Red Rock(s) Canyon Natl.Conservation Area Hikes and Scrambles Nov. 15 and 16, 2017

John Morrow

Home sick with abdominal pain, dreaming of the Mojave desert. Thought I'd pass the time with a retro trip report from last fall.

Nov 15: Great figure 8 loop of 4 fun scramble peaks of the Calico Basin area of Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area outside of Vegas.

First Kraft Mountain 4714': The leftmost gully on the south face when viewed from Sandstone Drive TH is 700 vertical feet of beautiful solid and sustained Class 3. West Ridge descent had lots of sandstone pinnacles to work through.

CalicoTraverse.jpg

DSC03822.JPG

Ascent gully at far right of photo:
DSC03823.JPGDSC03826.JPGDSC03827.JPGDSC03832.JPG

Then on to New Peak 4987': Up East Ridge, which provides fun limestone ridge scrambling if you stay on top of the ridge, down west ridge to Ash Canyon saddle.

DSC03833.JPGDSC03835.JPG

Then a finish in the Calico Tank Peaks which began with an interesting route find out of the Ash Canyon Divide. After New Peak, I worked my way up the NE Face of the Red Cap/Calico Tank ridge zigzagging ramps and ledges and a small tight gully. At the saddle it was convoluted routefinding around, through, over sandstone blocks to reach the summit of Calico Tank Peak 4880'.

DSC03838.JPGDSC03839.JPGDSC03847.JPG

Surprisingly, the descent to the Tanks Trail was easy on a big diagonaling ramp all the way down to the trail. I was expecting complications. This put me right before the West Peak 4850' climb. After Calico Tank Peak, the route up the North side of this one was fun Class 3 up a diagonaling right blocky gully to a fine short low angle open book of desert varnish faces. Then work it to the top. An obvious deep dirty brushy gully worked for the descent right back to the trail. Would be easy on ascent.

DSC03850.JPGDSC03851.JPG

DSC03855.JPG

I returned to the TH by descending the Tanks trail and turning right in the unnamed draw back up to the Ash Canyon Divide. Then the Ash Canyon user trail down to the TH. The loose gully descent of this route had me wondering what a direct Ash Canyon descent would involve. Future perhaps?

DSC03859.JPGDSC03862.JPGDSC03869.JPG

Nov 16: 50 mile gusts predicted proved true so I was lucky just to get this simple scramble Class 2 to the smaller of the 2 White Rock Peaks, known as White Rock Springs Peak 6003'. Apparently the west one is 3 feet higher. Did one Class 3 move coming from White Rock Spring Peak dropping into a notch that could be avoided by a low tread detour. A nice little easy Class 2 scramble otherwise. Aborted the traverse to White Rock Peak due to high winds of up to the 50 mph gusts! My tent poles were bent and tent laying sideways with broken guy lines when I got back to the campground.

WhiteRockSpringPk.jpg

DSC03870.JPGDSC03871.JPGDSC03873.JPGDSC03874.JPGDSC03875.JPGDSC03876.JPG

Brief Class 3 step to get to highpoint:

DSC03877.JPGDSC03878.JPG

The traverse from yesterday:DSC03879.JPG

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
IntrepidXJ Red Rock to Black Canyon Backpacking 3
IntrepidXJ A Morning in Red Rock Canyon Everything Else 1
L Red Castle Lakes / Wilson Peak OR Rock Creek Basin Trip Planning 4
cbslc Red Rock National Conservation Area - White Rock loop Hiking & Camping 4
wnorton Red Rock Hikers (Southern Utah and Nevada) General Discussion 0
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
TeamJenkins17 Red Tops/Needle Creek Drainage Info Trip Planning 0
BJett Red River Gorge/Red Byrd Arch Packraft Trip - Kentucky Hiking & Camping 9
Stephanie B Our Intro to the Red Desert, September 14 - 16, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
fossana Red Cliffs & Dixie NF fire-related trail/road closures (St George area) Trip Planning 1
wsp_scott Two kids and the Red River Gorge Backpacking 7
wsp_scott A year in the Red River Gorge Backpacking 15
Artemus Road Proposed to be Bulldozed through Red Cliffs Recreation Area General Discussion 7
wsp_scott Red River Gorge (KY) Backpacking 3
WasatchWill Red Castle vs Cirque of the Towers vs Titcomb Trip Planning 50
Ehouston24 Uintas Loop (Red Castle/Kings Peak) Trip Planning 14
Rockskipper Snowshed on Red Mountain Pass, Colorado, 3-16-19 General Discussion 7
b.stark Red River Gorge 2010 "From The Vault" Backpacking 5
fossana Red Reef loop Hiking & Camping 3
DrNed Red Castle Kings Peak Henry's Fork Take Two Backpacking 8
cmgz Red Breaks from Harris Wash Canyoneering 13
fossana Red Cliffs Après Work Scramble Hiking & Camping 3
Dustin Gent Red Breaks via Spencer Creek Road General Discussion 1
Ugly Wednesday Night's Red Pine Winter Sports 2
jdfut66 Red Castle Loop Backpacking 13
George_Washington_Hayduke Possible to go up Red Breaks? Trip Planning 5
Tystevens Henry's Fork -- Red Castle loop from China Meadows Backpacking 2
Kootenai Red Castle recommendations? Trip Planning 1
Perry Red Castle Is Open for Business ... eeh .. Almost Backpacking 19
scatman Red Butte Canyon Rim-Walk - May 20, 2017 Hiking & Camping 10
AKay09 Red River Gorge/Clifty Wilderness Trip Planning 0
Stephanie Quick trip to Coyote Gulch via Red Well Trip Planning 4
danger02ward Dead horse lake with a visit to continent lake,reconnaissance lake, red knob pass, and allsop pass Backpacking 4
Perry Off Trail Porcupine Pass to Red Castle Lake Trip Planning 5
Kullaberg63 Indecision Peak, Red Rocks, NV Hiking & Camping 0
Perry Question About Number In Red Shown At Top of Main Page Questions, Suggestions & Support 2
Jackson Lower Red Castle Lake Backpacking 4
Ross Hiking/easy canyoneering partner for Bull Valley Gorge,Sand Wash (Red Cave) & other spots Trip Planning 0
Seldom Seen Anderson Red Butte Wilderness Hiking & Camping 3
IntrepidXJ Red Mountain Colors Hiking & Camping 4
Writhdar Red Breaks Northeast & East Forks Loop? (Escalante area) General Discussion 3
BJett Hikesgiving 2015 in the Red River Gorge Backpacking 10
D John Muir Trail: Yosemite to Red's Meadow Backpacking 8
Red Rock Rangers Red Canyon Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Red River Gorge, Kentucky - Perseids Hiking & Camping 5
Bigred72 Red Pine Lake Backpacking 1
IntrepidXJ Red Mountain Pass Peaks Hiking & Camping 8
Jackson Red Pine Lake Backpacking 6