Backcountry Vehicles

With 33's, I would want the additional sidewall of the 18's. It will ride better.

Most aftermarket wheels just aren't as good as the upgraded factory wheels like you already have. But some are. They generally start at $200+, each, but that is for a quality wheel. For a Toyota, I'd look at Icon Dynamics. I think your choices there would be 20" or 17" though. But I'd rather have 17's than 18's anyway, especially with 33's.

You'll want to watch out for proper offset, to make sure the 33's don't rub. And most 17's would be suspect for fitment over the brakes. But the Icon's are engineered for all that - they are a good quality wheel. Which, the vast majority of aftermarket wheels, are not.

I prefer to keep the factory wheels when possible, they are almost always higher quality. I'm hard on wheels though. Most people probably never have to worry about breaking one. Balance can be an issue too though. Had a set of KMC's once that took more weight to balance without even a tire mounted on them than the factory tires and wheels together had.

- DAA

I just bought some Cooper Discover S/T Maxx
LT285/75R16 load range E
They ride much smoother than my BFG's. They have worked in the mud and on the rocks. Lots of tire. Ride well aired down.
That is the ones I am debating for my next set once my Mickey Thompson's wear down more. I have a couple friends who swear by them.

That is the ones I am debating for my next set once my Mickey Thompson's wear down more. I have a couple friends who swear by them.
10k miles on them and they are holding up well. No complaints so far.
I like skinny tall tires.

Update on my Tundra build. I got the 3" Old Man Emu lift installed today at Cruiser Outfitters. I love it! The height is great and the ride quality is superior just driving around town and on the freeway. It looks a little odd with the stock tires and wheels on it, but I can deal with it for a bit. I decided on a set of Icon Rebound 17" wheels in the titanium finish. Unfortunately they haven't been released yet so I'll be waiting 2-3 more weeks to get them. Leaning toward going with 34"-ish tires now. I'm also probably going to put some SDHQ sliders on. only about 6 weeks left until my FWC should arrive...

Here's the truck with the lift after picking it up this afternoon.
IMG_0695 2.jpg

These are the new wheels. I think I might paint the fake bead lock bolts black. Otherwise I love them.
ic.jpg

And the sliders (haven't ordered yet).
slides.jpg

Update on my Tundra build. I got the 3" Old Man Emu lift installed today at Cruiser Outfitters. I love it! The height is great and the ride quality is superior just driving around town and on the freeway. It looks a little odd with the stock tires and wheels on it, but I can deal with it for a bit. I decided on a set of Icon Rebound 17" wheels in the titanium finish. Unfortunately they haven't been released yet so I'll be waiting 2-3 more weeks to get them. Leaning toward going with 34"-ish tires now. I'm also probably going to put some SDHQ sliders on. only about 6 weeks left until my FWC should arrive...

Here's the truck with the lift after picking it up this afternoon.
View attachment 64625

These are the new wheels. I think I might paint the fake bead lock bolts black. Otherwise I love them.
View attachment 64628

And the sliders (haven't ordered yet).
View attachment 64627
Looking good mister. Audra or the dogs having any trouble getting in without running boards?
For the bead bolts you might want to plastidip instead of paint.

Hey Nick, take that thing down to Price when it's done and see how it does in the Main St. drag races with all the old trucks down there, some of which are really built. (Price has more old collectible pickups than anyplace I've ever been.)

My new (to me) rig - this is a photo of one just like it, except mine's all white - it's a 1997 4X4 - will post a photo when I find my camera cable...made in Colorado (except the Chevy engine)...and I still have my FJ for tent camping in the wayback, though this thing would probably get me pretty close. It has a bathroom which I may take out, which would mean no blackwater tank for better clearance.

02 - Side.jpg

Last edited:
My new (to me) rig - this is a photo of one just like it, except mine's all white - it's a 1997 4X4 - will post a photo when I find my camera cable...made in Colorado (except the Chevy engine)...and I still have my FJ for tent camping in the wayback, though this thing would probably get me pretty close. It has a bathroom which I may take out, which would mean no blackwater tank for better clearance.

View attachment 64673
Sweet, Rock!

Pics of yours in and out once you’ve found your cable please.

Looking good mister. Audra or the dogs having any trouble getting in without running boards?
For the bead bolts you might want to plastidip instead of paint.

It's a little tough to get into but the sliders will help. The 35's I'm now thinking about putting on won't though. 10-4 on the plastidip. Thanks!

Had to upgrade to an 8 seater for the family. Here's the car enjoying a view up on Thousand Lake Mountain. It may be old, but it sure is nice having a high clearance 4WD vehicles not only for myself (4runner) but for the whole family now. Everything works on this vehicle as well, and paid cash...

1528164126760.png

Here's a link to see it in action on the same road further back: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GCvMdqRMXLHPxHNp2

Had to upgrade to an 8 seater for the family. Here's the car enjoying a view up on Thousand Lake Mountain. It may be old, but it sure is nice having a high clearance 4WD vehicles not only for myself (4runner) but for the whole family now. Everything works on this vehicle as well, and paid cash...

View attachment 64961

Here's a link to see it in action on the same road further back: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GCvMdqRMXLHPxHNp2
You win the coolest dad award.

For me, the gear is as much fun as the destination! Currently I’m using a 99 4Runner, it gets the job done well and I’ve been very happy with it. But as my family grows the space is getting smaller inside to pack ourselves and gear in, so I’ll be considering the switch to a 4th generation 4Runner soon I think.

Here’s a few photos in its element.

2B88AE5B-69F2-4555-86EF-E5DDEEB639CE.jpeg

CDB0D036-5350-4990-A8C1-41D07456A89D.jpeg

CAABD0A5-A75B-4CD8-AA71-5AE6D2E71B57.jpeg

For me, the gear is as much fun as the destination! Currently I’m using a 99 4Runner, it gets the job done well and I’ve been very happy with it. But as my family grows the space is getting smaller inside to pack ourselves and gear in, so I’ll be considering the switch to a 4th generation 4Runner soon I think.

Here’s a few photos in its element.

View attachment 66460

View attachment 66462

View attachment 66463

That's a pretty sweet setup!

Last edited:
This just reminded me that I haven't posted an update on my rig in a while. I got my tires, wheels and sliders on and I think it's looking pretty, pretty good. Unfortunately my Four Wheel Camper that was scheduled to arrive around July 14th got bumped back to late August. :( So for now, it's just empty back there and sitting way too high...
IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1161 2.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

Looks really good.