Floating through Labyrinth Canyon

gnwatts

We all met up a couple of Friday mornings ago, getting together to float through one of the most beautiful places on the planet, through Labyrinth Canyon from Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom on the Green River. Nick I had met once, but I had never met Charlie or Nate.

So off we went, Charlie in the front of my canoe and Nick and Nate in their kayaks. We didn't have far to go, maybe 45 miles, with plenty of time to do it in.

The weather was perfect, low 70's upper 60's. No one around.

IMG_2798 (1).jpg

Moon light shots from our first camp:

IMG_2806 (2).jpg

IMG_2817 (1).jpg

Day hike the next day, to get a better look:

IMG_2831 (1).jpg

From our second camp spot, Register Rock is at the mouth of the side canyon, this side:

IMG_2908 (1).jpg

IMG_2916 (1).jpg

Charlie's camp spot:

IMG_2926 (2).jpg

Register Rock:

IMG_2945 (1).jpg

Looking back towards our camp:

IMG_2944 - Version 2.jpg

IMG_2956 (1).jpg

IMG_2995 - Version 2 (1).jpg

From our last camp spot:

Approaching Mineral Bottom:

IMG_3015 (1).jpg

It was a great trip. Plenty of time floating and paddling on glassy waters, incredible scenery, plenty of beer and good company.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
Love this stretch of river. Wish I could have been along for the float.

Nick

Spiral out.
Oh man that was an awesome trip and you captured it beautifully, Greg! Your photos really bring me back. I can't believe that was 4 days of floating, it felt like it just went by so fast. Can't wait to go back.

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
Somebody recently asked me if I want to do a float trip. Where did you put in and where did you pull out?
Is there a time of year that is better for this stretch? Thanks. While I love the red rocks,
there is a majestic quality that the black white brings out. I love 'em, totally awesome!

Nick

Spiral out.
Any luck finding that cheemicowbra?

Oddly enough, we did find sign of the cheemicowbra on one of our sandy beach campsites up near Trin Alcove Bend so they must get down there too!

gnwatts

Thanks for the comments.
DrNed, we put in at Ruby Ranch and took out at Mineral Bottom.
Cheemicowbra?
Never saw him (or her).

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

DrNed

How early in the year is the water warm enough to swim in? Thanks

Dave

I swam in it in April and it was plenty cold. The Green develops ice in the winter and carries a lot of snowmelt.

DrNed

@ashergrey - that's what I was afraid of. Kids have spring break in mid April and we discussed doing
this trip then. Thanks for your advice!

Dave

It's totally worth doing in April, in my opinion. Much later in the season and the heat becomes an issue.

Nick

Spiral out.
That coyote experience was amazing. There were dozens of geese in the water and I totally thought he was just swimming out to maybe try to get one. He ended up swimming right through the middle of them and all the way across the river and out the other side. He was so close that I could have easily tossed in some paddle strokes and t-boned the little guy. Totally amazing experience and nice shot of it, Nate.