What kind of stove do you use

I now use a Soto. It's crazy small and light, and it boils much faster than my last stove. It also uses standard fuel canisters.

Here we go...
index.php

:roflmao: :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I have one of these. It has performed great, is ultralight, and dirt cheap compared to similiar stoves. Downside is delivery time. I think mine took 3-4 weeks.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/outdoo...eel-gas-stove-with-a-case-2-ag3-46371?item=50
I just picked up one of these off amazon - came today. I took it apart and removed the piezo (seems like it will break quickly) and weighed it. 2.9 oz, lighter than a pocket rocket. for 10 bucks, seems worthy. with amazon prime, got here in 2 days, no shipping.

i thought it was the identical stove to the one i bought in asia, but this one has an orange anodized base, so it must be at least slightly different. the burner is much smaller than comparable stoves, but i don't think that hurts the efficiency, especially on my modified jetboil. i'll give it thorough run through, wonder how well it will hold up. certainly seems likely to bend.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004U8CP88/?tag=backcountrypo-20

I have thought about picking up the Primus ETA Solo more or less a jetboil. Might pick up a couple options and see what I like the most.

I've been using the crap out of my JetBoil SOL Ti this summer - both backpacking and for boiling coffee water when car camping (Starbucks Via, just too quick and easy w/the JB).

One aspect of it that I really appreciate, is just how crazy fuel efficient it is. I bought a Coleman 8 oz. cannister from Walmart when I first got the JB and have been using it all summer for making coffee while car camping (I drink a lot of coffee, and I do a lot of car camping...). I just got home last night from another five night trip, with lots of coffee making and that dang fuel cannister is STILL going!

On my recent five night Uintas BP trip, I used the JB for two people, two meals a day including multiple cups of coffee and hot chocolate each morning, fried fish in a big (borrowed) frying pan etc. For the whole trip it didn't even use one 8 oz. fuel cannister. For a two person, longer trip like that, the light weight of the SOL system combined with only having to carry one fuel cannister makes for an over all very light, compact package I think.

And of course it boils water just stupid fast, too - which is the biggest reason I switched to the JB/Via setup for my car camping coffee over the "coffee balls" method I'd been using for 25 years prior.

Anyway... I know very little about these stoves, actually, but have been five star happy/impressed with my JB SOL Ti.

- DAA

So the thing holding me back on the jetboil is can you cook in it or just boil water as I need to do both. Some reviews state you can only boil as they cook so damn hot. Is this true???

what do you want to cook? they are tough to cook in, but not much different than any other pot.

Likely more than just hot water on shorter trips I want to try and make a stew or something like that I can make some paleo whole meals vaccum seal an freeze to try and some more temp stable things it will be heavier on the food but something I want to try. If they dont simmer well might not work as well as I hope? This will all be a trial and error style for cooking might not work at all.

I have used the jetboil flash for a few years now. I love this stove for boiling water, however it seems that (at least on the flash) the stove is either running full blast or it's off. Hard to dial in a smaller flame for simmering stuff etc... I do use it for rice, which involves turning down the flame and continuously checking it as there is a tendency for it to creep higher.

I've been using a jetboil for a couple of years, it's perfect for boiling water when hydrating meals. I also use it for coffee with the french press attachment whenever I car camp as well. I use an older two burner stove for cooking while car camping though...

looking through this thread made me realize jetboil makes this attachment though. With all the backpacking I've been doing, it might be a nice investment.

...MSR PocketRocket + MSR fuel + titan kettle. :cool:

I'm planning on getting a Pocket Rocket. I think it will be suitable for weekend excursions where I will only be boiling small amounts of water and warming precooked food. About how long do the small MSR fuel canisters last on average?

...aprox. 28 minutes and 7 liters of water. :)

Gesendet von meinem ViperXed HOX |2.7.1| mit Tapatalk 2

I love my Caldera Cone, the Ti tri version. I have a snow peak giga power, pocket rocket, MSR Dragonfly at home and the Caldera is wonderful for one or two people. It is an alcohol stove.

Reactions: Dan
My favorite is my Purcell Trench packers grill. its only 3.3 ounces and does a great job of heating my water and cooking over a small fire in the mornings and night. I still carry a light canister stove just in case. Good way to use up my half used canisters on short trips. Just nice to not have to prime a pump (Whisperlite), carry extra canisters or deal with alcohol stoves. Plus, there is something comforting about relaxing by a fire and cooking old school. http://www.purcelltrench.com/grills.htm

I have the pocket rocket and think it is just right really. I have a GSI dualist set that I remove half the stuff and just put my canister and rocket in when I go solo. It all goes together well. I think in the long term I would like to get some lighter cookware though if something else will work better.

I have been a Flash Jet Boil fan for 7+ years. Same one went on every camp trip never had an issue. Love it! Used it to make coffee and hydrate meals.

This last trip I splurged and bought the Mini Mo.
What I love:
Squat pot, makes it easy to stir and cook and eat from.
The fact you can cook, it simmers!!
Put the stabilizing stand in the lid for packing.
Has foldable handles, makes it easier to cook with and drink from as a cup.
Can pack a small canister of fuel inside.

Things I hate:
The bottom protective cup is still made out of useless plastic. I don't get this. They redesign the Jet Boil yet leave this crappy cup. I will let you know when it cracks because it will and it will end up duct taped like my other one.
It is squat, seems bulkier, and harder to pack. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

But I can cook!!! Dinner was amazing so was breakfast.

Oh one more thing i didn't like, I chose not to bring a separate coffee mug and drank my coffee in the pot before making breakfast. I like sipping my coffee longer while I watch the sunrise and get moving. Next time I will use a separate cup. Probably one that will double as a water holder.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk