What kind of stove do you use

JD

I Love Coffee
I am starting to look for a canister stove set up for time to time use I have a MSR Whisperlite and love it but want an option for a compact system. Jetboil who has them plus minus with them, MSR reactor or even pocket rocket setup with GSI pans? Other options you guys use.

I am starting to look for a canister stove set up for time to time use I have a MSR Whisperlite and love it but want an option for a compact system. Jetboil who has them plus minus with them, MSR reactor or even pocket rocket setup with GSI pans? Other options you guys use.

I have one of these. It has performed great, is ultralight, and dirt cheap compared to similiar stoves. Downside is delivery time. I think mine took 3-4 weeks.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/outdoo...eel-gas-stove-with-a-case-2-ag3-46371?item=50

I've been using a Jetboil for a number of years and it has worked flawlessly for me. Now that I've started backpacking it seems to take up more room in my pack than I'd like, so I may look for a smaller option down the road.

I've been using a Jetboil for a number of years and it has worked flawlessly for me. Now that I've started backpacking it seems to take up more room in my pack than I'd like, so I may look for a smaller option down the road.
Thanks that is a concern how much space it takes up.

I think it depends on what you plan on cooking.. if you are just boiling water and don't mind waiting 5 minutes build an alcohol stove :).. otherwise I think a whisperlite is a good all around stove (had mine for about 10 years now :) ).

depending on the canister size (100g canisters fit perfectly in the cup) the jetboils pack down about as efficiently as possible. the biggest problem for me is I didn't like their proprietary stove, it really only works with JB products. so I modified a jetboil cup to fit a pocket rocket stove. made it significantly smaller in the process, as i used a dremel to cut off the top 40 percent of the cup (from 800ml to 475ml).

that said, the new "SOL" versions of the jetboils are probably the most efficient in terms of fuel consumed, and in terms of total space, out of any canister stove option. i don't think the titanium is worth it, the aluminum is a nice value at only a 1oz weight penalty to the titaniums.

seems like i've been using JB's for about 5 years now, and tried most of their models. the new SOL seems to be a pretty sweet setup, even if it's just slightly larger than i want it to be.

I'm still fairly new to backpacking and the guys I go with typically bring their stoves. So, I've used the Whiperlite, MSR reactor, and a pocket rocket. I also usually bring along something to experiment with. So I've used a couple of home made alcohol stoves, a Brasslite I-D alcohol stove, and I just bought an Emberlit Titanium wood burning stove. Not sure if I'll be able to use it this trip though.

The reactor was fast. The only downside, other than price, seemed to be that it required a specific pot...much like the JetBoil. The Whiperlite seemed a little finicky to get going and requires white gas, which seems heavy to me. The Pocket rocket worked real well and I'm considering the MicroRocket as a backup to my buddy's Reactor this trip.

The alcohol stoves worked well for 1 person with some time to kill. I don't think they were that practical for a group of four.

I'm looking forward to using the woodburner when I can. It has the convenience of not worrying about packing fuel. It can burn as long as needed, it packs flat and it weighs just 5.5 oz.

also, if you are crafty and worried about the cost - backcountry has the jetboil cups on sale right now for 35 bucks. that link deadeye posted for a camp stove can be found on amazon for 15 bucks with domestic shipping, cheaper if you want to wait for it from china.

that exact stove was sold in lots of stores in Nepal when I was there in 2010, and I used it over a 3 month period. It is essentially a pocketrocket. i'll probably get one to test it out soon again with my modified jetboil cup, but for the price, it is basically a $50 jetboil, but slightly lighter and more versatile if you want to use small frying pans or non-JB cups when you are with your friends.

The reactor was fast. The only downside, other than price, seemed to be that it required a specific pot...much like the JetBoil. The Whiperlite seemed a little finicky to get going and requires white gas, which seems heavy to me. The Pocket rocket worked real well and I'm considering the MicroRocket as a backup to my buddy's Reactor this trip.
If there are more than 2 people, the reactor is definitely worth considering, but the other downside to it's proprietary pot is that it is big and heavy. But, it is sweet. I've loved using them, but they just are too much bulk for one or two person trips.

What's your woodburning stove like? I know nick has a backcountry boiler. I keep telling him to let me try it out.

I too like Nick am Paleo I have to try and find the sweet spot for food I often use my small GSI kettle and fry pan but now I am thinking unless my wife is with me I can try a one pot homemade meal or water for my cup of joe. I love the reactor has great reviews but it might be too large and heavy for what I am looking for I want to downsize while traveling on my own or small groups no need for all the comforts while shes not with me. Getting crafty could be fun

My buddy had the jetboil SOL on my Winds trip I just got back from and it was freaking awesome!!! It worked very well for two people! The other two guys in our group had the regular jetboil and it worked well for them. They even boiled hotdogs in it. Why they packed in a hot dog I'll never understand???:confused: And then had to boil it because of the fire ban! LOL! :roflmao:

If there are more than 2 people, the reactor is definitely worth considering, but the other downside to it's proprietary pot is that it is big and heavy. But, it is sweet. I've loved using them, but they just are too much bulk for one or two person trips.

What's your woodburning stove like? I know nick has a backcountry boiler. I keep telling him to let me try it out.
The boiler looks cool but limited on what you can do but easy way to get hot water

We had four on our last trip and the reactor worked great. Agreed, for two it would just be too much, I think. Even so, I think I like the Pocket Rocket / Micro Rocket form factor a little better and the fact that you can mix and match pots. If I was buying one right now I'd go with the Micro Rocket.

I just got the Emberlit woodburner (http://www.emberlit.com/) and haven't had a chance to fire it up yet. But the things I like about it (and online reviews seem to bear this out) it packs flat, weighs 5.5 oz., doesn't require you carry fuel, has an opening on the side to insert larger sticks (as it burns you just keep pushing the stick in), and can maintain a burn indefinitely.

It works better with a pot larger than my 700 ml Backcountry.com Ti Pot. So, I got the GSI Ketalist to go with it.

I plan on doing a test of all of my new gear before this trip, including the stove. Hopefully I won't find anything wrong with my choices.

if there wasn't a fire ban right now, i'd try my 3 dollar ikea stove in the winds - it's sweet! cut out one side with a dremel to put in the kindling.

cheap, lightweight, requires no fuel. this photo is with a 3 cup pot, but with an imusa cup it nests perfectly. i think it weighs 4 ounces or so. use tent stakes here to keep it up off the ground for better airflow, but you can use rocks or make a little stand too.

pretty light, but it gets black and nasty after awhile from the soot. that's why the backcountry boiler looks interesting.

Ltu02.jpg

if there wasn't a fire ban right now, i'd try my 3 dollar ikea stove in the winds - it's sweet! cut out one side with a dremel to put in the kindling.

cheap, lightweight, requires no fuel. this photo is with a 3 cup pot, but with an imusa cup it nests perfectly. i think it weighs 4 ounces or so. use tent stakes here to keep it up off the ground for better airflow, but you can use rocks or make a little stand too.

pretty light, but it gets black and nasty after awhile from the soot. that's why the backcountry boiler looks interesting.

Ltu02.jpg
Nice use of a counter top spoon holder.

Jet boil Sol is my favorite, and after they came out with the french press for coffee, it never leaves my pack. I figure if I pack in a whisperlite or something along those lines, I still have to pack in a pot and then, I don't save enough room to justify not haveing a killer cup of joe while watching the sun come up.