Beartooth loop

John Goering

My wife and I did a loop in the Tooth's last summer starting and ending at the Chief Joseph trail head just east of Cooke City. We utilized the Russell Creek trail, camping the first night between Ouzel and Bald Knob Lakes.
Day 1
Broadwater River 100 yards from the trail head.

Kersey Lake with Sheep Mountain in the distance.

Russell Creek

Russell Lake

Wet meadow between Russell and Ouzel Lakes

Ouzel Lake

Cascades between Ouzel and Bald Knob Lakes. We listened to these all night-between the rain drops

Bald Knob Lake

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

scatman

@John Goering - Nice report and great scenery. The Beartooths have been on my bucket list for a few years now; I just need to find the time to fit them into my schedule.

John Goering

Day 2
Day 2 began with a futile effort to dry out the tent after an all night rain. In the end, the pack increased in weight a couple pounds but didn't want to wait any longer. We continued on the Russell Lake trail past Skull and Fizzle Lakes and crested the summit into the East Rosebud drainage at Fossil Lake. About a half mile above Dewey Lake we departed the trail for 3 plus days of off-trail travel. We camped above Oly Lake for two nights.

Looking back at Bald Knob Lake

Below Skull Lake

Skull Lake

Fizzle Lake

Fossil Lake

East Rosebud drainage

East Rosebud Creek below Fossil Lake

Off trail Below Oly Lake

Cascades/plunge pool below Oly Lake

Oly Lake from camp

Last edited:

Ben

The photos captioned "looking back at bald knob lake" and "skull lake" are the same picture, I'm pretty sure. But I like the picture, so if it's intentional, I don't mind.

John Goering

Day 3
Day 3 consisted of a day hike from Oly up to Cairn Lake and return. Cairn is probably my favorite place in the Beartooths.

Valley above Oly

Cairn Mountain

Cairn Lake "afterbay"

Lower end of Cairn Lake with the Spires in the background

More Cairn Lake

Headed back to Oly, Summit Mountain behind

Small cascades near camp

John Goering

Day 4

Day 4 was supposed to be a rather easy boulder bashing day up the drainage northwest of Oly topping out at Lower Skytop Lake and then down Skytop Creek past Rough Lake with a camp at Lone Elk Lake. Turned out that small drainage above Oly was a bit of a handful.

Leaving Oly

John Goering

Day 4 continued

Working our way up into the basin

There were several small lakes in the basin

We crested at about 10,300 feet at Lower Skytop Lake

Heading down Skytop Creek with Rough Lake behind

Lone Elk Lake, Mount Villard on far left, Spires middle

John Goering

Day 5

The fifth day travels were from Lone Elk, down Skytop Creek about a mile, and then cut to the south out of the Skytop drainage, past Pneumonia, Splinter, and Finger Lakes with a camp just below Moccasin Lake. There were a few rough stretches in that route also.

Skytop Creek below Lone Elk Lake

Skytop Creek. Our route passed beside that snowbank on the low ridge to the right

Looking back at Skytop Creek. Spires on far left, the flat topped Granite Peak (highest point in Montana), un-named peak, and Cairn Mountain right.

Pneumonia Lake

Descending to Splinter Lake

Finger Lake

Outlet of Finger Lake with Mount Zimmer in the distance

Moccasin Lake

Camp at Moccasin

John Goering

Day 6

Ah, the last day. We dropped off the shelf where Moccasin sits into the Broadwater River Drainage, climbed over, around, and occasionally under all the deadfall around Broadwater and Curl Lakes (88 Yellowstone fire victim) and finally hit FS trail 564 back to the trail head. That trail is not cleared above the mouth of Curl and we spent 2.5 hours making 1.5 miles in that mess.

Pilot and Index Peaks from Moccasin Lake

Below Moccasin. Broadwater and Curl Lakes in distance.

Broadwater Lake and Middle Mountain

Curl Lake with Pilot and Index behind

Broadwater River below Curl Lake

A very welcome if not well traveled FS 564

More Broadwater River

Wet meadow on Sedge Creek below Kersey Lake-a mile and a half to the trail head-Henderson Mountain behind

Tye Dye Twins

Heck of a trip! Beautuful country up there. You make me wanna re-visit Montana again!

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
Fantastic trip! What was your mileage?

Artemus

I walk
Thanks John Goering. Great Trip! We haven't had a whole lot on the Beartooth's posted here. x2 on "what was your mileage?". I agree Cairn Mtn and Lake look awesome. What would you figure would be the shortest mileage in from a trailhead to it? Did you see much bear sign?

Last edited:

Bob

Trailmaster
oh oh gears turning ...... :cautious:

TannerT

Hike Hard, Tread Lightly
Great trip report. We need more beta on Montana. I'm glad you're here to oblige. Pneumonia Lake calls to me, it's probably my inner Respiratory Therapist. Thanks for sharing.

John Goering

Fantastic trip! What was your mileage?

I'm guessing the total was someplace around 30 miles with about 12 of that on-trail. Cairn Lake is about 12 to 13 miles in from the Cooke City side and maybe a mile or so farther from East Rosebud trail head. It could be a very long day hike but in my opinion, the longer I can stay in that area, the better.

Somewhat amazing, but we didn't run across any bear sign the entire trip which was ok with us. The only big critters observed were goats although there were plenty of elk tracks and a few moose tracks, the latter in the Broadwater River area. When you have canines along, it doesn't in any way augment wildlife observation.

andyjaggy

Pretty country. I've only been in the Beartooth's once. When I was a teenager I went up to Froze to Death lake. It was pretty dang cold, but amazingly pretty.