Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two

TractorDoc

Day Two. I did not know what to expect to see on this day, but hoped our views would be a little less woodsy than yesterday. I did know the goal was to hike nine miles to campsite 6D2 located near Mountain Creek, almost the same distance as yesterday.

Before we left camp there would be breakfast. Sometimes a hot, hearty breakfast is nice, but I kept things cool and light on this trip with a lot of fruity granolas.

CPDay1-2.jpg

More often than not Bob and Scott would ignore my picture taking. Hugh is probably wondering if he needs to get more water. :)

GOPR0687.JPG

I believe that is Beaverdam Creek Scott is crossing in this picture. I could be wrong, but that is what my camera timeline suggests.

GOPR0691.JPG

Back on the trail and heading South.

0O7A0787.JPG

Instead of being tucked in the woods like yesterday we were immersed in willows during the morning. Somewhere along the trail I found a can of bear spray that the grabby willow branches likely plucked out of someone's holster/pack/pocket. It was unlikely anyone was coming back after it so I tucked it in my pack pocket. I'm supposed to be getting lighter, not heavier!

0O7A0789.JPG

Looking West. Somewhere out there is the Yellowstone River.

0O7A0795.JPG

There continued to be an abundance of wildflowers along the trail. Mariposa Lilies were some of my favorites. While I did not take a picture of every one I saw, I took pictures of most of them. :)

0O7A0799.JPG 0O7A0800.JPG

0O7A0797.JPG

Less trees, more views. :thumbsup:

0O7A0804.JPG

Making Progress. Where is campsite 6D2?

CPDay2-1.jpg

I was fascinated by these giant dandelion-like puffballs.

0O7A0813.JPG

And just about any other wildflower for that matter.

0O7A0814.JPG

Maybe our first good look at the Yellowstone River.

0O7A0818.JPG

The views continued to impress me as we moved along. It was difficult to have a care in the world on a day like today.

0O7A0819.JPG

Unless you were scared of the bears.

0O7A0823.JPG

Or amphibians.

0O7A0825.JPG

Or Canids. This track caught my interest because of the second, tiny track at it's upper left.

0O7A0828.JPG

The Thorofare Trail eventually climbed up on a bench above the river. The high ground revealed that the water followed a double 90 degree bend.

0O7A0832.JPG

From now on, when someone says "Yellowstone River" this is the image that I will forever think of. I probably stood here for five minutes but could have easily popped out my camp chair (which I did not bring) and spent an afternoon gazing out at the trees, the water, the sky. . . it was amazing. That is one heck of a log pile!

0O7A0834A.jpg

View looking the other direction (to the East). I wonder if anything lives in that cave. :thinking:

0O7A0842.JPG

More Flowers. Paintbrush and Lupine are also favorites of mine.

0O7A0845.JPG 0O7A0851.JPG

And more amazing river views.

0O7A0847.JPG

Sunscreen Break! Now everyone is ignoring me. From this side of the lens I look like an outcast in this picture. . . or I was just keeping my distance from Scott's socks. :)

CPDay2-5.jpg

Thanks again Dr. Maya for the ice cream. Mint chocolate chip and strawberry were mixed in this pouch. :hungry:

CPDay2-4.jpg

More paintbrush and more puffballs.

0O7A0852.JPG 0O7A0861.JPG

Not far from the upper ford spur trail the Thorofare Trail continued southeast while the Yellowstone River held a North/South course. Winding views of the waterway were missed but as a consolation we were treated to some scenic topography -- a prize I was not expecting but very happy to accept.

0O7A0857.JPG

Turret and Table Mountain dominated the skyline as we crossed Trappers Creek.

0O7A0864A.jpg

Crossing Trappers Creek involved some footwear swapping. That might be Colter Peak at the left. If I were Hugh, I'd want this picture on my refrigerator, even if he is rubbing his foot.

0O7A0866.JPG

I should try taking some of these without looking at the phone/camera, but then I probably would have ended up with a picture of Bob's foot.

CPDay2-6.jpg

Just like the Yellowstone River Delta, the view of the mountains to our left kept changing as we kept walking. That should give you a hint that many pictures are coming of changing views. ;)

0O7A0869A.jpg

Looking back to the North.

0O7A0872.JPG

Table Mountain and Turret Mountain.

0O7A0875A.jpg

Scott is in there somewhere. See if you can find him.

0O7A0876.JPG

Some day I will piece all my video clips together so you can have the full effect, until then you will just have to imagine the willows at the bottom of this picture swooshing back and forth in the wind.

0O7A0879A.jpg

Looking South towards the Trident.

0O7A0880.JPG

0O7A0882.JPG

Getting close to 6D2!

CPDay2-7.jpg

Not far from our campsite!

CPDay2-8.jpg

To reach campsite 6D2 a crossing of Mountain Creek is required. Hugh and I put on our water shoes.

0O7A0886.JPG

Bob chose to utilize the "run very fast" method across the water. I think Scott's feet were already wet so he took a similar approach.

0O7A0890.JPG

Home away from home for night number two. I know Hugh did not care for this campsite either. The tent sites were in an area covered with thick/heavy grasses.

0O7A0893.JPG

Suppers leaned heavily towards offerings from Peak Refuel.

GOPR0717.JPG

Campsite 6D2 may not have had the best tent sites, but the view from the cooking/eating area was worth the stay here.

0O7A0895A.jpg

Throw in a little Mountain Creek. . . :heart_eyes:

0O7A0901A.jpg

Sunset on another great day.

0O7A0913.JPG

My legs still felt good after day two. In general, morale amongst the group was very good. I was feeling optimistic about things we'd see in the next couple days. . . especially tomorrow. You'll have to find out why in the next installment. :)

Here is our track from GAIA GPS:

GPS Track Day 2.jpg

Last edited:
Love it. Was just talking with friends on my last trip of doing a Thorofare trip next fall, and this is pushing me toward it. Enjoying seeing it day-by-day. Especially because that means more photos. Haha.

wonderful report!

That bear print is a biggun! Wider than your boot!

Photo hint to show movement such as grasses/willows waving in the wind - set your shutter speed to 1/30, 1/15 or 1/8. To not kill your exposure, you might have to set the f-stop smaller, or to higher numbers. f/16 or 22 perhaps? If you have good stabilization, take a bunch of images on burst mode. One might be "stable enough" to keep. Otherwise, try a tripod. It's one of my favorite ways to show things blowing in the wind.

You are pretty sneaky with that Go-Pro. :)

The location of the campsite for night number two was excellent. The issue was with tent spots. There was only one good spot. If you are going to allow ten people to camp at the site, you need more than one good tent spot. Also, the signage of the sight itself left a little to be desired. Essentially, an old trail marker with the campsite 6D2 written on it. Not up to our high standards in my opinion.

Just not acceptable. :)
04.jpg

Wasn't it day 2 where we ran into the father and sons group when we crossed Trappers Creek? Or was it Mountain Creek? Whichever it was, I somehow did not take a picture of them. Scatman was off his game that day. :)

@Bob needs to chime in and let us know how the very fast method worked.

Looking forward to day three. Keep up the good work.

TractorDoc, Absolutely Loved the trip report as before! Just Great! This brings back so many wonderful memories. Am really happy you were able to experience this country. Now the Best to you!

Fantastic. This is one of my favorite walks in the park - your report really brought it back, so thank you!
I imagine you can get to this part of the park by the afternoon if you leave Nine Mile Trailhead in the morning. :)

Was just talking with friends on my last trip of doing a Thorofare trip next fall, and this is pushing me toward it. Enjoying seeing it day-by-day. Especially because that means more photos.
I really think you'd enjoy it Jackson. More pictures coming!

wonderful report!

That bear print is a biggun! Wider than your boot!
Thanks! Most prints we came across were really good size.

You are pretty sneaky with that Go-Pro.
Paints a more accurate picture of the events that took place. ;)

Also, the signage of the sight itself left a little to be desired. Essentially, an old trail marker with the campsite 6D2 written on it. Not up to our high standards in my opinion.
We do have high standards, don't we? :) Looks like someone hung that 6D2 marker with their bootlace.

Wasn't it day 2 where we ran into the father and sons group when we crossed Trappers Creek? Or was it Mountain Creek?
I remember encountering a group of fishermen at Trapper's Creek. Whether they were a father/sons group I do not know.

TractorDoc, Absolutely Loved the trip report as before! Just Great! This brings back so many wonderful memories. Am really happy you were able to experience this country. Now the Best to you!
Thank You. Getting to experience a small piece of this area allows me to understand why you enjoy it so much. Love at first sight!