Yellowstone Mirror Plateau Trip Plan/Advice

magilligansisland

Hello. I'm Ashleigh, new to the site, but have been backpacking for the last 7 years. I live in NW Montana near Glacier, have done several trips in Glacier (Belly River, Hole in The Wall) and Canada (Rockwall Trail) as well as the Wind River Range. I have done one trip in Yellowstone (Sky Rim) a few years ago and this year we got lucky and landed a lottery spot. We signed up for our trip this week and heard back from the Backcountry Office about our requests for the Mirror Plateau yesterday. I would not have even known how to go about planning this trip or asking for the 'secret sites' without all of the helpful posts (@scatman , @BobFink ) as well as others. Looking forward to our trip as it will be to celebrate my big 4-0. We figured 40+ miles for 40 years was a good plan ...

Our itinerary is only over 4 nights and 5 days which may be ambitious - 3L7, 3T2, 5P7 and 3O1 ... I don't know how we landed the last two sites but it feels surreal. We're also going opposite direction from most of the trip reports I could find, so hopefully that isn't a terrible idea, it was just what was available. I had a few questions I was hoping someone with more experience could answer. Thank you in advance for any tips/help!

- Has anyone tracked their route on Strava? We have a Garmin and would likely be using that, unless there is another navigation source you think is better for the less marked trail travel?
- We are scheduled to be there August 1-5, I know we cross a few creeks and rivers but wondering if there are any sites we may not have close access to water so we can carry in enough for the night?
- I have been able to figure out estimated mileage from some posts, but wondered if anyone had an estimated range for the trip from 5P7 to 3O1 and 3O1 out if we are following the Opal Creek drainage?

Any other general tips/advice are also appreciated. I am really stoked for this trip and have already made a list of other future trips based on the discussions and posts, so thank you for the inspiration!

Ashleigh

Hello. I'm Ashleigh, new to the site, but have been backpacking for the last 7 years. I live in NW Montana near Glacier, have done several trips in Glacier (Belly River, Hole in The Wall) and Canada (Rockwall Trail) as well as the Wind River Range. I have done one trip in Yellowstone (Sky Rim) a few years ago and this year we got lucky and landed a lottery spot. We signed up for our trip this week and heard back from the Backcountry Office about our requests for the Mirror Plateau yesterday. I would not have even known how to go about planning this trip or asking for the 'secret sites' without all of the helpful posts (@scatman , @BobFink ) as well as others. Looking forward to our trip as it will be to celebrate my big 4-0. We figured 40+ miles for 40 years was a good plan ...

Our itinerary is only over 4 nights and 5 days which may be ambitious - 3L7, 3T2, 5P7 and 3O1 ... I don't know how we landed the last two sites but it feels surreal. We're also going opposite direction from most of the trip reports I could find, so hopefully that isn't a terrible idea, it was just what was available. I had a few questions I was hoping someone with more experience could answer. Thank you in advance for any tips/help!

- Has anyone tracked their route on Strava? We have a Garmin and would likely be using that, unless there is another navigation source you think is better for the less marked trail travel?
- We are scheduled to be there August 1-5, I know we cross a few creeks and rivers but wondering if there are any sites we may not have close access to water so we can carry in enough for the night?
- I have been able to figure out estimated mileage from some posts, but wondered if anyone had an estimated range for the trip from 5P7 to 3O1 and 3O1 out if we are following the Opal Creek drainage?

Any other general tips/advice are also appreciated. I am really stoked for this trip and have already made a list of other future trips based on the discussions and posts, so thank you for the inspiration!

Ashleigh

Hi Ashleigh,

I can't answer your first question, though you can expect some off-official-trail travel between 5P7 and 3O1. There is an unofficial trail that leads to 5P7 in the direction you are heading if you can pick it up. Here is a map of some GPS points I recorded while hiking along it.

The brown dots are on the trail. You can pick up the trail just northeast of the Fern Lake Patrol Cabin. Once on it, you should be fine.
01.jpg

There is also an old trail heading down Opal Creek. You can pick it up on Google Earth. I have never hiked on this trail though.

All of your sites have a nearby water source, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've got the section between 5P7 and 3O1 at about 10.5 miles. Of course your mileage will vary depending on your route.

Excited for you on this one. Hopefully you'll post a trip report of your adventure. :thumbsup:

Oh WOW! This is so helpful. Thank you so much! I am beyond excited. I will definitely post a report of this adventure and some photos once we are back. Thanks for inspiring the trip!

So...youre going to, in order, 3L7, 3T2, 5P7, 3O1 using the Lamar TH ?

Lamar TH to Miller Creek is 9.1M, I have not been up the Lamar past here. 3L7 is another 1.5M.... total is 10.6M on trail. From 3L7 to the Junction of Mist Crk and the Lamar is 6.3M. From that junction (Camp 3F1, Ive stayed at, and gone to 3T3, then over Mist Pass) Its another 5.8M to 3T2, so a total 12.1M on trail. 3T2 to trail junction by Pelican Cabin is 4.4M. I have not been up this trail to 5P7 but i get about a total 12.2M on trail. After you turn off the main trail to go to 5P7, it is a use trail. I get about 9.2M from 5P7 to 3O1, a use trail thru burnt and unburned timber patches, so you will wander a lot. From 3O1 to the Lamar TH is about 8.5M on trail.

So...youre going to, in order, 3L7, 3T2, 5P7, 3O1 using the Lamar TH ?

Lamar TH to Miller Creek is 9.1M, I have not been up the Lamar past here. 3L7 is another 1.5M.... total is 10.6M on trail. From 3L7 to the Junction of Mist Crk and the Lamar is 6.3M. From that junction (Camp 3F1, Ive stayed at, and gone to 3T3, then over Mist Pass) Its another 5.8M to 3T2, so a total 12.1M on trail. 3T2 to trail junction by Pelican Cabin is 4.4M. I have not been up this trail to 5P7 but i get about a total 12.2M on trail. After you turn off the main trail to go to 5P7, it is a use trail. I get about 9.2M from 5P7 to 3O1, a use trail thru burnt and unburned timber patches, so you will wander a lot. From 3O1 to the Lamar TH is about 8.5M on trail.

Looks like you forgot the Scatman coefficient for the distance between 5P7 to 3O1, which would put it at about 10.5 miles. Hehehe. :D

Yep... The scatman shuffle off trail and deadfall

Thank you for all of the input! Yes our order is Lamar TH to 3L7, 3L7 to 3T2, 3T2 to 5P7, 5P7 to 3O1 and then 3O1 out ... I wish we had more time, because some of the side trips y'all took looked really great. Maybe another year?! Will definitely factor in the Scatman coefficient as I tend to veer when I'm looking at magical things. :)