The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023

scatman

It was time for my annual September trip into Yellowstone. This years destination was campsite WB1, located on the Gallatin River in the northwest quadrant of the Park. As in the past, on this trip we would set up a base camp at WB1, with one day hike to Big Horn Pass, and a second day hike to Fawn Pass.

Day 1

Seven of us gathered in West Yellowstone in the early afternoon at the Visitors' Center Backcountry Office to pick up our official permit. The gentleman staffing the office and getting us our permit remembered us from last year's off-trail route to Joseph's Coat Springs.

01.jpg
@TractorDoc up to his usual trip planning changes no doubt. :)

After getting the permit (we didn't have to watch the safety film), we headed over to Ernie's for some lunch. After eating we headed out for the Bighorn Pass Trailhead. Two of our group decided that they needed to run to a nearby grocery store to get some tea for the backcountry. I asked if they wanted me to wait for them, or did they just want to meet us at the trailhead. They agreed to meet us at the trailhead. This is when I told them that the trailhead was located 20 miles north of West Yellowstone on the right hand side of Highway 191. They said, "OK" and left for the grocery store while the rest of us headed north to the trailhead.

Everyone was able to find the trailhead, located right after the 20 mile marker on 191, except the two jokers that had to go get tea.

We waited for about thirty minutes and decided that they must be lost. @TractorDoc, Brent and myself hoped in the Subaru and headed back towards West Yellowstone to see if we could get some cell reception and contact them, if they were still in town. We'll we couldn't contact them, and after driving most of the way back to West Yellowstone, we turned around and headed back to the trailhead. When we arrived, Cody told us the others had showed up about five minutes after we left to search for them. Turns out they had driven further north towards Black Butte Ranch before realizing that they must have missed the trailhead. 20 miles north of West Yellowstone! They wouldn't live this down for the rest of the trip.

01b.jpg
Heading to Ernie's. The two in the middle were the ones who got lost.

02.jpg
The sign for the Bighorn Pass Trailhead with Highway 191 off to the left

It was about 4.4 miles into campsite WB1 from the trailhead, and Danny and Mark (The Lost Ones) took off for camp before we returned from looking for them. So the rest of us got our gear ready and started off on our way.

Gallatin_River_Trip_09_07_23.jpg
Overview map of entire trip

02b.jpg
Ready to head to WB1

03.jpg
Mileage sign near trailhead

04.jpg
Horseshoe bend in the Gallatin River

04b.jpg
@TractorDoc happy to have a footbridge across the Gallatin

05.jpg
The Gallatin River

06.jpg
Waiting for the Scatman

07.jpg
The Bighorn Pass Trail

08.jpg
Entering the Gallatin River Meadows. I thought the meadows were beautiful.

09.jpg
Back on the Gallatin

10.jpg
Arriving at our campsite. It looks like I need to rotate my lens hood. :)

We arrived at camp around six in the evening, a little later than I would have liked, and we set up our tents and got ready for dinner. I thought WB1 was and excellent campsite with nice views up and down the river, and a nice water source (the river).

10b.jpg
10c.jpg
10d.jpg
10e.jpg
12.jpg
12b.jpg
Our tents

13.jpg
20 miles! :D looks like this guy could use a Cold Smoke, or maybe some toilet paper.

14.jpg
Must have been a Cold Smoke.

14a.jpg
@TractorDoc enjoying some ice cream

14b.jpg
Don't look for too long for it will burn your retinas. o_O

15.jpg
Each evening, clouds would buildup and we would get some rain.

Day 2

Today's day hike would be to Bighorn Pass which was about 14 miles away from WB1. I felt a bit sluggish on day two and quickly fell behind the rest of the group on the way to the pass. Dave and Cody broke off and went to check out a waterfall to the north of the trail. The rest of us would get a peek at it on our way back down. We soon crossed the Gallatin Bear Management Boundary, which meant no off-trail travel while in the BMA. After taking a break, the real climbing to the pass began. I fell behind rather quickly again, but the views were wonderful. At the pass, we took a break and had some lunch and enjoyed the views.

16.jpg
Time for breakfast on day two

17.jpg
Gallatin River east of WB1

18.jpg
19.jpg
We passed other campsites along the way

20.jpg
Looking back the way we had come

21.jpg
Some Harebells still in bloom

22.jpg
Tributary of the Gallatin

23.jpg
Another campsite post, this one for WB6

24.jpg
First sign of bear

26b.jpg
Bull elk up on the hill at the top of the center clearing

27.jpg
View to the north of the trail

28.jpg
View back down the Gallatin River drainage

29.jpg
Thistle was plentiful in this area

30.jpg
View to the east, climbing to the pass. Looking at the west side of unnamed peak 10,163.

31.jpg
Nearing the pass

32.jpg
Another look back down the Gallatin River drainage

33.jpg
At the pass.

34.jpg
Time for lunch

35.jpg
Great view off the east side of the pass. Way in the distance is Bunsen Peak

36.jpg
Quadrant Mountain

37.jpg
Bannock Peak

38.jpg
Pink at the Pass! :D

42.jpg
Group shot

43.jpg
Getting the perfect angle, on our way back to camp

44.jpg
Camp is around the bend

45.jpg
46.jpg
47.jpg
48.jpg
Wildflowers

49.jpg
Bringing up the rear once again. :) Heading down to see some falls.

50.jpg
Mushrooms

51.jpg
Coyote track

52.jpg
Heading towards Stone Hollow Falls

54.jpg53.jpg
Stone Hollow Falls - an extremely slippery approach to these falls, so watch your step.

55.jpg
Back at camp and dinner time before it rains

56.jpg
My dinner.

57.jpg
Well deserved today.

58.jpg
Dave had the same idea for dinner

59.jpg
View to the east from my tent on the evening of day 2

Day 3

After day two, I thought day three would be a slog for me, but I woke up feeling good and ready for the hike up to Fawn Pass. While a shorter hike than the previous day's, the climbing on this one would begin right off the bat as opposed to at the end on Big Horn.

60.jpg
First hill ahead

61.jpg
The Fawn Pass Cutoff Trail

62.jpg
Heading up the hill on the Fawn Pass Cutoff Trail

63.jpg
Gaining some elevation

64.jpg
At the junction with the Fawn Pass Trail

65.jpg
View towards the Lee Metcalf Wilderness

66.jpg
View to the south

67.jpg
Looking up the Gallatin River below. Where we had hiked the previous day.

68.jpg
A hawk above us

69.jpg
Fireweed

70.jpg
Bear track. There were not as many on the Fawn Pass Trail as there had been on the
Bighorn Pass Trail the day before.

71.jpg
Looking back down towards camp

72.jpg
Blue stain fungi caused the ring you see on the sewn log

73.jpg
Unnamed Peak 9676

74.jpg
Looking over at Crowfoot Ridge

75.jpg
Made it to Fawn Pass which is lower than Bighorn Pass

76.jpg
Grey Peak

77.jpg
Not as harsh on the eyes on this pass. :D

79.jpg
Group shot at the pass

80.jpg
Ghost forest and cone flowers on our way back down

81.jpg
WB1 is down there somewhere

82.jpg
Back at camp and enjoying a piece of the Tony Chocolonely bar after completing Fawn Pass. Everyone had a piece to celebrate two
successful day hikes

83.jpg
Now Dave and Cody had to leave one day early because they had reservations at Old Faithful, and had some hiking planned for the
Tetons, so we took a group shot of all seven of us before they hiked back out to the trailhead.

84.jpg
And off they went.

86.jpg
More clouds moved in which meant more rain that evening

Day 4

Day four was nothing more than eating breakfast, pack up, heading back to the trailhead, and getting lunch in West Yellowstone to celebrate our trip.

87.jpg
Hiking out through the Gallatin River Meadows

88.jpg
You've seen this one before, but it is worth seeing again. Scatman down! :D

89.jpg
Big Horn Pass Trail

90.jpg
Back on the Gallatin

91.jpg
Horse and a mule + cowboy and cowgirl. Ah .... it's so romantic! :heart_eyes:

92.jpg
Unloading some horses at the trailhead upon our return

93.jpg
Trailhead info sign

94.jpg
Best part of the sign. :)

93b.jpg
The Sube survived! :thumbsup:

95.jpg
Danny arrives back at the trailhead. 20 miles mister! :)

96.jpg
Drove back down to West Yellowstone for some food and a beer, and the Slippery Otter Pub was not open. :mad: :frantic:

97.jpg
So it was off to The Buffalo Bar instead

98.jpg
And remember not to do this.

99.jpg
I liked the picture on the menu

100.jpg
Hog trough Nachos as usual. Could use some Carolina Reapers don't you think? :hot:

101.jpg
The only moose we saw on our trip was right above me. :)

This trip was a lot of fun, with a great campsite and two highly recommended day hikes, along with some excellent company to pass the time with. Already looking forward to next September's trip. :thumbsup:

The End.

Pretty sure I've had that guy do my permits in the backcountry office a few times as well. Is it the one from Arizona? He was much more chill this year than he was the year before haha.

Very cool loop! I've looked into routes in the area but always kind of stop looking because of how the sites are pretty sparse in the Fawn Pass/Fan Creek area and it just not being conducive to the routes I want to try/groups I want to go with. Looks like I just need to suck it up and go for it. Love that area of the park but have only spent time there xc skiing in the winter.

Really like that part of the park. Bummed that you didn't take me with you this time. I always thought it was interesting that the Gallatins are a truncated mountain range since the supervolcano destroyed the southern end during a mega eruption.

You should post that bog picture every chance you get. It has an inexplicable mesmerizing feel to it. I can almost hear the buzzing of the insects, your compadres talking, and you saying "Scatman down!" while everybody ignores you.

Thanks for letting Cody and I tag along on this one Hugh.

This was a wonderful group of days and a place in the park I'd like to return to someday.

You did not mention it, but it sure was windy on Bighorn Pass.

Nice picture of that hawk!

My Scatty senses were tingling on day four as I was watching Riverside Geyser. . . that must have been when you went down. :)

I'll be sure to post my version of events, once I get thru the Teton Wilderness of course.

Pretty sure I've had that guy do my permits in the backcountry office a few times as well. Is it the one from Arizona? He was much more chill this year than he was the year before haha.

Very cool loop! I've looked into routes in the area but always kind of stop looking because of how the sites are pretty sparse in the Fawn Pass/Fan Creek area and it just not being conducive to the routes I want to try/groups I want to go with. Looks like I just need to suck it up and go for it. Love that area of the park but have only spent time there xc skiing in the winter.

You'd like this I think @Jackson. The campsite is very nice, and both day hikes are top notch. There was a lot of grizzly sign on the Bighorn Pass Trail, but very little on the Fawn Pass Trail. Not sure why that is the case though.

Day hikers that we passed going in and out all said that the meadows along the Gallatin River were great for wildlife, but we only saw the bull elk at a great distance, and a buck on our way out, which ran away as soon as it spotted us.

Really like that part of the park. Bummed that you didn't take me with you this time. I always thought it was interesting that the Gallatins are a truncated mountain range since the supervolcano destroyed the southern end during a mega eruption.

You should post that bog picture every chance you get. It has an inexplicable mesmerizing feel to it. I can almost hear the buzzing of the insects, your compadres talking, and you saying "Scatman down!" while everybody ignores you.

Oh trust me, everyone ignores me. :D

You know you always have an open invitation on all my trips Skipper. One of these days you are just going to have to go for broke and join us. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for letting Cody and I tag along on this one Hugh.

This was a wonderful group of days and a place in the park I'd like to return to someday.

You did not mention it, but it sure was windy on Bighorn Pass.

Nice picture of that hawk!

My Scatty senses were tingling on day four as I was watching Riverside Geyser. . . that must have been when you went down. :)

I'll be sure to post my version of events, once I get thru the Teton Wilderness of course.

You guys are both always welcome too. If you just didn't live so far away, it would make things a lot easier. :)

Yeah, I forgot about that wind.

Maybe your Scatty senses is the reason I fell? :D Should have known.

Looking forward to your version of the story.

Great report. I've read a lot about that section of the park. Looks like I'll have to explore it at some point...

Hope the body is holding up for you!

I thought that was creative vignetting rather than a lens hood issue. You should call it that instead. ;)

Great report. I've read a lot about that section of the park. Looks like I'll have to explore it at some point...

Hope the body is holding up for you!

I thought that was creative vignetting rather than a lens hood issue. You should call it that instead. ;)

You up for joining us next September - 20th trough the 23rd?

Great looking trip. I will have to try that beer next time I'm up that way. My wife and I stayed in West Yellowstone last weekend and had dinner at The Slippery Otter. My wife isn't much of a beer drinker but our waiter brought her a sample of Kettle SnowBlind, she ordered and drank an entire pint by herself and had me track some down to bring home with us.

Great looking trip. I will have to try that beer next time I'm up that way. My wife and I stayed in West Yellowstone last weekend and had dinner at The Slippery Otter. My wife isn't much of a beer drinker but our waiter brought her a sample of Kettle SnowBlind, she ordered and drank an entire pint by herself and had me track some down to bring home with us.

Yeah, Cold Smoke is a good beer. I think you'd enjoy it. Never had SnowBlind, but it looks interesting.

Scatman, your pink ensemble is great. It stands out in the wilds, yet is fashionable and functional.

Thanks for all the great pictures and commentary. It’s the other side of the park from me, but I hope to explore there some. But heck, it’s all beautiful.