What kind of stove do you use

I use a mini trangia when backpacking. For car camping I have a primus grasshopper that I found for $1 that works fantastically.

My favorite is my Purcell Trench packers grill. its only 3.3 ounces and does a great job of heating my water and cooking over a small fire in the mornings and night...

Here are my Purcell Trench Stix from an old photo. I fashioned from a metal coat hanger a couple inserts to fasten them like his light packer grills so they do the same thing and are very compact when broken down.

FireSRGB640_1.jpg

But these days it is mostly our Whitebox alcohol stove when there are no fire bans. I love the simplicity and ease that this stove gives me. Easy to set up and get going, pretty fast to the boil and will handle a liter of water even in cold weather or even more if need be...and it is bombproof. All that and only one ounce of weight.

_MG_0536acr750ee.jpg

I stopped carrying a stove 3 or 4 years ago. It's not the weight that annoyed me, it was the necessity of cleaning my cookpot. Kinda trashy I know, but what the heck.

I really enjoy cooking. The idea of not having a stove bums me out. I'd carry a stove just for tea, or even more important, coffee in the morning.
The only time I actually cook is when I am camping. Half the fun of my trip is what I plan to cook for dinner and breakfast. And I can't live without my coffee.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

i had a jet boil flash for several years and sold it last year for the MSR windburner. The jetboil would struggle in wind, whereas the windburner does really well in low winds. Obviously nothing is windproof, but works great thus far (used it twice in the wind rivers last summer)

I have one of these. It has performed great, is ultralight, and dirt cheap compared to similiar stoves. Downside is delivery time. I think mine took 3-4 weeks.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/outdoo...eel-gas-stove-with-a-case-2-ag3-46371?item=50

I have one of these from Amazon. The valve handle snapped off the other day. It was only 7.00 and did fine for 4 years. It is probably field repairable and you can still turn the stove off and on with a multi-tool. Anyway I just got my MSR Whisper Thingy today. It is heavier than the cheapy and the pot sits on it better. That's 29.00 vs 7.00. I've even seen them 2 for 15.00.

I have one of these from Amazon. The valve handle snapped off the other day. It was only 7.00 and did fine for 4 years. It is probably field repairable and you can still turn the stove off and on with a multi-tool. Anyway I just got my MSR Whisper Thingy today. It is heavier than the cheapy and the pot sits on it better. That's 29.00 vs 7.00. I've even seen them 2 for 15.00.
I have one as well. I picked it up for my son to use when he started Boy Scouts. The main issues I had with it is the pot holders flip around and do not grab well. My son's cup slid off a time or two. Other than that no problems.

Last edited:
I must confess that I don't use my stove much anymore; mostly dayhike. But in one of the tubs in the back of the truck is a jetboil and a pocket rocket.

I've got a couple of older stoves; optimus...Think I better leave them at the Climbers Ranch Sooner than later.

You all convinced me not to upgrade for friends that visit. Thanks a bunch.

I must confess that I don't use my stove much anymore; mostly dayhike. But in one of the tubs in the back of the truck is a jetboil and a pocket rocket.

I've got a couple of older stoves; optimus...Think I better leave them at the Climbers Ranch Sooner than later.

You all convinced me not to upgrade for friends that visit. Thanks a bunch.
If you want to sell an old Optimus let me know. I love those things.

I've been looking at the toaks titanium alchohol stove set lately anyone have any experience with it?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I've been looking at the toaks titanium alchohol stove set lately anyone have any experience with it?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

A friend of mine used one on a trip, seamed great for an alky stove. No simmer or anything, but seemed to work great at boiling water.

Whisperlite Universal (?) -- the one that works with a canister, white gas, etc. I've only used it with canister fuel aside from playing around -- white gas is too messy! Light and works fast. For trips with my kids (read: short, heavy and trying to keep them entertained), I can use different pans and cook things other than freeze dried meals. I also often have cooked for larger groups on scout trips and stuff, and the MSR is great for that -- boiling a little bit of water over and over on a Jetboil would drive me crazy. Biggest thing I don't like is the pointy edges for packing, honestly. Thinking about Jetboil for trips when I'm only cooking for myself -- I like the tidy package (kinda silly reason, I know).

Whisperlite Universal (?) -- the one that works with a canister, white gas, etc. I've only used it with canister fuel aside from playing around -- white gas is too messy! Light and works fast. For trips with my kids (read: short, heavy and trying to keep them entertained), I can use different pans and cook things other than freeze dried meals. I also often have cooked for larger groups on scout trips and stuff, and the MSR is great for that -- boiling a little bit of water over and over on a Jetboil would drive me crazy. Biggest thing I don't like is the pointy edges for packing, honestly. Thinking about Jetboil for trips when I'm only cooking for myself -- I like the tidy package (kinda silly reason, I know).
That's a good stove especially for groups. Watch out you may come to like white gas.

When cooking for multiple people, white gas is really great. I used to have an MSR Dragonfly, and it was like cooking on a normal gas stove, so much control. And it was crazy efficient with the fuel. I use a Snow Peak Gigapower now, since I mostly boil water and cook only for myself.

I've gone from white gas to canister to alcohol. What I really love about my little alky stove, beyond the lightweight and easy fuel portioning, is that it is silent.

When cooking for multiple people, white gas is really great. I used to have an MSR Dragonfly, and it was like cooking on a normal gas stove, so much control. And it was crazy efficient with the fuel. I use a Snow Peak Gigapower now, since I mostly boil water and cook only for myself.

The MSR Dragonfly has the finest control of any stove I own. It is indeed an amazing stove to cook over. We also use our 15 year old Gigapower stove when fire bans make alcohol stoves illegal.

off topic but I just realized that the Snow Peak cup in my image above is over 20 years old now. My how time flies.

That's a good stove especially for groups. Watch out you may come to like white gas.

I dunno, I used it for years with the old whisperlite. I don't miss my hands not smelling like gas after I'm done cooking. Maybe I just wasn't good at starting it up! Plus, I feel better about having a kid or someone in the troop carry a canister, knowing it won't leak or anything. I never let the white gas out of my control before. But I do like having the white gas option if I end up at high elevation or in the winter or something. Or even as a emergency prep stove that can burn anything.

Not sure why they ever called it a 'whisperlite,' though. It sounds like a jet getting ready to take off under a full burn. I was looking at the Jetboil Minimo today. Trying to get my gear down to where I can overnight with my 40l pack. I might pull the trigger on that one while its on sale at REI.

I dunno, I used it for years with the old whisperlite. I don't miss my hands not smelling like gas after I'm done cooking. Maybe I just wasn't good at starting it up! Plus, I feel better about having a kid or someone in the troop carry a canister, knowing it won't leak or anything. I never let the white gas out of my control before. But I do like having the white gas option if I end up at high elevation or in the winter or something. Or even as a emergency prep stove that can burn anything.

Not sure why they ever called it a 'whisperlite,' though. It sounds like a jet getting ready to take off under a full burn. I was looking at the Jetboil Minimo today. Trying to get my gear down to where I can overnight with my 40l pack. I might pull the trigger on that one while its on sale at REI.
I picked up a Jetboil and really like it. You can always use another stove. The nice thing is that they are small enough that my wife has a hard time spotting a new one.