Cinemascapes

It's been a long time now since I got to spend some time in New Zealand. This guy's VLOG video, as much as anything else I've ever seen has me longing to get back down there and get into the backcountry there.

Note: He doesn't say what lake he camps by at the end, but I can tell it is Lake MaKenzie and while he edits his video to imply his tent pad was right by the lake, the tent grounds are a good distance off the lake further back from a hut stationed there by the lake. Still, the video shows off some of New Zealand's most spectacular scenery.

I haven't seen it. Seeing the trailer, I have mixed emotions about it. More advertising? Somewhat exaggerated drama? I guess I have to process some...
Good points Art.
Somewhat exaggerated drama?
For sure.

The big question is, as you point out, does it bring more people to “our” mountains? If so, maybe not a good thing.

I want to watch it... just don’t want anyone else to [emoji2960]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've got 2.5 hours of footage on YouTube if you're interested, broken down by days.
Looks like they did it in 10 days.

As someone who pays attention to such things, I was kinda bugged by his pronunciation.
He referred to it as the "highlun" trail, but that's just my own personal issue.

It's worth it, if for nothing else, getting a little mountain fix.

So I finished watching all ten episodes of YouTuber Following Redbeard’s videos. I think this is not the “feature-length movie” footage but rather just Following Redbeard’s account as a rank and file member of the group. Pretty standard fare but I particularly enjoyed following along revisiting where I had gone on my trips. Always fun hearing others’ expressions of excitement and awe as they experience the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang I’d like to see it but sure have mixed emotions about it

Same...I was a bit less excited about it when this film was first announced, but after seeing the second trailer and seeing that it appears to be more about the personal background stories of the 5 guys on the hike whereby the trail/hike just serves as perhaps a parallel metaphor of something to connect with their personal life journeys....it may be less about promoting the Highline as a "must do" trail for everyone out there that sees it. I think the JMT and a number of others trails will still get much more attention than our beloved Highline given the logistics involved with the Highline and the risks that come with the sustained higher altitudes.

But it is true that this film could put it on the radar of a significant larger amount of people that otherwise wouldn't ever consider it and I do still have some concern that the solitude that could be easily obtained in a number of those basins along the Highline my be a little harder to come by in the future. I see this film going the same route that Mile-Mile and a Half did and end up on Netflix and/or Amazon soon. I don't remember wanting to hike the JMT any more than I already did after seeing that film, but was more impressed with just the human connections made with the trail which really could have been any trail of comparable distance and stature out there. I'm equally interested in see the human elements expressed in Highline along with how they incorporate the bits on its history, geology, locals, etc.

Keep in mind that someone also created a feature film on the Hayduke Trail available on Amazon now. Be interesting to see if that film inspires a significant number of more people setting out to attempt it.

Same...I was a bit less excited about it when this film was first announced, but after seeing the second trailer and seeing that it appears to be more about the personal background stories of the 5 guys on the hike whereby the trail/hike just serves as perhaps a parallel metaphor of something to connect with their personal life journeys....it may be less about promoting the Highline as a "must do" trail for everyone out there that sees it. I think the JMT and a number of others trails will still get much more attention than our beloved Highline given the logistics involved with the Highline and the risks that come with the sustained higher altitudes.

But it is true that this film could put it on the radar of a significant larger amount of people that otherwise wouldn't ever consider it and I do still have some concern that the solitude that could be easily obtained in a number of those basins along the Highline my be a little harder to come by in the future. I see this film going the same route that Mile-Mile and a Half did and end up on Netflix and/or Amazon soon. I don't remember wanting to hike the JMT any more than I already did after seeing that film, but was more impressed with just the human connections made with the trail which really could have been any trail of comparable distance and stature out there. I'm equally interested in see the human elements expressed in Highline along with how they incorporate the bits on its history, geology, locals, etc.

Keep in mind that someone also created a feature film on the Hayduke Trail available on Amazon now. Be interesting to see if that film inspires a significant number of more people setting out to attempt it.
Got my fingers crossed

Back