer to go up Dang and down Ding while most sites recommend going the opposite direction. Dang is more likely to hold water and contains most of the obstacles that could potentially stop you.

This spot is here 38.574374,-110.765707

Winter Camp by Summit42, on Flickr

This spot is here 38.575061,-110.732278

Muddy Camp by Summit42, on Flickr

My wife bypassing the 15' dryfall in Dang

Swell-10-18-2008 (93) by Summit42, on Flickr

I'd echo Summit: Ding/Dang loop would be good for the boy scouts. I have personally never done Dang, but from everything I've heard the big dry fall can be bypassed or for a little adventure for some of the older kids, do the hand-line thing.

Camping for that group could be done in the spots that Summit suggested, but you could also try driving into the main road through Temple wash and hopefully find some sites through out there (38.659820, -110.669113). Like Summit said, the place packs up quickly so you should plan on doing a little searching while you're there.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
barl0w Goblin Valley + Little Wild Horse Canyon - April 2012 (Boy Scouts) Hiking & Camping 4
RyanP Goblin Valley SP Expansion General Discussion 3
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
Mikjik86 Good car camping? Stuff to do near Goblin Valley area Feb 24,25,26? Trip Planning 15
TrektheWorld End of March - Goblin Valley area with kids Trip Planning 11
Ross The Needles, Behind the Rocks and Goblin Valley area Hiking & Camping 5
WasatchWill Family's First Visit to Goblin Valley Hiking & Camping 2
Howells Outdoors Goblin Valley visited by morons General Discussion 19
Christian Goblin Valley to Moab Hiking & Camping 9
Bill Chamber of the Basilisk Goblin Valley 4.2013 Canyoneering 5
alene Ding Canyon and Goblin Valley March 2012 Hiking & Camping 5
Tyler Roost Country: Keg Knoll, Colonnade Arch, Moonshine Wash, Goblin Valley Hiking & Camping 1
Nick Little Wild Horse Canyon and Goblin Valley Hiking & Camping 1
K Goblin Valley Yurts General Discussion 5
Udink Goblin and Joe's Hiking & Camping 5
regehr kayaking death valley On The Water 1
balzaccom Death Valley in January Hiking & Camping 3
B March at Valley of Fire other recommendations in the area Trip Planning 7
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
wsp_scott Yosemite Valley 2022 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
D Onion Valley to Whitney Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
K Hello from the Salt Lake Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 0
T Death valley Trip Planning 3
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 3 - 'Desolation Valley' to Halls Lake Backpacking 15
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 2 - Cirque of the Towers to 'Desolation Valley' Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley in a Day -- September 17 2021 Hiking & Camping 27
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. Upper Monarch Canyon plus. Dec 1, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
Burrito Death Valley van trip turns into something pretty special General Discussion 7
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
TheMountainRabbit Lamar River, Mirror Plateau, and Pelican Valley (Yellowstone NP) - mid-September 2020 Backpacking 28
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 4
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 2 (3.7.20-03.8.20) Backpacking 15
A Info on Tehipite Valley Trip Planning 1
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 1 (3.5.20-3.6.20) Hiking & Camping 28
Kullaberg63 Pack Creek to Castle Valley - below the rim. Backpacking 0