COVID-19 Affecting Your Plans?

People intentionally coughing on other people are asking for trouble. I have read several articles about people doing that being arrested. Of course they also risk coughing on the wrong person and receiving a beating.

Fortunately I just get looked at like a weirdo when I go to the local grocery store wearing a mask. I definitely live in an area where the majority of people still think it is all an overblown hoax.
I just went out to run some errands around the Cottonwood Heights area during lunch, and I was surprised by how many people had masks and gloves. Probably like 1/3 of the people I saw had masks. And employees at the stores I went to had masks and gloves. Interesting it can be so different in different areas.

Lots of people now use a mask when grocery shopping in our community (e.g. 9 out of 10 during a Sam's club visit yesterday, our neighbors report the same in the local grocery store). Almost everyone started using a mask last week, now people stare at the ones, who don't use it. :)

It's a mixed bag of news & emotions from NYS today. Big relief as new daily hospitalizations have dropped way down in the last few days. But also sadness as the number of daily deaths spiked to 779 yesterday. Cuomo extended closings till end of April (Washington state I believe is also on a similar schedule). This is not the time to become complacent, when social distancing is working he said. We are still in the midst of it all he said. (Screenshots from Cuomo briefings.)

I see what the title says today- in the past the title for this chart was "Total new hospitalized"
New-hospitalizations-Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 1.57.43 PM.png

Death-Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 2.01.40 PM.png

Yesterday Cuomo said an antibody test has been approved by NYS department of Health. If approved by FDA, then they want to use that as a way to re-start. But it will be a plan with a regional approach (NY-NJ-CT). The goal is to scale-up rapid antibody testing, see screenshots attached.

re-start-life-Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 3.06.05 PM.png

repaid-testing-Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 3.12.23 PM.png

Post some up-dates on how your state is anticipating to re-start or thinking about strategies to move forward.

Looks like as of Friday UT is going to be interviewing folks coming into the state about their travel history, travel plans and COVID risk.

The governor made the announcement during the state’s daily COVID-19 press conference.

Anyone older than 18 years old traveling to Utah as their final destination from either through the Salt Lake City International Airport or coming in through Utah’s freeways will have to complete a travel declaration starting Friday....

The declaration, he explained, will include questions about if they have been tested, had symptoms and where they have recently traveled. Utah Department of Transportation executive director Carlos Braceras said the agency has determined nine different entry point locations on freeways, such as I-15 in Arizona and Idaho.

Capitol Reef is now officially closed, effective immediately.

View attachment 87903
Many months ago, my husband and I made reservations for today to fly to SLC, drive to Torrey, and start backpacking on Friday the Beehive Traverse in Capitol Reef that I learned about last year from @WasatchWill. We're sad not to be doing this, but we're doing everything we can to stay safe and healthy so we can try again next year!

Many months ago, my husband and I made reservations for today to fly to SLC, drive to Torrey, and start backpacking on Friday the Beehive Traverse in Capitol Reef that I learned about last year from @WasatchWill. We're sad not to be doing this, but we're doing everything we can to stay safe and healthy so we can try again next year!

I was going to guide a friend on that route early this May, but now it's looking like we'll have to start looking at a date for this fall, if not postpone for a whole year as well. Worth it though to minimize risk to people like my in-laws and their neighbors like @JulieKT there in Torrey.

I was going to guide a friend on that route early this May, but now it's looking like we'll have to start looking at a date for this fall, if not postpone for a whole year as well. Worth it though to minimize risk to people like my in-laws and their neighbors like @JulieKT there in Torrey.
Yes, waiting until later is certainly the right thing for all of us, and I hope your in-laws and others in Torrey stay safe.

Hope you don't mind, but I've been watching your Beehive Traverse video (about 15 minutes per day) as a substitute for the real thing! Just finished watching you guys get through the butt crack. :)

DBNF is still open as is BSF, I'll bet you can find somewhere to hike in one of those "areas" :)
Big South Fork is now closed 'til further notice. Just checked, since I might actually take both my off nights next week.
Sucks, 'cause I didn't make it to Lick Creek Falls or do the Honey Creek loop last time.
Eyeing some wilderness areas, now. Maybe Big Frog Wilderness, since it's so isolated, and would be new to me. Doesn't look that appealing, but probably won't see another person, either...

Not hiking, but rockhounding quite a bit. Not going to any "closed" counties either. I've bumped into 1 other person out there and we followed the distance rule: if we could throw a rock and hit someone, we were too close.

Big South Fork is now closed 'til further notice. Just checked, since I might actually take both my off nights next week.
Sucks, 'cause I didn't make it to Lick Creek Falls or do the Honey Creek loop last time.
Eyeing some wilderness areas, now. Maybe Big Frog Wilderness, since it's so isolated, and would be new to me. Doesn't look that appealing, but probably won't see another person, either...

I've heard good things about Big Frog but never been there. Have you ever been to Citico or Joyce Kilmer? Other than Stratton Bald the area is pretty empty.

I haven't hiked any of that area, being more of a destination hiker who generally requires specific places to go and things to see to get motivated.
I've got the NatGeo Cherokee NF map, and a couple of books, "Hiking Trails of the Cohutta & Big Frog Wildernesses" and "Hiking Trails of the Joyce-Kilmer-Slickrock & Citico Creek Wildernesses" by Tim Homan, but am just now starting to explore them.
So far, the Jacks River Trail, with 42 fords, is something I definitely want to do, but that's the only thing I've heard of around there that's really jumped out at me.
^^ That sounds really cool, but maybe not in spring, right behind major storms(I want to walk across those fords, not swim!).

...the area is pretty empty.
Now THAT does appeal to me:)

Hi Everyone! Now I know that I haven't been around as of late. As of late I have had no available access to the Internet with the local library closed and the computer turned off where have been staying. But have been working and then getting out biking, hiking, and birding at every opportunity. Here in Jackson Hole it is actually quite great with now springtime but no tourists. Am still working plus where am working, they are currently paying me $2 more per hour during this mess. Am healthy and well and it is all going Great! Today can use a friend's computer to access the Internet today. Today is a nice spring day here being sunny and nice, the snow melting, spring's birds are returning, and the animals are out and about like usual. Have to get out and see the sun which one still can here in Jackson Hole.

Life is Great! Remember all that back wilderness is still there and right now with us Human Two Leggeds locked up mostly I guess, life in the wilderness goes on everyday basis like it always has. Wishing Everyone the Best!

So is Grand County the only one remaining? Garfield lifted its limited restrictions not too long ago as well.

Did Kane lift theirs yet?

Looks like it. From April 22:
Kane County’s temporary ordinance imposing restrictions on recreation on public lands has expired. The County Commission has decided not to extend or modify it at this time. Individuals are strongly encouraged to maintain social distancing guidelines and to adhere to standard safety precautions to prevent injuries while recreating on public lands."

San Juan Co. loosened up their restrictions, but are asking out-of-state visitors to self-quarantine for 14 days. From a public health standpoint, I'm not sure why they didn't leave their restrictions in place. I've been tracking population adjusted cases over time, and things are not looking so optimistic (4th line from the top) especially given healthcare infrastructure.

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 7.59.17 AM.png