Biting the Bullet on a GPS

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6. So that would limit me to Gaia in this discussion. Any idea how it performs on an android? Their website often mentions it can run on an Android, but most of the time they refer to using an iPhone so that has me a little worried that it won't perform as well.

What about battery life? I'd imagine this eats it up pretty quick.

I had no idea that GPS coordination can still work without reception. I often keep my phone on airplane mode while hiking so that I don't get bothered with texts or emails. So I didn't think my phone was even an option. This is pretty cool!

I have Gaia on both android and iOS. They make a great app on both platforms. There are all sorts of ways you can use Gaia to reduce battery consumption. I typically get about three or four days out of my iPhone 6s and that's with using it for music (headphones), pictures, flashlight, but I'm pretty strict with the settings and usage. I carry a 10,000mah Anker powerpack that can charge my phone several times so battery life is never an issue.

Modern phones use the same exact GPS system and use the same satellites that a handheld unit like a Garmin use. They do not need cell reception to work. You do need to pre-download maps to be used offline but that's no different than any other device. The UI on an app like Gaia is so vastly superior to anything that Garmin uses it's so easy my 3 and 4 year olds use it every time we go hiking so they can see how close we are to lakes, streams, our destination, etc.

Last edited:
I am a die hard compass user and always will be but I've been using GPS starting in 1993 for aerial mapping work and got a hiking unit, a Garmin Etrex Legend C in 2004 or around that time, still have it and girlfriend runs it now. They are very useful tools but not without occasional flaws...(batteries, satellite lock). Get a good one but don't throw out your compass! LOL
I use a combo of custom topo maps from Caltopo (of course) with GPS, and good compass with declination. Most of the time I load the maps on my phone to save ink. The hassle with that is that you can't box your compass accurately. I have found that a GPS compass does not work well enough. I have gotten lost using it.

You still need to know how
do it the old way, especially in steep walled canyons because you will lose signal or get wildly inaccurate readings.

My unit sent me all over the place at Comb Ridge.

Garmin is the standard. Delorme was just bought by them. This due to the fact that gpx is the standard executable file type for waypoints. Bottom line is what kind of input can you live with. Touch screen gives you a bigger screen that gets dirty. Key and arrow input is reliable and gives you a small screen.

As far as accuracy is concerned, more is better but it matters more if you are geocaching or really need to get to a very specific place. Cheaper units are fine for general navigation most of the time. The more sensitive your unit is, the less signal you lose. Areas where you don't have a clear view to the sky make it less accurate.

The maps on the GPS are different then a regular topo map for a reason. Too much detail obfuscates the features you really need. Tight contour intervals are very hard read on a small screen. This is where your separate topo map comes in. Use it for fine detail.

Now which unit? The GPSmap 64st has an accuracy down to 4 feet when the full satellite constellation is available. I am pretty sure the other high end units are the same.

The absolute rule to all this is know where you are in relation to your starting point with the old tools. The rest is secondary.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm still using the tiny but excellent Garmin Geko 101....I print my own 7 1/2 minute USGS topos using AllTopoPro software from iGage...I also carry a Suunto compass...I also print the 15 minute USGS topos as I always liked them back when they were still available...Although I also print the 1:100,000 USGS topos, I only use those in a general way and not for hiking...

I just fixed my horribly constructed post. Can't see well enough on a phone.

Cool, thanks for the information. Can't believe I didn't know GPS works in airplane mode! :moses:

I've got a nexus 5x, which has a huge screen and eats up battery like crazy. I will take a look at larger power supplies.

I have a Nexus 5x also, from what I can tell, the GPS doesn't use that much battery, it is the screen. If I am repeatedly checking position, then my battery will last a ~2 full days of hiking. If I am somewhere familiar and don't check position frequently, then I can get 3-4 full days of hiking on one charge. That is also with using the camera to take photos in either case.