2nd Solo - Trinity Alps Wilderness - Wildflower Madness!

Miya

Because I am able.
*All photos are sized for my Instagram account, so I apologize for the picture quality haha

Alright guys. Second solo trip! Woot woot!

I did NOT do the 27 miles I had planned. I think I did…about ~13 ☹ My excuse is that Monday I tore 3 tendons in my foot/ankle, but honestly, this was an intense trail and I probably would have struggled even if my gait was 100%.

To say I have been letting the world’s fears, reactions, and judgments affect my energy is an understatement. I always attempt to maintain my best self, but I have been struggling.

Determined to escape the world, I took a 2 hour nap after work and then drove the 4 hours to Trinity Alps Wilderness on Friday, July 3rd. I didn’t hit the trail till about 11:30, which is uncomfortably late for me.

This ended up being my hike one way.

Day1.png

Foot and ankle wrapped I ventured forth! I like to take a selfie when I still feel clean and have nice hair.

20200703_115248.jpg

Less than 100 feet on the trail, ‘Hello, Mr. Ranger Man!’

‘Hello, headed to Echo Lake?’

‘Yeah! So excited!’, I say as I bounce lightly up and down, weight on one foot.

‘I passed over 50 hikers this morning heading up that way’

I stop bouncing. So much for getting away from the world haha!

Blue and Green Views
DSC04846.jpg

DSC04854.jpg

I made slow progress with a lovely limp, while I did manage to pass 4 people on the way up, about a dozen more whizzed right past me.

Temperature was ranging around 87-89, but there was more shade than I anticipated! Woohoo!

Right before the peak? top...? at 4ish miles, I felt sore and ill. I hadn’t taken any breaks, eaten any food, drank less than half a liter of water, and hadn’t adjusted my pack. Also, the 2 hours sleep probably didn't help. I am very bad about taking breaks. I stopped just shy of the peak and demolished a bag of salt and vinegar chips and headed to the top. My foot was feeling pretty good. But then…the descent…

DSC04869.jpg

DSC04876.jpg

That 640ft drop seemed impossibly steep. Every step killed my foot and my arms from slamming my weight with my trekking poles. The plan was to make it to Echo Lake, a mere ~0.6 miles climb from where I ended up stopping. My foot was visibly swollen, and my legs were literally shaking. I felt a lot of pity for myself and pouted while I made camp and did my chores. Haha

‘How are you going to hike the PCT next year, Miya?! You can’t even do ~6ish miles. Pathetic.’

‘Oh, shut up, Miya. Just drink water, eat your food, have a fire, go to bed, you will love life tomorrow.’

Can't have hot vodka...
20200703_190022.jpg

20200703_203951.jpg

Camp

DSC04881.jpg

View in front of me

DSC05064.jpg

View behind me

DSC05080.jpg

Some macro around camp. I really love how @scatman has made me appreciate knowing the names of flowers in the backcountry. I only knew Phlox before this trip and was overjoyed when I saw some on the trail and knew what to call it!

Quill-leaf Lewisia
DSC04947.jpg

DSC04979.jpg

Sierra Stonecrop flowers come from these succulents, I saw quite a few of the, but I didn't like the flowers so didn't take photos haha.

DSC05011.jpg

Sure enough, with rest and the rising sun came renewal of self. Also, a reality check. I had a Plan B if I needed to be kinder to my foot, so Plan B came into effect. I wouldn’t stay 3 nights; I would stay 2. I wouldn’t attempt the loop, I would hang around camp, go to the lake and just enjoy myself.

DSC05135.jpg

More Quill-leaf
DSC05152.jpg

I made my way up to the lake about 9. There was about a dozen tents set up at Echo Lake and I passed about 10 people that had broken camp and passed me on my way in. It made me grateful for where I ended up. My camp site ended up being perfect. I had it all to myself and there was a large fire pit with lots of wood nearby! Also, water flowing nearby on both sides of my tent, and behind me.

Indian Paintbrush

DSC05197.jpg

DSC05189.jpg

I walked around the lake and waited about an hour for people to leave so I could snap a photo. There was about 6 tents set up right NEXT to the lake. Luckily, they weren’t there, so I just maneuvered all around their tents to get the shot I wanted. I think if you set up right on the water of a lake that overlooks a great view, you should expect people to still come and take photos around your campsite.

Alpine Shooting Stars

DSC05252.jpg

DSC05240.jpg

I just meandered around the area for the day and stayed close to camp. I soaked my foot and read. Basically, just enjoyed the day!

I think this is a Cascades Frog...but not sure.

DSC05375.jpg

Linum Perenne

DSC05273.jpg

I am not actually sure what this one is. I think some sort of Potentilla.

DSC05415.jpg

How are these flowers sparkly?! Some sort of Forget Me Not

DSC05289.jpg

Sorry, dirty fingernail, but sure you understand...

DSC05301.jpg

Yarrow. Probably my favorite picture :)

DSC05513.jpg

Naked Mariposa Lily

DSC05464.jpg

Another fire, played with one of my Studio Ghibli Figurines, and made up a Backcountry Cocktail.

DSC05586.jpg

20200704_174737.jpg

It was another fantastically restful night and I ended up on my way a little before 07:00 on Sunday, July 5th.

DSC05606.jpg

DSC05656.jpg

Another Ghibli movie character haha.

DSC05630.jpg

Saffron-Flowered Lupine

DSC05646.jpg

Talk about Blue Hour haha

DSC05675.jpg

DSC05742.jpg

Lots of flowers!

DSC05714.jpg

Last one guys! Thanks for sticking with me! Mountain Pennyroyal!

DSC05753.jpg

Last edited:
Great report @Miya, and good job on the solo effort! :thumbsup: I love all the flower pictures that you took. I'll comment more later, but I've got to get ready for a long hike tomorrow.

Awesome! I used to get disappointed when I didn’t live up to all the bad ass trip reports I read. Day 1 of this one comes to mind.

But over time I’ve figured out what I’m trying to do out there and what kind of trips work for me.

Nice report @Miya ! Your photos are awesome, really captured the beauty of your surroundings. Thanks for sharing!

Great report @Miya, and good job on the solo effort! :thumbsup: I love all the flower pictures that you took. I'll comment more later, but I've got to get ready for a long hike tomorrow.

Haha no worries! Enjoy yourself and get some rest!

Awesome! I used to get disappointed when I didn’t live up to all the bad ass trip reports I read. Day 1 of this one comes to mind.

But over time I’ve figured out what I’m trying to do out there and what kind of trips work for me.

Haha yup yup! Just getting a chance to rest up helps to put it all in perspective. I do have this tendency to just want go, go go, but I really need to force myself to take breaks!

Nice report @Miya ! Your photos are awesome, really captured the beauty of your surroundings. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you! Everything really was so gorgeous! I was want to try again when I am in better shape LOL. I need to get back into my regular routine of day hiking. :)

Wow! @Miya I’m totally impressed. You turned a disappointment into a great trip by adapting to the conditions, a mark of back country expertise! Awesome pictures as always. BTW are you really going to do the PCT next year?

Nice - great views and love the wildflowers!

Wow! @Miya I’m totally impressed. You turned a disappointment into a great trip by adapting to the conditions, a mark of back country expertise! Awesome pictures as always. BTW are you really going to do the PCT next year?

Woohoo! I am learning! Haha
Yes sir!
I have been obsessed with the idea shortly after my 1st day hike 4 years ago. I made up a lot of obstacles, fear and insecurities, and excuses, but in November 2019, I decided that I am doing it.
It doesn't seem like the PCTA are going to distribute permits for 2021, but they aren't actually required. I am prepared to pay fines, and get a lot of haters off trail. If I get forcibly removed and imprisoned, I might need to reconsider things haha

Yes sir!
I have been obsessed with the idea shortly after my 1st day hike 4 years ago. I made up a lot of obstacles, fear and insecurities, and excuses, but in November 2019, I decided that I am doing it.
It doesn't seem like the PCTA are going to distribute permits for 2021, but they aren't actually required. I am prepared to pay fines, and get a lot of haters off trail. If I get forcibly removed and imprisoned, I might need to reconsider things haha
That's awesome! I have to admit to being rather jealous. Go for it!

Yes sir!
Right on! WE on this forum will expect occasional TR's of your PCT experience, naturally! :)
*All photos are sized for my Instagram account, so I apologize for the picture quality haha

Alright guys. Second solo trip! Woot woot!

I did NOT do the 27 miles I had planned. I think I did…about ~13 ☹ My excuse is that Monday I tore 3 tendons in my foot/ankle, but honestly, this was an intense trail and I probably would have struggled even if my gait was 100%.

To say I have been letting the world’s fears, reactions, and judgments affect my energy is an understatement. I always attempt to maintain my best self, but I have been struggling.

Determined to escape the world, I took a 2 hour nap after work and then drove the 4 hours to Trinity Alps Wilderness on Friday, July 3rd. I didn’t hit the trail till about 11:30, which is uncomfortably late for me.

This ended up being my hike one way.

View attachment 90165

Foot and ankle wrapped I ventured forth! I like to take a selfie when I still feel clean and have nice hair.

View attachment 90129

Less than 100 feet on the trail, ‘Hello, Mr. Ranger Man!’

‘Hello, headed to Echo Lake?’

‘Yeah! So excited!’, I say as I bounce lightly up and down, weight on one foot.

‘I passed over 50 hikers this morning heading up that way’

I stop bouncing. So much for getting away from the world haha!

Blue and Green Views
View attachment 90134

View attachment 90135

I made slow progress with a lovely limp, while I did manage to pass 4 people on the way up, about a dozen more whizzed right past me.

Temperature was ranging around 87-89, but there was more shade than I anticipated! Woohoo!

Right before the peak? top...? at 4ish miles, I felt sore and ill. I hadn’t taken any breaks, eaten any food, drank less than half a liter of water, and hadn’t adjusted my pack. Also, the 2 hours sleep probably didn't help. I am very bad about taking breaks. I stopped just shy of the peak and demolished a bag of salt and vinegar chips and headed to the top. My foot was feeling pretty good. But then…the descent…

View attachment 90136

View attachment 90137

That 640ft drop seemed impossibly steep. Every step killed my foot and my arms from slamming my weight with my trekking poles. The plan was to make it to Echo Lake, a mere ~0.6 miles climb from where I ended up stopping. My foot was visibly swollen, and my legs were literally shaking. I felt a lot of pity for myself and pouted while I made camp and did my chores. Haha

‘How are you going to hike the PCT next year, Miya?! You can’t even do ~6ish miles. Pathetic.’

‘Oh, shut up, Miya. Just drink water, eat your food, have a fire, go to bed, you will love life tomorrow.’

Can't have hot vodka...
View attachment 90130

View attachment 90132

Camp

View attachment 90138

View in front of me

View attachment 90142

View behind me

View attachment 90166

Some macro around camp. I really love how @scatman has made me appreciate knowing the names of flowers in the backcountry. I only knew Phlox before this trip and was overjoyed when I saw some on the trail and knew what to call it!

Quill-leaf Lewisia
View attachment 90139

View attachment 90140

Sierra Stonecrop flowers come from these succulents, I saw quite a few of the, but I didn't like the flowers so didn't take photos haha.

View attachment 90141

Sure enough, with rest and the rising sun came renewal of self. Also, a reality check. I had a Plan B if I needed to be kinder to my foot, so Plan B came into effect. I wouldn’t stay 3 nights; I would stay 2. I wouldn’t attempt the loop, I would hang around camp, go to the lake and just enjoy myself.

View attachment 90143

More Quill-leaf
View attachment 90144

I made my way up to the lake about 9. There was about a dozen tents set up at Echo Lake and I passed about 10 people that had broken camp and passed me on my way in. It made me grateful for where I ended up. My camp site ended up being perfect. I had it all to myself and there was a large fire pit with lots of wood nearby! Also, water flowing nearby on both sides of my tent, and behind me.

Indian Paintbrush

View attachment 90146

View attachment 90145

I walked around the lake and waited about an hour for people to leave so I could snap a photo. There was about 6 tents set up right NEXT to the lake. Luckily, they weren’t there, so I just maneuvered all around their tents to get the shot I wanted. I think if you set up right on the water of a lake that overlooks a great view, you should expect people to still come and take photos around your campsite.

Alpine Shooting Stars

View attachment 90148

View attachment 90147

I just meandered around the area for the day and stayed close to camp. I soaked my foot and read. Basically, just enjoyed the day!

I think this is a Cascades Frog...but not sure.

View attachment 90152

Linum Perenne

View attachment 90149

I am not actually sure what this one is. I think some sort of Potentilla.

View attachment 90153

How are these flowers sparkly?! Some sort of Forget Me Not

View attachment 90150

Sorry, dirty fingernail, but sure you understand...

View attachment 90151

Yarrow. Probably my favorite picture :)

View attachment 90155

Naked Mariposa Lily

View attachment 90154

Another fire, played with one of my Studio Ghibli Figurines, and made up a Backcountry Cocktail.

View attachment 90156

View attachment 90133

It was another fantastically restful night and I ended up on my way a little before 07:00 on Sunday, July 5th.

View attachment 90157

View attachment 90160

Another Ghibli movie character haha.

View attachment 90158

Saffron-Flowered Lupine

View attachment 90159

Talk about Blue Hour haha

View attachment 90161

View attachment 90163

Lots of flowers!

View attachment 90162

Last one guys! Thanks for sticking with me! Mountain Pennyroyal!

View attachment 90164
Dang..you have a nice camera and a good eye - the Ghibli figures gave me a laugh haha! Way to get out there even with injuries and personal fears! Your post helped me feel better: I'm heading out on a solo UHT through hike next week (with a healing back injury..) - a little freaked out, but looking forward to it too!

Right on! WE on this forum will expect occasional TR's of your PCT experience, naturally! :)

Dang..you have a nice camera and a good eye - the Ghibli figures gave me a laugh haha! Way to get out there even with injuries and personal fears! Your post helped me feel better: I'm heading out on a solo UHT through hike next week (with a healing back injury..) - a little freaked out, but looking forward to it too!

Haha you guys might have to suffice with the occasional selfie when I take a zero! Jk jk. I am looking into finding an adapter so I can upload photos onto my phone and share as I go. :)

Yeah, really happy with the Sony A6600. I am still struggling with my macro lens, it is my first time doing manual focus, but I will keep practicing!!
Haha idk why my TR made you feel better, I didnt even do half of my planned miles LOL How long is the hike?! Maybe bring like an extra air pillow or things to keep your back more comfy?

Wow, all those wildflower photos, so many beautiful details @Miya . All of Plan B sounds awesome. I got to get an "emergency drinking water" flask too. ;)
So.... how is your foot doing now and how did the decent go the last day?

Awwwsum!
Ha! You're so cute. I thought the "wildflower madness" was your shirt before scrolling down:lol:
Great pics. Hope those tendons heal quick!

Haha you guys might have to suffice with the occasional selfie when I take a zero! Jk jk. I am looking into finding an adapter so I can upload photos onto my phone and share as I go. :)

Yeah, really happy with the Sony A6600. I am still struggling with my macro lens, it is my first time doing manual focus, but I will keep practicing!!
Haha idk why my TR made you feel better, I didnt even do half of my planned miles LOL How long is the hike?! Maybe bring like an extra air pillow or things to keep your back more comfy?
Maybe one day I'll invest in a nicer camera than my smartphone, lol..

The hike is 80 + miles and 16,000 to 18,000 elevation gain (depending on how much off trail, "high route" I venture on), all at an elevation of over 10,000". Will for sure take an extra air pillow. :thumbsup: