Art in the Parks

I agree about her cleaning pit toilets. Very nice.
I think she is an absolute idiot, she should be charged, and with all of her signed evidence I would assume she will be convicted and fiined. Besides the pit toilets I agree about her cleaning up and or paying to clean up her graffiti.

But I must say, in my opinion, given the state of things in our world, this is nothing.
Nothing.
F*cked up, but nothing.
People destroying or defacing rock art or structures, things that we loose forever, is something. I am sure the rock she defaced can and will be restored, and her idiocy forgotten.

"Canyonlands? Well, it's not bad I guess. But what this place really needs is a scribble of a woman smoking a joint all over this slickrock. Yosemite? A dude vomiting up a snake should make Vernal Fall easier on the eye...."

Unbelievable. This story really makes me mad, and I just can't fathom the mindset of someone like this. So incredibly self centred and selfish. Anyway, if you've not seen it, after a few days of silence she's now taken to her blog again in an attempt to justify her "art" - comparing her self to Banksy, arguing some kind of weird twisted feminist logic that men are hating on her, and claiming that people don't get it because they're not from the East Coast o_O I really look forward to the day when I read that the full weight of the law has been thrown at this individual, and that surely can't be far off...

Wow, her blog is full of the most arrogant impenitence I've seen. She's a complete moron. She also speaks entirely in fractured internet lingo and hashtags, which says a lot about how stupid she is. She even put up a #biggerthanjesus hashtag. Hope she gets prosecuted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's dumb enough to blog about her vandalism? Please, I hope the feds are taking note and will use every word in their case against her.

Last edited:
The legitimacy of that Tumblr account is in question. Modern Hiker is saying she deleted her real account and has turned herself over to the NPS.

She has now been officially named as the 'primary suspect'. Hopefully that means charges should be coming shortly.

http://home.nps.gov/news/release.htm?id=1651

National Park Service Press Release
For Immediate Release:
shim.gif
October 29, 2014
Contact(s): Jeffrey Olson, jeffrey_olson@nps.gov 202-208-6843

Suspect Named in Vandalism Case at Eight Western National Parks

Public asked to be patient as investigation continues

WASHINGTON – A 21-year-old New York State woman, Casey Nocket, has been identified as the primary suspect in recent vandalism cases that affect eight national parks in the western United States.

National Park Service investigators have confirmed that images were painted on rocks and boulders in Yosemite National Park, Death Valley National Park, and Joshua Tree National Park, all in California; Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado National Monument, both in Colorado; Crater Lake National Park, in Oregon; Zion National Park and Canyonlands National Park, both in Utah.

Investigators continue to collect evidence of the crimes, conduct interviews, and are consulting with the U.S. Attorney’s Office about potential charges. We ask the public to exercise patience and allow due process to take its course as the investigation moves forward.

The image in Rocky Mountain National Park was reported to the park and removed in late September before similar images were found in the other national parks.

Ice and snow now cover the image at Crater Lake National Park, and it may not be accessible for assessment and clean up until next summer.

An image in Yosemite National Park was removed by an unknown person or persons.

If people visiting these parks come upon these images, they should contact the nearest park ranger with information about the image location. Visitors should not attempt to remove the images.

The National Park Service was contacted on October 20 about this vandalism case. The investigation began immediately.

Awesome. I'd be tempted to remove an image if I saw one, but I presume they need to document it as evidence.

As a journalist you should be one of the first to come out against this person...... It's a black eye to any 'artist' which I wouldn't classify her as.
Nothing neutral about this. It's a blatant disregard for land we all own..... vandalism in any Park should be punished severely. Unfortunately punishment probably will not be much........

Ugh. On the bright side, it appears to be wearing away pretty quick. I'm surprised it hasn't already been properly removed.

upload_2015-2-22_16-6-39.png

Not the same person, but similar idea. How would someone justify thinking it was ok to light arial fireworks in a National Monument, WSA, or precious desert wilderness? I am kind of baffled that someone who loves these places would treat them so poorly.

I'm not on Instagram, but if you are, please tell this person what you think.

I find this place to be incredibly important, and this is disgusting to me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCX8tv7m1x4/

In case he decides to pull the photo, I've take the liberty of the almighty screen shot. I'm also in the process of contacting GSENM, and the BLM.

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 9.12.43 AM.png

Not the same person, but similar idea. How would someone justify thinking it was ok to light arial fireworks in a National Monument, WSA, or precious desert wilderness? I am kind of baffled that someone who loves these places would treat them so poorly.

In case he decides to pull the photo, I've take the liberty of the almighty screen shot. I'm also in the process of contacting GSENM, and the BLM.

View attachment 40477

Done

Along the same lines: http://petapixel.com/2016/02/23/iconic-shipwrecks-fire-likely-caused-light-painting-photographer/

View attachment 40477

Need some back up - one person is already trolling me for my comment.

Need some back up - one person is already trolling me for my comment.

Whatever he thinks is right or wrong, it's illegal to light fireworks in a National Monument. He has been turned in, I hope that they prosecute strongly as a deterrent to this type of thing happening more.

Whatever he thinks is right or wrong, it's illegal to light fireworks in a National Monument. He has been turned in, I hope that they prosecute strongly as a deterrent to this type of thing happening more.

Not just in a Monument, any land administered by the BLM