2nd Solo - Trinity Alps Wilderness - Wildflower Madness!

Wow, all those wildflower photos, so many beautiful details @Miya . All of Plan B sounds awesome. I got to get an "emergency drinking water" flask too. ;)
So.... how is your foot doing now and how did the decent go the last day?
Thank you!
It is still pretty darn sore. I keep it wrapped and iced. It definitely isn't as flexible, but I have torn tendons in my other foot before, I just gotta wait it out.
The descent was...better because it was drawn out over 4 miles. I did a lot of sideways walking and took more breaks! My wrap had gotten pretty gross and so I trashed it and just made sure to tighten my laces for a little more support. I had worn sandals on the way in, so that probably didn't help haha.

Haha thanks @OwenM, I am aim for cute! My 'shirt' is actually a hiking dress! I have only used it a few times, but I am really digging it!

@Born to Hike - I used to take all my photos on an older DSLR, this is my first upgrade. :) I think if you like photography, it is worth it, but I know a lot of photographers who just use their phone. Your photos are very beautiful on your phone! I didn't even know haha Wow, that hike sounds epic! Can't wait to see the report!

Great photos and a fun read (especially the "when I still feel clean and have nice hair" part)! :)

Best of luck for your PCT endeavor.

Great pictures and TR. Sometimes unexpected campsites (or staying longer at one you hadn't planned to) are better than what you'd planned! Happened to us recently.

Thanks @Stephanie B ! Yeah, it should be okay. I took on a second job on Sunday's to make sure I save enough. $$$ is definitely not going to be a reason that I get off trail.

Thanks @Reef&Ruins , yeah it really worked out just fiiiine. It is always nice just to be out there!

Haha thank you @Yvonne. I know you would have crushed this hike in one day! Some people do do it as a day hike ;)

Thanks @Stephanie B ! Yeah, it should be okay. I took on a second job on Sunday's to make sure I save enough. $$$ is definitely not going to be a reason that I get off trail.

Thanks @Reef&Ruins , yeah it really worked out just fiiiine. It is always nice just to be out there!

Haha thank you @Yvonne. I know you would have crushed this hike in one day! Some people do do it as a day hike ;)

Probably Miya
I already feel weird that I have so many hikes in Yellowstone planned as day hikes that most people would do as backpacking trips, lol.

Probably Miya
I already feel weird that I have so many hikes in Yellowstone planned as day hikes that most people would do as backpacking trips, lol.
Haha yeah, you a bada**!!

Alright, I'm back. Not rested, but back. First off, what did you do to your ankle to begin with? Secondly, did the vodka relieve the ankle pain? And thirdly, you are putting my wildflower pictures to shame! :) I clearly need an upgrade to my camera or perhaps a better lens, or god forbid it could be the photographer. :D

I see someone else commented on your Studio Ghibli Figurines. They're great too. I loved the movie Spirited Away.

And your shades are Groovy! Yes, I'm watching old episodes of the Mod Squad - Groovy, Solid and Heavy. Why aren't these words used anymore? Maybe I should incorporate them into future trip reports? Elton John would be proud of your shades.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Woohoo! I am learning! Haha
Yes sir!
I have been obsessed with the idea shortly after my 1st day hike 4 years ago. I made up a lot of obstacles, fear and insecurities, and excuses, but in November 2019, I decided that I am doing it.
It doesn't seem like the PCTA are going to distribute permits for 2021, but they aren't actually required. I am prepared to pay fines, and get a lot of haters off trail. If I get forcibly removed and imprisoned, I might need to reconsider things haha
Just out of curiosity, where did you hear that PCTA permits won't be available for 2021?

Also, I cancelled my PCT hike this year due to the 'rona. Please please please don't poach the PCT - as a long-distance hiker, you're (for better or worse) part of a community, and flouting the rules hurts everybody in the community. But honestly if we are not in good enough virus shape by next year to get PCT permits issued again, we have much bigger socieltal problems to deal with than cancelled hikes.

Just out of curiosity, where did you hear that PCTA permits won't be available for 2021?

Also, I cancelled my PCT hike this year due to the 'rona. Please please please don't poach the PCT - as a long-distance hiker, you're (for better or worse) part of a community, and flouting the rules hurts everybody in the community. But honestly if we are not in good enough virus shape by next year to get PCT permits issued again, we have much bigger socieltal problems to deal with than cancelled hikes.

No, no where, I just haven't seen any thing from them about it and I thought I remember them announcing the permit day before this time last year. But I know they are getting a lot of heat from the hiking community, so I am sure they are just having to worry about different things this year and having to wait it out like everyone else! LOL
I don't want to get into a debate about my varied view points on this situation. I understand it is not the majority view. I will continue to monitor the data and pay attention to what the PCTA has to say.

Alright, I'm back. Not rested, but back. First off, what did you do to your ankle to begin with? Secondly, did the vodka relieve the ankle pain? And thirdly, you are putting my wildflower pictures to shame! :) I clearly need an upgrade to my camera or perhaps a better lens, or god forbid it could be the photographer. :D

I see someone else commented on your Studio Ghibli Figurines. They're great too. I loved the movie Spirited Away.

And your shades are Groovy! Yes, I'm watching old episodes of the Mod Squad - Groovy, Solid and Heavy. Why aren't these words used anymore? Maybe I should incorporate them into future trip reports? Elton John would be proud of your shades.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My 2018 Subaru Crosstrek broke down on the side of the road (overheated, faulty radiator installation). When I went to pick up a rental car the next day, I stepped into a deep hole. There was a lovely popping sound and I crumbled haha

Hey, I took like 900 photos and only saved ~70. Probably more trial and error over anything!! Haha

Yeah I have been growing my collection. I just love having a little Ghibli toy with me! They are ultralight haha.

We can bring "groovy" back. I will start saying it in CA!

I have fond memories of the Trinity Alps from the PCT. An area I'd love to explore more of!

Right, but breaking the rules is breaking the rules, and you will almost certainly be caught and fined in the Sierra, and you will endanger the very, very fragile and under-fire permit process that every single other PCT hiker uses to make their hike logistically possible.

You are entitled to own any opinion you want about covid, the PCTA, PCT permitting process, or any other topic. But when it comes to your actions, you play by the rules. And anyone who refuses to do that, I really don't want a part of the otherwise-wonderful community we call long distance hiking.

I realize this is a mostly theoretical conversation for now and hopefully it'll stay that way. But the poachers also tend to be the ones who, out of the same sense of entitlement and "rules-don't-apply-to-me", tip poorly, sneak extra people into their hotel rooms, soak their feet in the water source, and generally make life harder for both thru hikers and the small towns they pass through. So please please please treat the trail, the towns, the land, and the land managers with respect - and get a permit.

Right, but breaking the rules is breaking the rules, and you will almost certainly be caught and fined in the Sierra, and you will endanger the very, very fragile and under-fire permit process that every single other PCT hiker uses to make their hike logistically possible.

You are entitled to own any opinion you want about covid, the PCTA, PCT permitting process, or any other topic. But when it comes to your actions, you play by the rules. And anyone who refuses to do that, I really don't want a part of the otherwise-wonderful community we call long distance hiking.

I realize this is a mostly theoretical conversation for now and hopefully it'll stay that way. But the poachers also tend to be the ones who, out of the same sense of entitlement and "rules-don't-apply-to-me", tip poorly, sneak extra people into their hotel rooms, soak their feet in the water source, and generally make life harder for both thru hikers and the small towns they pass through. So please please please treat the trail, the towns, the land, and the land managers with respect - and get a permit.
Lol I am definitely not a "rules don't apply to me person". I am actually uptight about it and people try to get me to relax haha. I even follow these COVID rules that I don't agree with.
I understand what you are saying and have heard and thought of all the same points many times.
I am sure you know a permit is not required to hike the PCT. I would monitor and continue to follow the state and federal laws, which might mean jumping around or having to skip closed areas and come back when they open. It might mean using a two car leap frog system, etc etc. Most locations in CA are open and have remained open for backpacking this ENTIRE time. In CA outdoor activity has remained essential.
Again, I will continue to monitor everything and stay informed.

Lol I am definitely not a "rules don't apply to me person". I am actually uptight about it and people try to get me to relax haha. I even follow these COVID rules that I don't agree with.
I understand what you are saying and have heard and thought of all the same points many times.
I am sure you know a permit is not required to hike the PCT. I would monitor and continue to follow the state and federal laws, which might mean jumping around or having to skip closed areas and come back when they open. It might mean using a two car leap frog system, etc etc. Most locations in CA are open and have remained open for backpacking this ENTIRE time. In CA outdoor activity has remained essential.
Again, I will continue to monitor everything and stay informed.
Sounds like a great plan to me! Sierra permits for the PCT/JMT corridor are pretty tough to get unless you've got the PCTA permit so you could potentially have to skip some sections, but as long as you stay legal, more power to you. :)

I am sure you know a permit is not required to hike the PCT.

Well, a permit from the PCTA is not required but various permits are required to legally complete a thru-hike of the PCT. The PCTA permit just saves you having to apply for all the different ones individually.

Well, a permit from the PCTA is not required but various permits are required to legally complete a thru-hike of the PCT. The PCTA permit just saves you having to apply for all the different ones individually.

Yup! I am aware. I actually had that in there, but must have accidentally deleted it! I kept editing everything to make sure I didn't sound confrontational! Haha
Yeah, I know Yosemite is a rough area for permits, so it would be a struggle. Ideally, I can get a permit and I wouldn't want to have to skip around. I know they aren't doing the first come first serve permits right now, so that plan is out the window.
Basically, I have a Plan A, B, C, D etc haha