Backcountry Vehicles

Thanks for the advice. I already have the best quality rack money can buy, the 1UP (tried half a dozen other junky ones). So the rack stays.

I am wondering about the four wheel off road specific swing mechanisms that are offered for mounting accessories onto them, such as a bike rack.

I do not think I have ever posted a picture of my off road war machine here before... and did not see it in this thread, but if I have ... please forgive me.

This is a picture from about a year ago when I was climbing up to tackle North Truchas Peak in northern New Mexico (and such BEAUTIFUL country for a multi-day hike). Since then I have added a 2.5" lift and a few other money draining options, but I have no plans to give it up till I drive it into the ground... and then I will just go get another one (just not new, cause I do not have 40k lol)

oMLZoEj.jpg

Jumping into the really expensive gear category...

I'm curious to know what vehicle people use to get to their favorite backpacking/hiking/fishing destinations.

Unfortunately, some of my trips get planned around my '98 Honda Accord. Eventually, I'm going to get a vehicle than can get me to some trailheads that the Accord just can't. For example, one of the trips I'm planning for next summer is into the West Fork Blacks Fork drainage of the Uintas. It would be nice to be able to ford the river and not worry about some of the extra rough spots.

Ideally, I'd like a vehicle with 4WD, high clearance, and room for 4-5 people with gear. This has led me to dream about vehicles like the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, and Nissan Xterra.

For now I'll keep dreaming, but what are people using to get to their little harder to reach destinations?

Zep
I used to have a 4WD F250 but it was a crew cab long bed and even though I put it in some tight places its just a beast. I now run a slightly modified 16 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road. Been a great truck. I guess it depends on where you will primarily be going. I spend a lot of time in Utah so its a cross between needing ground clearance and dealing with deep sand.

@Nick Any plans for sliders/bumpers? Also why do you need a lift?

I need to upgrade the suspension to properly handle the weight of the FWC so as long as I'm doing that I'm going to lift it a few inches.

Yes on sliders. Not sure exactly what but I want something to step up onto at the very least. I haven't looked into them much yet so I don't really know what's good yet. I'm thinking no on bumpers because I like the all white appearance of what I have now, but then I saw one the other day that had a white aftermarket fancy bumper and it made me think a little. I kind of like the look of the ones people put on the back with the swing away spare, but then I think it's stupid. Why wouldn't I prefer to keep the spare hidden away?

Can I get the automated step boards with that? :D

But seriously, any recommendations on places to get work done like that in the SLC area? Lifts, etc...

Have you worked with either of them or heard good things?

I’ve only bought from them both but never used their service. I’m mostly a DYI when it comes to vehicles. The purchases were good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I get the automated step boards with that? :D

But seriously, any recommendations on places to get work done like that in the SLC area? Lifts, etc...
Now that I want to ride in, @Nick ! But I want a 5 point harness and full body airbags when you get rowdy like last time. I mean every time...

Last edited:

Call Cruiseroutfitters in Sandy. 801-563-1277. Or info@cruiseroutfitters.com. They live and breath Toyota. Small shop, but a first class operation, very fair prices, meticulous work, stellar customer service. They do lifts on Toyotas every day. The owner is as solid as they get and knows his stuff extremely well. They will steer you towards an Old Man Emu system for the lift and I would too.

Seriously, to have a lift done on a Toyota, if I wasn't doing it myself, I wouldn't even consider going anywhere else. As far as that goes, on the Tacoma lifts I have installed for friends I didn't consider going anywhere else for the parts either.

- DAA

Call Cruiseroutfitters in Sandy. 801-563-1277. Or info@cruiseroutfitters.com. They live and breath Toyota. Small shop, but a first class operation, very fair prices, meticulous work, stellar customer service. They do lifts on Toyotas every day. The owner is as solid as they get and knows his stuff extremely well. They will steer you towards an Old Man Emu system for the lift and I would too.

Seriously, to have a lift done on a Toyota, if I wasn't doing it myself, I wouldn't even consider going anywhere else. As far as that goes, on the Tacoma lifts I have installed for friends I didn't consider going anywhere else for the parts either.

- DAA

Thanks Dave! I actually just talked to them this afternoon in addition to the other two shops mentioned above. I was already leaning toward Cruiser and your endorsement seals the deal. They proposed an Old Man Emu 3 inch lift with an add-a-leaf in the back. I think I'll call and get it ordered in the morning.

Reactions: DAA

- DAA
Hi Dave. Long time no see and welcome back! Good to have your advice here again.

Thanks Dave! I actually just talked to them this afternoon in addition to the other two shops mentioned above. I was already leaning toward Cruiser and your endorsement seals the deal. They proposed an Old Man Emu 3 inch lift with an add-a-leaf in the back. I think I'll call and get it ordered in the morning.

Good call! Those guys really understand Toyota 4WD vehicles and specific use cases. They don't just sell and install this stuff, they use the crap out of it themselves - I have been on quite a few multi day trail runs with the owner. For the friends Tacoma's that I have installed lifts for, I just talked to Kurt, explained the budget and goals and went with his suggestions to the letter. I only had to make one stop, picked up all the parts in one shot, got detailed advice on specific challenges, tips and tricks of the install, the installs went super smooth and the owners are just super pleased with the results. The Old Man Emu stuff is revered world wide for this kind of application. Can't go wrong with it.

- DAA

I ordered the OME from Cruiser Outfitters yesterday. Parts are on the way and they should be able to get me in for install in 3-4 weeks.

Now I'm on the hunt for tires and wheels. I'm thinking I'm going to go with 33's. Not way huge, but should look good and still ride well on the highway, I hope. I think I'm going to stick with BFG All Terrain KO2's but with an E rating for the extra weight.

As for wheels, I'm debating downsizing to an 18 inch from the 20's that I have now. I know 20's are usually desirable but I kind of like the look of having more rubber on there and the extra cushion probably wouldn't hurt. Anyone have any recommendations on brands or anything for wheels? I'm feeling overwhelmed by the selection. I feel like I need to go see them in person.

I just bought some Cooper Discover S/T Maxx
LT285/75R16 load range E
They ride much smoother than my BFG's. They have worked in the mud and on the rocks. Lots of tire. Ride well aired down.