Beartooth loop

I'm guessing the total was someplace around 30 miles with about 12 of that on-trail. Cairn Lake is about 12 to 13 miles in from the Cooke City side and maybe a mile or so farther from East Rosebud trail head. It could be a very long day hike but in my opinion, the longer I can stay in that area, the better.

Somewhat amazing, but we didn't run across any bear sign the entire trip which was ok with us. The only big critters observed were goats although there were plenty of elk tracks and a few moose tracks, the latter in the Broadwater River area. When you have canines along, it doesn't in any way augment wildlife observation.

I've backpacked in from East Rosebud and also from the plateau NE above Cooke City. The reason I asked the mileage is that I don't often have unplanned time for a 4 or 5 day trip and the drive from SLC takes a full day on either end as well. I am putting Cairn on the list.

I saw little bear sign as well. In fact little animal sign except moose. Even when soloing. The amazing and enlightening thing to me is that you can drive through the most wildlife packed environment in the US (the Lamar Valley of Jellystone) out the NE entrance 10 miles and the animals go from packed shoulder-to-shoulder to non-existent basically. Speaks volumes about the carnage on the park border. I was soloing and camped 6 miles in and was disturbed by high powered rifle shots even farther into the Beartooth wilderness and there was no big game hunting season in place.

When you have canines along, it doesn't in any way augment wildlife observation.

Right that. Except when said caninies start barking down in the willows and piss of the moose and then turn tail running back to you bringing the moose with them. That is another story for the attack/encounter thread..... ;)

Last edited:
The amazing and enlightening thing to me is that you can drive through the most wildlife packed environment in the US (the Lamar Valley of Jellystone) out the NE entrance 10 miles and the animals go from packed shoulder-to-shoulder to non-existent basically. Speaks volumes about the carnage on the park border. I was soloing and camped 6 miles in and was disturbed by high powered rifle shots even farther into the Beartooth wilderness and there was no big game hunting season in place.

There is more at work at the NE entrance than just carnage. Actually, I haven't even heard of a significant bison migration "problem" in the Cooke City/Silvergate area. The biggest factor there is a rather drastic change in habitat from the Lamar Valley, especially with respect to bison. The bison population thins to close non-existent before you ever get out of the park. Is that true at the north or northwest entrances? Certainly not and there is most definitely carnage at those places. Unfortunately, carnage without any good solutions.

Elk populations do appear to be down but that is pretty universal in and adjacent to the park and wolves are a factor in that. From the habitat standpoint, that isn't all bad news.

And while I also find firearm reports really intrusive in the backcounty when "out-of-season", it's a completely legal activity. In my opinion, that sort of thing is really distasteful and shows a lot of disdain for other users . Do I carry a firearm in the backcountry? Always. Before pepper spray, that was the only real means to at least dispute who was at the top of the food chain. But I have only fired one round to date while backpacking-over 50 something years. In my opinion, firearm practice is something best done at a range.

Right that. Except when said caninies charge barking down into the willows and piss of the moose and then turn tail running back to you bringing the moose with them. That is another story for the attack/encounter thread..... ;)
Actually, our canines have had a number of moose encounters while we have been hiking on our own place. Each and every time, they pulled up about 10 yards in front of us and held until called back. Their system has yet to experience a full charge so the jury is still out on what sort of havoc would ensue with that.

Actually, our canines have had a number of moose encounters while we have been hiking on our own place. Each and every time, they pulled up about 10 yards in front of us and held until called back. Their system has yet to experience a full charge so the jury is still out on what sort of havoc would ensue with that.
I've had it happen that way a couple of times because we didn't see the moose until the dogs riled it up. Our dogs are very much under our control and we can stop them. But in tall willows you can't always see what is going on.

amazing trip report.

More ancient photography. Someday I hope to run this, cleaned up better, through a real scanner. Taken 1981 from the summit of Summit Mountain. Dewey Lake in foreground, Medicine Lake above, Oly at middle far left, some of Cairn Lake is visible above Medicine and you can even see a little of lower Skytop Lake at the upper far left. Flat-topped Granite Peak right of center with Tempest Mountain to right, the hump of Cairn Mountain to left of Granite. To the left of Cairn, a little of Mystic Mountain in the background with Mount Villard and the Spires to left. Glacier Peak at far left. All 12,000' plus.

15650313188_c2d84c892a_b.jpg