Art in the Parks

Zebra Canyon has been defaced with a big Heart surrounding the words "2016 Kenny + Aryn" it is circulating on Facebook and I am 99% sure who did it from Facebook sleuthing. I reported it to the Kanab field office. Here is the vandalism:
824bcd70a5a06df05e0134311cf8be60.jpg

Moderator note: photo of alleged perpetrators removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zebra Canyon has been defaced with a big Heart surrounding the words "2016 Kenny + Aryn" it is circulating on Facebook and I am 99% sure who did it from Facebook sleuthing. I reported it to the Kanab field office. Here is the vandalism:
824bcd70a5a06df05e0134311cf8be60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rage:

I was cruising through the comments section on KSL about this story. Pretty discouraging.

I wonder how many people actually think about what they say or make an effort to think for themselves. Most that comment are perfectly fine with vandalism and destruction. Actual comment,

"When Indians do this, it's called "History" or "Art" but when white people do it, it's called "vandalism". Let's get rid of all the vandalism from the past and present. Hieroglyphics are nothing more than early forms of vandalism and graffiti!"

I can't think of anymore reason to create National Parks and Monuments. I am going to make a donation to the Sierra Club in that douche bags name.

Very stupid and brainless people are out there.

No sense and respect for the nature, historic sites, etc, etc.

Maybe the penalties are to low.

I dunno what those have learned at home, in the school and in their life...

but we have the same problems here - less in the nature, more in the urban jungle...

Gesendet via iPhone 6S mit TapaTalk

I would hope most these incidents (def doesn't apply to the OP story) are just people being ignorant and lacking a large amount of common sense (the fact they post these on social media makes me think that). The good news is those incidents can be reduced greatly by news stories picking it up and explaining how illegal and offensive to many it is. The more times someone rethinks something dumb because they remember a new article the better. Those that do these things and don't share and DO know better will be the bigger issue I think.

I really wish they would throw the book at the Casey Nocket though, that would both show how serious they are and bring a lot of exposure to the the problem and its severity.

Vandalism in the parks makes me think of the saying "Good roads bring bad people and Bad roads bring good people".
I don't see defacement and litter when I get way back into the wild. I see it where it is easy to get to near good roads or on a lake.
So does that mean that it is a percentage issue, or a mind set issue?
It takes will and determination to get into the "back of beyond" and those that get off the easy path have a respect for what they see.
Or is it inherent (vandalism, trash, and entitlement) in a small percentage of people and the numbers are not large enough that I have experienced it?

One step further ........ no roads bring hardly any people

Wow! She pretty much can't go anywhere for serious outdoor recreation for two years. Glad the system worked here.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
balzaccom Napa LIghted Art Festival Everything Else 2
balzaccom Napa's lighted art festival Photography 1
napatony13 UNUSUAL ROCK ART STYLES Off Road 4
napatony13 BISHOP BACKROADS ROCK ART Off Road 2
napatony13 SUCCESSFUL SLEUTHING-Nevada Rock Art Off Road 6
Henk Moab rock art vandalized General Discussion 1
J Bunch O' N. San Rafael Swell summit scrambles April 10-12, 2021 (now w/rock art) Hiking & Camping 3
J Dayhiking Moab's awesome geography, couple hikes to summits and rock art April 8-9, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
Stephanie B Fishing (for Trout) and Hunting (for Rock Art) In and Near Capitol Reef National Park Hiking & Camping 7
Stephanie B Searchin' for Ruins and Rock Art in San Juan County, UT Hiking & Camping 6
Stephanie B Sand Island and Sand Dune Rock Art Hiking & Camping 1
SKLund Spilling the Beans on Rock Art General Discussion 15
Jackson Hunting for Rock Art in Tooele County Hiking & Camping 5
J Sloan Canyon & Lake Mead summits and rock art Nov 26-28, 2016 Hiking & Camping 0
J Summits and Rock Art in Nevada's Mojave Nov 8-10, 2016 Hiking & Camping 2
Udink Vernal Area Rock Art Hiking & Camping 0
IntrepidXJ Rock Art Along the Reef Hiking & Camping 3
WasatchWill The art of pooping in the woods General Discussion 41
backwoodsBob backpacking & the state of the Art Gear 120
kerkphil Sego Canyon Rock Art Everything Else 3
IntrepidXJ Grand Junction City Hall Art Exhibit Reception Photography 1
Nick Wild Horse Window Rock Art General Discussion 27
kerkphil Escalante Canyon Rock Art Hiking & Camping 0
kerkphil Utah Pictographs, Petroglyphs and Rock Art Blog General Discussion 3
Darwin The Art Of Rough Travel General Discussion 0
IntrepidXJ Marty’s Moab Rock Art Tour Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Rock Art & Fall Colors Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Rock Art Road Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Cedar Mesa Ruins & Rock Art Hiking & Camping 1
IntrepidXJ Easter Weekend Ruins & Rock Art Hiking & Camping 2
Nick How to find rock art General Discussion 3
Udink San Rafael Reef Rock Art Hiking & Camping 3
Deadeye008 Willard Rock Art Hiking & Camping 2
IntrepidXJ Searching for Rock Art in Mill Creek Canyon Hiking & Camping 1
IntrepidXJ Private Property Rock Art Hiking & Camping 1
IntrepidXJ Album Rock Art and Ruins Photography 631
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
J Hiking Southwest Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Dec. 26-28, 2022 Hiking & Camping 2
Rockskipper Interesting article about dark sky parks General Discussion 12
balzaccom SAR in our national parks Trip Planning 8
IntrepidXJ Arches and Canyonlands National Parks Accepting Comments on Proposed Fee Increases for Backcountry Operations General Discussion 38
Rockskipper National Parks new social distancing posters General Discussion 6
balzaccom Opening up the parks General Discussion 18
UtahBrian Wondering When The National Parks Will Open General Discussion 13
C Parks opening up General Discussion 6
Parma Let's See Your US National Parks Signs Photos Photography 21
C Supreme Court ruling on Rivers in National Parks General Discussion 9
wsp_scott Article: Crisis in our national parks General Discussion 96
regehr The DJT Utah National Parks Highway General Discussion 27
Rockskipper Canada Parks Passes on sale through the end of the year - 20% off General Discussion 0