Floating through Labyrinth Canyon

gnwatts

I0000vyJXBM8tjLc.jpg

We all met up a couple of Friday mornings ago, getting together to float through one of the most beautiful places on the planet, through Labyrinth Canyon from Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom on the Green River. Nick I had met once, but I had never met Charlie or Nate.

So off we went, Charlie in the front of my canoe and Nick and Nate in their kayaks. We didn't have far to go, maybe 45 miles, with plenty of time to do it in.

I00006cwLZOSlOCc.jpg

The weather was perfect, low 70's upper 60's. No one around.

I0000D7.R5WO3VzI.jpg

I0000_DE6J3per.w.jpg

IMG_2798 (1).jpg

Moon light shots from our first camp:

IMG_2806 (2).jpg

IMG_2817 (1).jpg

Day hike the next day, to get a better look:

I00002Itzi1K17Nk.jpg

IMG_2831 (1).jpg

I0000qs4PV.v8FVc.jpg

I0000gQ1t_a0YP3s.jpg

I0000HoBubmKeWqQ.jpg

I0000V2.s9vuPiiY.jpg

From our second camp spot, Register Rock is at the mouth of the side canyon, this side:

I0000J6hgGH_ZL2Q.jpg

I00004s82IR0JUpk.jpg

IMG_2908 (1).jpg

IMG_2916 (1).jpg

Charlie's camp spot:

I00009OU3Ci47CkQ.jpg

IMG_2926 (2).jpg

I0000v9f_zHO.efc.jpg

Register Rock:

I0000kCNSC_F9hQ0.jpg

I0000yl7PuODNsPI.jpg

IMG_2945 (1).jpg

Looking back towards our camp:

IMG_2944 - Version 2.jpg

IMG_2956 (1).jpg

I0000uJhYGPgPr3Y.jpg

IMG_2995 - Version 2 (1).jpg

I0000uLY0LVtYkNU.jpg

I00000bnvP9lRGbM.jpg

From our last camp spot:

I0000EzwXc60p5ik.jpg

Approaching Mineral Bottom:

IMG_3015 (1).jpg

It was a great trip. Plenty of time floating and paddling on glassy waters, incredible scenery, plenty of beer and good company.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2941 (1).jpg
    IMG_2941 (1).jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Love this stretch of river. Wish I could have been along for the float.

Oh man that was an awesome trip and you captured it beautifully, Greg! Your photos really bring me back. I can't believe that was 4 days of floating, it felt like it just went by so fast. Can't wait to go back.

Somebody recently asked me if I want to do a float trip. Where did you put in and where did you pull out?
Is there a time of year that is better for this stretch? Thanks. While I love the red rocks,
there is a majestic quality that the black white brings out. I love 'em, totally awesome!

Thanks for the comments.
DrNed, we put in at Ruby Ranch and took out at Mineral Bottom.
Cheemicowbra?
Never saw him (or her).

How early in the year is the water warm enough to swim in? Thanks

I swam in it in April and it was plenty cold. The Green develops ice in the winter and carries a lot of snowmelt.

@ashergrey - that's what I was afraid of. Kids have spring break in mid April and we discussed doing
this trip then. Thanks for your advice!

It's totally worth doing in April, in my opinion. Much later in the season and the heat becomes an issue.

That coyote experience was amazing. There were dozens of geese in the water and I totally thought he was just swimming out to maybe try to get one. He ended up swimming right through the middle of them and all the way across the river and out the other side. He was so close that I could have easily tossed in some paddle strokes and t-boned the little guy. Totally amazing experience and nice shot of it, Nate.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jammer Floating the Yampa through Dinosaur On The Water 5
DrNed Floating Through Dinosaur National Monument Trip Planning 9
Ugly Floating Island- Utah Trip Planning 8
Outdoors24 Floating Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 7
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
regehr floating East Canyon Creek in a packraft? Trip Planning 3
DrNed Floating The North Platte June 2017 On The Water 5
Nick Floating Glen Canyon On The Water 3
DrNed Floating Smith River in Montana Trip Planning 55
Nick Floating lower Cataract into Glen Canyon Trip Planning 2
steve Invite Floating the Provo river (Provo Canyon) this Tuesday Meet Up (Members Only) 12
Nick Floating Hite to Lake Powell Trip Planning 2
steve Invite Urban Adventure - floating the Jordan River this Sat, 3.21.15 Meet Up (Members Only) 7
steve Floating the Provo River On The Water 0
DrNed Favorite Places To Explore While Floating Labyrinth Trip Planning 38
steve Floating the San Rafael General Discussion 9
mattvogt7 Floating into the Maze Backpacking 10
AustinCronnelly Floating the Smith River, Montana On The Water 13
Mike K Floating the Dirty Devil Trip Planning 12
Nick Time to start floating! Gear 6
Nick Floating the South Fork Snake River On The Water 19
scatman Grebe Lake - September 4th through the 6th, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 20
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
T America's Wildest Through-hike General Discussion 0
Outdoor_Fool Yellowstone - Through the Heart of the Park Backpacking 12
Outdoor_Fool Week-long Ramble Through Southern Yellowstone Backpacking 22
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
fossana CA statewide National Forest closure through 17 Sep General Discussion 1
norwegianxplorer Greater Yellowstone part 2, from the Headwaters of Yellowstone River, through the Thorofare, Overlook Mountain, Rampart Creek Backpacking 9
fossana BLM looking for input on accelerating grazing permits (comment through 6 Mar) General Discussion 2
WasatchWill Through the Notch and Back Backpacking 11
Artemus Road Proposed to be Bulldozed through Red Cliffs Recreation Area General Discussion 7
LarryBoy A Route In Between: Mexico to Canada Through the Heart of the West Backpacking 50
P Yellowstone — Blacktail Ponds to Roosevelt, through Hellroaring Meet Up (Members Only) 5
Jon Carbaugh A Leisurely Stroll Through Coyote Gulch Backpacking 11
C Route 9 Through Zion closed indefinitely. General Discussion 25
WasatchWill Beehive Traverse - Through the Heart of Capitol Reef's Waterpocket Fold Backpacking 39
Rockskipper Campers escape by driving through wildfire in Glacier NP General Discussion 0
McKee80 Breezing through Utah Trip Planning 3
Rockskipper Canada Parks Passes on sale through the end of the year - 20% off General Discussion 0
Morgan_Scott Ride Shares for Through Hikes Hiking & Camping 1
frahminator Journey Through The Maze - April 2017 (Day 1 of 5) Backpacking 4
Perry Quick Road Trip Through Kanab - Any Must-see Locations? General Discussion 5
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
Joey An 8 Day off trail backpack through the Crest of Grand Teton National Park Backpacking 22
Mike Jones High Sierra Trail to Mt Whitney through hike Backpacking 11
SwimsWithTrout Chasing Petroglyphs through the Mist Hiking & Camping 6
Udink Green River through Labyrinth and Stillwater Canyons On The Water 14
Howells Outdoors Backpacking through Paria Canyon Backpacking 6