Album Cameras with Wings

Artemus

I walk
This thread is for all aerial cameras - quadcopters, helicopters, fixed wings, hot air balloon, magic pixie dust - I don't care. Just post an aerial one you or a friend took and that you want to share. Full disclosure - my camera has wings and is a Phantom Vision 2. I know how to fly but I am just learning how to photograph while I fly. No RAW yet, no full gimbal, no lens correction. Just great fun. - Cheers.

redPhantom.jpg

Last edited:
500'. I have to watch out and not go high right overhead. The transmitter antenna is directional and has to be reoriented in situ. I forgot once and it lost signal. Luckily GTH (go to home) mode works great with automatic, stabilized navigation back to my takeoff spot.

Info: 400 feet AGL is max allowed by the FAA, as per their site.
Illegal to fly one in Zion National Park

The creator dodges multiple questions re: permits in the comments section.

Just found this one as well:

For this one the creator admits when asked that he did NOT have permission. Several comments expressed negative feelings toward said issue when he tried to defend his actions.

I have to admit -- the shots are amazing and are really changing the way the landscape can be seen. As copters get more and more accessible/popular, I just hope a solution can be found to be respectful of other visitors and wildlife. I think I'd start throwing rocks at any such device that whizzed by me in the Narrows or on Angel's Landing! :)

There are many questions that need to be answered. Many concerns that need to be met. Many people will fly them anywhere without reqard, just for the pictures. I suspect they will be illegal in most National Parks eventually, but the perps would have to be caught. The will be a dilemma in Wilderness areas, the catch is no mechanical things..... have to land them, so it's illegal. Kinda like guns in the National Parks, you can have them but its illegal to discharge one.

I place the invention of these on par with the ATV. The are a good tool, when used correctly but the use WILL be abused just like the ATV.

Last edited:
I place the invention of these on par with the ATV. The are a good tool, when used correctly but the use WILL be abused just like the ATV.
Well said, Bob. They already have been abused. It hurts to see people pushing wildlife around with them.