COVID-19 Affecting Your Plans?

I was getting ready to go to Canada. The feds messed up my passport renewal, or I'd be gone, but now it's here and I'm ready, except reading the Canuck papers there's talk of maybe having to close the border. The question is, which side would I prefer to be on??? I'd be in my Tiger, so I'd be camping and not in any urban centers, but frankly, I'm considering maybe trying to just go camp in the desert/mountains in Utah and Montana for a couple of years with a good supply of whisky - and I don't even drink. :)

Still thinking of driving down from Alberta to spend 2 weeks camping and day hiking in SE Utah. Our proposed time frame is last half of April-first half of May, and being pretty much retired now, we can be flexible and head south with a couple days notice. With the way things have been evolving, we'll just wait and see...

No intention to change my current plans and will not unless I'm told I have to. Of course they happen in the fall and a lot can change between now and then. . . but I sent my backcountry request into Yellowstone and bought my plane ticket to Bozeman last week.

I of course am no expert but my medical background wants me to think this will be a big to do about nothing. Covid-19 probably has a lot of similarities to the common cold. . . from what I can gather the major differences are a longer incubation period, potentially more contagious, and seemingly more devastating to elderly or compromised immune systems. I think many more people have already been exposed to the virus and have recovered without even knowing it was Covid-19 vs. something else. The media seems to sensationalize newfound cases and resulting deaths (those deaths and sickness are not meaningless in anyway and I feel for the family/loved ones dealing with them) but without widespread testing how can we know how many cases are really out there? They emphasize a high mortality rate compared to other viruses. . . but if we truly knew how many mild or subtle cases exist the mortality rate would certainly drop.

This is of course just an opinion. I think the effects the panic is having on the economy will be longer lasting than the virus.

For some perspective, about 10 years ago this thing called the Swine Flu (H1N1) emerged. (I know, the coronavirus is not the flu). In the US around 60 million people were infected, 275 thousand were hospitalized, and an estimated 12,500 deaths occurred. There were 1000 deaths before the president declared a national emergency back then. . . one was declared over corona this year with (less than?) 100 deaths. I really don't remember much being shut down in day to day life. . . but I do seem to remember people buying a lot of toilet paper.

Why are people buying all the toilet paper for a respiratory virus anyway. . . I would think the Puffs with lotion would be the first thing to go. :)

One more thought -- it has been reported that sales of Corona beer (my beer of choice) has dropped because people associate it with the virus. That alone should give one an idea of the rationality of thought that is taking place. Use common sense, good judgment, and good hygiene -- wishing the best of health to everyone.

I'm in higher education... final exams must be online, next quarter starts online until perhaps April 27th. Kiddos have school tomorrow then off until April 24th. 42 days of well... I dunno.
Never taught online, my wife has a contract teacher gig for another department at my school and she's never taught online before, wait never even taught before. So spring break (next week for us) is shot.

One thought that I have is- if the current situation of increasing panic subsides to a more reasonable approach in the coming weeks- will we see a release of pent up demand from those who have cancelled trips involving more travel (air, especially), where they decide to take that holiday, but stay more or less local instead? Might that end up bringing even more to the Utah NP's and other popular areas?
With that in mind- when do most schools in Utah (or Colo. for that matter) have their spring break? I know that they will vary- but around here- the bulk are in late March-Mid April.

Don't want to single people out here, but for all of those who claim that their immune system is tough and therefore they don't need to adjust their behavior: I largely believe you. And it doesnt matter, because you can still be a carrier even if you're asymptomatic. So don't do it for you, do it for the people around you who could get very seriously ill because they caught it from you. Rant over!

The symptoms for COVID-19 are more likely to be different from the common cold than similar.

View attachment 87157

In addition, The Danish Health department emphasizes 3 typical health developments for their positive tested cases:
MILD / MODERATE / SEVERE.

Mild cases (most people) : It last 4-6 days, dry cough, upper airways, many have no or low fever and suddenly recover quick.

Moderate cases (primarily elderly or chronicle ill ) : after 4-7 days, suddenly also trouble breathing, increasing fever, lower airways effected, develop pneumonia. Need hospitalization, but not intensive care.

Severe cases (primarily elderly or chronicle ill ) like moderate, but 2-4 days later the pneumonia worsen and they end up in intensive care.

Resource, For Scandinavian BCP members:

If you were planning on skiing here in Colorado, unless you do cross-country, they just closed all of the ski areas (governor's orders). The Western Slope, where I'm at, is getting hit pretty fast. Yeah, and please don't infect others, even if you don't think it's a big deal, especially if you love your grammy and gramps. And @gnwatts you're in the thick of it right now, which I know you know, so stay well! (I'm currently in New Castle, so it'll be here soon.)

Last edited:
The symptoms for COVID-19 are more likely to be different from the common cold than similar.

For the record, I'm not saying this corona virus is the common cold or exactly like it. Even looking at your chart you can have numerous signs/symptoms and still not know whether you have the cold, flu, coronavirus, etc. Not all sicknesses follow a textbook and present the same in all types of people. There are definitely categories of individuals that appear to be more vulnerable than others with this new strain.

I have no problem with anyone taking measures to protect the health of themselves, their loved ones, and others that surround them. I think the lack of information at this time specific to Covid-19 enhances the nervousness of everyone. I could very well be wrong in my thinking of how things will play out. . . but I certainly hope not. Its just an opinion -- hopefully you don't fault me for that. ;)

I just want to add that even without being sick, a lot of people are being affected. Our local swap (Roaring Fork Swap) has people on it looking for any kind of work as our whole valley is shutting down. One woman who said she was a travel agent said she had just lost her whole year's worth of bookings and was looking for babysitting. Harsh. Here's an example (can't link as it's a FB members only page):

Due to the mountain closures my seasonal ski tuning job is coming to a quick end. To make up for the lost hours and financial uncertainty of the next few weeks I am offering my handyman services at a major discount. Please DM me, call or text if you have any projects or tasks. I also have many friends available and willing to work if additional hands are needed. Thanks and stay well my friends!

Don't want to single people out here, but for all of those who claim that their immune system is tough and therefore they don't need to adjust their behavior: I largely believe you. And it doesnt matter, because you can still be a carrier even if you're asymptomatic. So don't do it for you, do it for the people around you who could get very seriously ill because they caught it from you. Rant over!
I'm one of those people. I also think it stands to reason that we are all going to be exposed to this at some point.

I'm one of those people. I also think it stands to reason that we are all going to be exposed to this at some point.

For the most part, yes. Still super important to slow the spread to not overwhelm the health system for those that need it.

For the most part, yes. Still super important to slow the spread to not overwhelm the health system for those

This x10000. The rate it spreads is everything. Some percentage will need hospitalization and there is a finite number of ventilators and ICU beds. I have family up in WA and they went from thinking it was overblown to a pretty scary situation in about 6 days.

Heath departments and governments should be broadcasting the shit out of that chart. Easy to understand, non-alarmist way to show how important it is to do our best to avoid full-on exponential spread.

For the record, I'm not saying this corona virus is the common cold or exactly like it. Even looking at your chart you can have numerous signs/symptoms and still not know whether you have the cold, flu, coronavirus, etc. Not all sicknesses follow a textbook and present the same in all types of people. There are definitely categories of individuals that appear to be more vulnerable than others with this new strain.

I have no problem with anyone taking measures to protect the health of themselves, their loved ones, and others that surround them. I think the lack of information at this time specific to Covid-19 enhances the nervousness of everyone. I could very well be wrong in my thinking of how things will play out. . . but I certainly hope not. Its just an opinion -- hopefully you don't fault me for that. ;)
For the most part, your opinion is worthless and so is mine. You can believe whatever you want, as can I, but at the end of the day neither of us knows what we're talking about. There are people who do know what they're talking about, and they're univocal in their advocacy for limiting interactions, keeping one's distance, and slowing this thing down.

And to the extent that any of us acts contrary to the guidance given, I do fault them. Believe whatever you want, but follow the rules set forth by those who actually know what they're talking about.

Not saying that you personally aren't following the rules, but just want to nip all this "well, that's just like... your opinion, man" nonsense in the bud.

When our school's president decided to close us down he did so because (a) we are in Washington state and have a huge number of cases in the state, albeit most are on the other side of the Cascades, and (b) to flatten the curve especially since we have a lot of students who come from all over the west coast and to some degree the country/continent (some are from Canada) and they are going to be quite mobile during spring break to go home/other places.
I'm pretty sure our state governor is also trying to flatten the curve as well when school for the kiddos was cancelled for the next 6 weeks (the second of which is spring break). What is scary from our end is more of what are families with kids going to do for 5 of those 6 weeks when there is no one to watch their kids while they work? Some can make it work, but the majority can't, so there will be kids either going to work with their parents (if their parents even have work) or staying home alone all day, the latter of which is way more likely. Those of us who are old enough, know about latchkey kids and how that all worked out.
I almost wish it was a 3 week closure (for grade school and high schools) with a strong note of it could be another 3 weeks beyond that. I get why higher ed is straight to 6 weeks and I'm as fine with that as I'm going to be able to be (hate the thought of online labs and exams).

Within the (former) context of the thread, statements regarding strong immune systems and good health were related to cancelling plans for backcountry activities. Or at least that was my assumption, given the name of the site. And I'll still stand by that.

But for sure the painfully obvious recommendation of following CDC guidelines while not hanging out in the desert should be a priority for everyone.

Within the (former) context of the thread, statements regarding strong immune systems and good health were related to cancelling plans for backcountry activities. Or at least that was my assumption, given the name of the site. And I'll still stand by that.

But for sure the painfully obvious recommendation of following CDC guidelines while not hanging out in the desert should be a priority for everyone.

I mean, going backpacking is probably the single most effective way to comply with said guidelines. Heck, that's what I'm doing too.

I mean, going backpacking is probably the single most effective way to comply with said guidelines. Heck, that's what I'm doing too.

I was planning on heading south to camp and hike next weekend and I'm actually getting a little concerned that it will be spring break level crowds with all the schools closed. Backpacking is a whole different story though.