Advice for a November visit to Las Vegas

kwc

I have a friend who is thinking about going to Vegas in November and is looking for hiking ideas around there She believes they will be there a week. So my friends, ant ideas? Is Death Valley too far a drive for a couple days of visiting? They’ve thought about the Grand Canyon but I thought that the weather might be a potential issue (south rim as the north rim will probably be closed).
Thank you!

The hiking book I have for the Vegas area includes hikes in Death Valley and Mojave Preserve so they might be considered close enough.
I second Red Rocks and also Valley of Fire.
Best website I have seen for that area is birdandhike.com. Guy who runs it is an ecologist and hiker.

Death Valley is only a couple of hours from Vegas and it is a very easy drive to the east side of the park. On the way is Ash Meadows NWR that has looked interesting as I have driven by (but too hot in July).

Reactions: kwc
Lake Mead National Rec Area has everything you could want: slot canyons, hot springs, rock art, mountain scrambles, crosscountry hiking.

I started years ago with nothing but a plane tix, rental car and this book:
"Afoot and Afield" LV and S. NV Brian Beffort

Here's a sample of close to LV:

Last edited:
Grand Canyon in November can be great. Fewer people vying for permits, cooler temperatures. Chance of snow on the rim, of course, and traction sometimes necessary, but I will only hike Grand Canyon in Mar/Apr and Nov/Dec. Best times to go in my opinion.

Thanks everyone! I’ve passed your recommendations onto my friend (former co-worker).

""Afoot and Afield" LV and S. NV Brian Beffort"
This is the book I was referring to!

I don't know what the people situation has been like that time of year, lately, but my automatic response to a couple of days free in November is that I'd be:
-at Valley of Fire early in the morning on day 1, hiking the White Domes, Fire Wave, and Rainbow Vista
-in Springdale, UT by 4pm, getting a drypants or drysuit package from Zion Adventure Company
-stepping off the Riverside Walk into the Virgin River around sunup the next morning, hiking the Narrows up to Big Springs, and Orderville Canyon up to Veiled Falls

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ross Any Lake Powell experts who can advice on changed conditions at dramatically new lake levels? Trip Planning 3
marquiri Off Trail Advice Trip Planning 17
Nethos Maine/NH Paddling Advice Trip Planning 2
TeamJenkins17 Washakie Wilderness Trip Advice Trip Planning 17
D Backpacking Advice in the Winds, Teton Wilderness and the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 8
napatony13 SEEKING KANAB CREEK ADVICE Trip Planning 3
D Advice for short backpacking trip in Robbers Roost Trip Planning 2
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
R Eastern Uinta Solo Trip Advice Request Trip Planning 5
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
M 5 days Green > Elk Wind River route advice August 17th Trip Planning 9
McKee80 Yellowstone backpacking advice Trip Planning 15
montanaclimber advice Grand Canyon backpacking Spring 2020 Trip Planning 16
forest dweller Seeking advice for a 5 or 6 night Banff or Jasper backpacking trip for a married couple with different ideas of what awesome is!!! Trip Planning 7
R 6 day Glacier National Park Trip August 6th-14th Advice Trip Planning 0
R 6 Day 5 Night hike Kintla Lake to Bowman Lake early August advice Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
D Colorado advice?? Other trip suggestions?? Trip Planning 15
Parma Elephant Hill Road Advice General Discussion 1
Lowro Winds advice Trip Planning 11
Benjamin Hayden Looking for advice on Maze District, Canyonlands Trip Planning 1
swmalone Advice from Skiers Gear 36
maxpetros Advice for devils path Trip Planning 7
ScienceMom Hello from Vegas! And anyone have advice for helping reluctant-hikers enjoy backpacking more? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 25
K Sawtooths Advice (July 2018) Trip Planning 19
Vegan.Hiker Lens advice Photography 6
LarryBoy A week in Zion... Advice needed! Trip Planning 7
R Black hills trip advice Trip Planning 7
pixie1339 White Pocket, South Coyote Buttes Advice Trip Planning 11
R Trip advice Trip Planning 4
T K9 hiking adventures & K9 backpack advice. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Rockskipper Need some trip advice General Discussion 9
seekinglost Trip advice for huge Sawtooths loop Trip Planning 3
Perry New to Desert Hiking... Any Advice? General Discussion 8
Noun Sequitur Photography for kids (need advice) Photography 11
IceChip Sawtooth backpacking advice Trip Planning 4
T Advice Needed for 5 night Backpack route in Southern Utah Trip Planning 2
Brian Skibbe 200 mile Yellowstone loop in June. Route advice needed. Trip Planning 15
Aries_Ranger South Winds Advice... Trip Planning 4
Archbishop I want bag a few peaks. Advice needed. Trip Planning 33
trampalong Mylar and Mylar Bivy Advice Needed Gear 18
J Newbie - hoping for some advice on one night backpack in utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Perry Cuberant Basin On Sunday - Need Some Advice and a Plan B Trip Planning 6
Uncle_Dim Wasatch Front Quick Trip Advice Needed Trip Planning 8
Austin Fishing/Backpacking advice for the Uintas (Ruth,Cutthroat,Teal) Trip Planning 9
mpuchtel Looking to give and receive trip advice Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Hurakan Need some Winds Advice. Trip Planning 14
Nate Levine Advice on hiking the Little Colorado River in July Trip Planning 7
S Moab/San Rafael Swell Trip advice-family Trip Planning 6
CaptnKidd Solo Trek Down South, Advice? Trip Planning 8
Outdoor_Fool Good practical advice General Discussion 0