Escalante, Part 4: Dance Halls and Dinosaurs

piper01

Oct 15, 2016

part 1 here
part 2 here
part 3 here
For the last day of my trip, I took it easy and did a few hours of poking around before driving back to SLC for my crack o' dawn flight home. I had just planned on visiting Dance Hall Rock, but one of my friends with whom I had met up for the night suggested I also stop by the dinosaur trackway off of Left Hand Collet Rd.

The open road ahead of me, heading back to Hole in the Road.
IMG_8493_40MiRidgeRd.JPG

The "Dance Hall" itself wasn't too exciting, but I found lots of interesting details in the nearby rocks, like these small fault blocks.
IMG_8499.JPG

Three-dimensional filled fractures.
IMG_8507.JPG

Geologic contact.
IMG_8517.JPG

IMG_8518.JPG

Lots of vegetation-filled potholes. IMG_8520.JPG

Cross-bedded sandstone.
IMG_8527.JPG

More sandstone. IMG_8530.JPG
IMG_8533.JPG
IMG_8534.JPG

Lots of life in the desert, you just have to know where to look.
IMG_8547.JPG

So many places out there to explore. IMG_8550.JPG

Lonesome tree. IMG_8551.JPG

Twenty Mile Wash dinosaur track site. With the many spectacular moments of my trip, this part turned out to be one of my favorites. I sat down right next to a 155 million year old dinosaur footprint and ate Oreos (aka, my lunch). Oreos and dinosaurs, life doesn't get much better than that.
IMG_8554.JPG

Dinosaur tracks...somewhere up there.
IMG_8555.JPG

After looking around for 10-15 min, I finally found my first footprints. Once my eye was attuned, suddenly I saw many other tracks I had initially walked past without realizing what they were. IMG_8580.JPG

One of the best footprints.
IMG_8570.JPG

Walk this way!
IMG_8618.JPG

And my favorite tracks: see that vertical line down the middle, between the footprints? The dinosaur was dragging its tail!!!
IMG_8641.JPG

A little bit of fall color to cap off my trip. IMG_8648.JPG

'Til next time, Escalante. As always, it's been great.

That's a great little track site. Took us a while to find them when I took my family down there.

I used to camp right below those tracks when I first started exploring down Hole-in-the-Rock. We had no idea they were up there for quite some time!

Back