Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure

Very inspiring! I would love to do a solo trip like this. BTW is “schwackpacking” a real word? Haha! I do know exactly what you mean though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You wanna solo, Perry! Cool! I think there is even a thread about this here. Larry showed it is possible and can be safe even in one of the most wild and bear-filled wilderness in the lower 48. Well done, Larry!

Last edited:
Perry, You want to solo back in here? Go For It!!! Now personally I have been going solo back in this Thorofare - Absaroka Country for years, ever since 1982 and have Absolutely Loved It!!!! Personally I trust the Grizzlies more then people for at least they will Not Stab Someone in the back. There is a lot of amazing amazing country back in this Absaroka Country that one can get lost in On Purpose! And if you know the old skills, one can quite easily live off the land and prolong your trips back in here. Many a time back in here, I would start in May and go to September or October. And often between Memorial Day to Labor Day, would go out to town only like a couple of times all summer to resupply. The traffic in here is often restricted to only certain areas. There are areas back in this country that is not only roadless and wilderness, but also completely trailless. It is land as it is meant to be with being completely wild and filled with wild and amazing critters, and where one can hike and ramble to one heart's desires. Plus the government as for this Absaroka Country has not imposed much regulation as it has in other areas.
Again Go For It! There is a lot of good good country back in here. And one more final thing, the snowpack back in this country for this past winter, as of right now is way above normal.

Wishing You the Best!

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jackson Quick day hike in the Montana Absarokas Hiking & Camping 13
Jackson Southern Absarokas - Cub Creek and South Buffalo Fork Backpacking 9
Aldaron Absarokas Meet Up (Members Only) 35
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
norwegianxplorer Ski Dogs, Norway, fun days off piste ski touring amazing conditions Winter Sports 0
balzaccom Fun in Mokelumne Canyon Backpacking 1
Ugly Front Range Friday Fun Winter Sports 5
J Lake Mead Natl Recreation Area North Shore scramble fun. Nov. 28-30, 2019 Hiking & Camping 5
Titans Fun shaped Rocks Photography 26
pstm13 Snowshoeing With Kids: So Much Fun it “Yurts.” Winter Sports 11
gnwatts Family Meander Canyon float trip, slow, fun and hot On The Water 4
Titans Surprising winter fun in Fiery Furnace Hiking & Camping 8
TractorDoc Album Fun with Fungus -- aka Mushroom Pictures Photography 34
dug Type 1 Fun. Bikerafting Labyrinth Cyn. On The Water 0
LarryBoy Absorokas Fun Route Trip Planning 13
westy Roost and Swell fun Canyoneering 3
toejam This looks like fun Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
Dave Winter Fun on the North Slope Winter Sports 2
Michael Wire Pass to Lee's Ferry - 4 days adventure and fun (May 2012) Backpacking 25
J Fun remote trails, northern utah? Trip Planning 1
powderglut Kids having fun!! General Discussion 2
Jen Emergency fun planning! General Discussion 6
Ranger Joe The Great Western Expedition of 2011, Pt.1...Fun with Fins Off Road 1
Kullaberg63 Dirty Devil home brewed 'overland route' March 2024 Trip Reports 18
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
fossana A challenging week on the Escalante Overland Route Backpacking 21
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
D Wind River offtrail route questions Trip Planning 28
scatman Grandeur Peak - Dragon Tail Route - June 10, 2023 Hiking & Camping 13
B Sawtooths - Off Trail Route Plan Trip Planning 9
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
climbhigh1119 How doable is the sneak route out of Death Hollow with kids and a dog? Trip Planning 6
PaulMags Grand - Moab Route Backpacking 1
seekinglost Introducing the Mojave-Sonoran Trail: A NEW 625-mile Winter Thru-Hiking Route Backpacking 4
RyanP Young's/Lean-To Route in DC Trip Planning 7
M Grand Canyon NP, Royal Arch Route Backpacking 0
Yvonne Climbing Mount Saint Helens via Monitor Ridge Route, July 2021 Hiking & Camping 16
scatman Grandeur Peak - Dagon's Tail Route - November 21, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Steven's Canyon and the Baker Route (car/key swap) Meet Up (Members Only) 8
stretch Most Scenic Route to Traverse the Gros Ventre? Trip Planning 17
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
M 5 days Green > Elk Wind River route advice August 17th Trip Planning 9
Mikjik86 FULL Video Part 2 Backpacking Glacier National Park "North Circle Route" Backpacking 0
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park (Part 2 Preview) "North Circle Route" Montana, August 2019 Backpacking 2
Nick Dirty Devil Miner's Route Trip Planning 0
K Cycling The Divide Mountain Route Trip Planning 16
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park - North Circle Route Part 1 Preview Video. Backpacking 1
b.stark Wrangell-St Elias "Seven Pass Route" Backpacking 29
Devin Ashby The Lower Gulch - Escalante (Seeking info on the route) Trip Planning 14