2015 Mountain Backpacking - Disappointment and Opportunity

Thanks for that link langutah. Guess I haven't been paying too much attention to snowpack here (a bit north of Bozeman) because it appeared to be very close to normal if not above normal. That said, I could count the number of times it rained in the December-March period at our place on one hand up through the 80's and now it happens at least once a month. Temp wise, this winter appears to be the coldest we've had in a least a decade but the temp range spread also seems way higher than normal.

Don't think I will be getting much high country time in before the 4th.

After reading this thread, I was curious. Looked up the Snotel sites in the Bridgers and Tobacco Roots and all are above normal for water content. Snow depths from 3 to 6'. We pass very close to the Lower Twin site in the Roots when we visit N Meadow and it really does help to determine if skis are in the gear and give a pretty good measure as to just how far the Jeep will be going.

Looked up the Snotel sites in the Bridgers and Tobacco Roots ....
That reminds me. Heads up John and everyone else, the NRCS recently released a wonderful new version of their snotel site. It IS a thing of beauty. And it consolidates precip., streamflow, etc. Recommended.
The site.

I donno-just went for the usual hike behind the house. 47 in the shade, 60 in the sun, shirt sleeves and still sweating my butt off. The packed snow trail is like hiking on a thin rope. Guess my concern about winter kill is much abated and if this lasts for an extended time, we will be in the woods early here also.

And probably out early too. What a difference a week makes.

Phillips Bench Snotel [Tetons] is right at normal for snow water-equivalent. As warm as it has been tere's still a good amount of water on the ground around here.

That said it is indeed drier than Hades through much of the West. El Nino is kicking in Southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico and NOAA thinks it will be in March, April, and May too:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=2

Unless it's a repeat of the Santa Clara washout...

Must have been an on going topic as well for the Anasazi. Didn't work out so well for them.

Dry and warn in Ogden....my grass is turning green. :cry:

Reactions: Ben
great I'll check the weather down south. Maybe time for a weekend trip...

Getting pretty crazy down here in the Salt Lake Valley. My grass is growing, tulips are at least 4-5" out of the ground and scariest of all - my big maple that had nothing more than buds in early April 2013 is budding now... yikes. Only 47" up at the Trial Lake snotel. Uintas backpacking in late March or April at this rate???

same in boise. temps keep getting in the 60s, the flowers are coming up here.

Just crazy.

I've been getting bids to get my roof replaced this week and when I ask the guys about off-season discount pricing, they laugh and point at the sky. I guess business is good this 'winter'.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Spirit Mountain Wilderness (Lake Mead NRA) Backpack Nov 17-21, 2015 Backpacking 0
L Mary Mountain Trail Hike, Yellowstone NP- September 5, 2015 Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Blake Merrell BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 3 - Mountain Biking the laSal's Everything Else 8
Dave Kokopelli Nirvana (2015) Gear 5
LarryBoy In Which I Forget Sunscreen (Uintas 2015) Backpacking 11
Dave Winters Wind Rivers 2015 Backpacking 5
muir_mountain Undiscovered Wonder: Summer 2015 Backpacking 17
muir_mountain Austin Peak Overnight: July 2015 Backpacking 8
Bryan Harwood Cloud Peak Wilderness: USFS Trail Clearing Hitch Sept.2015 Backpacking 2
Bryan Harwood Porcupine Trail Crew: A Season on the Bighorn NF 2015 Everything Else 7
Bryan Harwood Absaroka- Beartooth Wilderness: 6 Trips July-Sep. 2015 Backpacking 12
AKay09 Glacier NP: June 2015 Backpacking 26
Devin Ashby Paris River Canyon - Buckskin Gulch March 2015 Backpacking 2
Chuck the Mauler 7 Day Glacier Trip 2015 Backpacking 2
Jon Carbaugh Yellowstone, Lamar River - August 2015 Backpacking 12
Dave Hell Hole Lake, August 2015 Backpacking 6
Dave Yellowstone and Teton, July 2015 Hiking & Camping 7
blueeyes Dunanda Falls October 2015 Backpacking 8
blueeyes Island Park, ID to Elk Lake Lodge, MT Bikepacking Trip July 14-15 2015 Everything Else 12
TClark Grandaddy Basin Uintas August 2015 Backpacking 14
Dave Kicking it in Kauai, December 2015 Backpacking 14
uintahiker Requiem for 2015. So long old buddy. General Discussion 2
Nick NYE 2015 General Discussion 13
wfinley Meander Canyon - Oct 2015 On The Water 10
Joey A short highlight video from 2015 General Discussion 22
BJett Hikesgiving 2015 in the Red River Gorge Backpacking 10
Nick Album Your favorite shots from 2015 Photography 126
Dave Havasupai, June 9-13 2015 Backpacking 14
uintafly 2015/2016 All things snow thread General Discussion 50
Udink San Rafael Fall 2015 Hiking & Camping 4
Nick Death Valley Flooding 10-2015 General Discussion 1
hikerboy benton mackaye trail thru hike april 2015 Backpacking 7
seekinglost High Uintas Wildernes - 8 Day Solo Hike August 2015 Backpacking 10
scatman The Pfeifferhorn - October 11, 2015 Hiking & Camping 11
slc_dan Waterpocket Walking June 2015 Backpacking 17
isleroyaleguy Teton Crest trail. ...Doug and Anita Tour 2015...final chapter! Backpacking 6
isleroyaleguy Teton Crest trail. ..Doug and Anita Tour 2015...part 2 Backpacking 4
isleroyaleguy Tetons Indeed! ... Doug and Anita tour 2015 Part 1 Backpacking 5
Vegan.Hiker Grand Teton National Park, September, 2015 Backpacking 25
scatman The Gros Ventre Wilderness - August 31, 2015 Backpacking 33
Artemus Album Autumn Colors 2015 Photography 56
Ounce Desolation Canyon 2015 On The Water 8
Tim Valentine Glacier National Park August 2015 Part1 Backpacking 13
stephjas1 Ibantik Lake Uintah's August 3-5 2015 Backpacking 4
Illuminations2k Uintas - Twin Lakes and the Notch - July 27-28, 2015 Backpacking 3
Dave Upper Muley Twist, May 23-25 2015 Backpacking 14
Tres Westbrook Green River Canoe Trip - Mineral Bottom to Spanish Bottom May 24-29, 2015 (Part 1 - Days 1 and 2) On The Water 5
pstm13 Teton Crest Trail July 13th-17th 2015 Backpacking 21
lostlandscapes Big Boulder Lakes, White Clouds -- July 3-5, 2015 Backpacking 12
Blake Merrell High Adventure 2015 - Day 1 - Canyoneering Double Arch Canyon Canyoneering 2