UL Backpacking: A Thread for the Gram Counters

I figure we need a place to chat about UL backpacking. Got any good tips, questions, suggestions? Post 'em up here, I'd love to learn from the masters.
I'm not an ultra lighter but learned plenty from them. I weighed everything and took the lightest if all else was equal. This was the best thing to lighten my load. Not bringing extra clothes was another big item for me. I rarely changed into them so just started leaving at home. If it was rainy I would just get the dry set wet anyway so what was the use. Just something dry to change into for sleep is all I bring.

Being light allows me to bring luxuries like a chair or extra treats for the kids on longer trips. Plus it saves my knees and I don't feel worn out by the end of a trip. I was lucky because I started backpacking only a few years ago when UL was getting easier to do without suffering on the comfort end.

Oh wait - something bad did happen once when I was tent-less in the desert. A huge creature crawled into my bag and tried to spoon with me. Since I rarely zip up my sleeping bag, it was pretty easy. I had my dog sleeping next to me up by my torso on a dog bed that night. Sometime in the night I was awoken by what I thought was her rolling around or something and pulling the sleeping bag off of me ( also cover her a bit like a quilt). I reached over to give her a little hug and felt a hand. I touched it for a minute thinking "why the hell can't I feel my hand?!". I thought maybe it had gone to sleep, until I realized it WASN'T MY HAND!!! That jolted me out of my half awake state of mind and i quickly realized that my legs were intertwined with another pair of legs down in the bottom of my sleeping bag. I looked over to see this guy (I'd just met him that night) basically spooning the other side of my dog. I woke him up and told him he was in the wrong bag. He was confused, but then he got really excited because my dog had finally let him pet her (she was asleep now and had been a little afraid of him earlier). After a bit of convincing, I finally got him to get out of my sleeping bag. He stood up at the foot of my tarp kind of confused and sad wondering where he was going to sleep now. Turned out he got up to pee in the middle of the night, he saw my tarp and thought it was his. Ahhhh, alcohol.... :confused:

So there, pack a tent to keep drunk people out of your sleeping bag. ;)

Re: adjusting load based on conditions, I totally agree on all points. I have a 'full' list I start from and before I even pack, I go through and cross out things I won't need for the situation and try to think of any unusual things I might need.

wow, that's the best camp story I've ever heard. I always shave my legs before a trip, that way if I feel hairy legs in the bag with me, I can instantly recognize that something's wrong.

wow, that's the best camp story I've ever heard. I always shave my legs before a trip, that way if I feel hairy legs in the bag with me, I can instantly recognize that something's wrong.

This thread is awesome. If you shave your legs though, you may not feel the creepies crawling up your legs.

In all seriousness, and in speaking to Nick's points as well, I suppose things like scorpions, snakes, mice would be able to sense a person's body heat and thus their size and would opt to avoid a person as it is most likely just as a afraid of being squashed or otherwise harmed by a person as a person could be of a sting or bite and that, as was said, they're more likely to seek refuge under the ground pad and/or in your shoes. Never forget to shake them out in the morning! This may explain why nobody seems to have issues with them?

Still, it sounds like something like a bug net bivy would be a nice layer to ensure such things stay out of your bag and give a guy like me a bit more peace of mind. I may have to add this to my wish list.

that one seems pretty cool. It seem like an upside-down skirt, so your entire bag isn't in the net, just the part by your head (where you want it). It's really all you need.

I tried switching to the Dime but ended up breaking mine twice by putting to much force on the blade and bending it back. The scissor spring also broke. I switched to the Leatherman version and it has lasted for over a year with no problems (I think it is the Squirt).

I'll remember this if my Dime ever malfunctions.

Still, it sounds like something like a bug net bivy would be a nice layer to ensure such things stay out of your bag and give a guy like me a bit more peace of mind. I may have to add this to my wish list.

That looks like a good bug screen. I've thought about getting one that hangs from my tonneau in the back of my truck for when bugs are bad. But one of these days when you're out in the shoulder seasons and the bug factor is low, you should really try tent-free. It's not always appropriate, but it's so nice to just be one with it all.

That looks like a good bug screen. I've thought about getting one that hangs from my tonneau in the back of my truck for when bugs are bad. But one of these days when you're out in the shoulder seasons and the bug factor is low, you should really try tent-free. It's not always appropriate, but it's so nice to just be one with it all.

Noted! I've actually gone tent free a few times in my youth. Once in my back yard, once at a scout camp, and once at another youth camp. When the conditions are right for it, I'm sure I'd enjoy doing it again, though perhaps in my hammock. In fact, in most places from spring to fall, I can't see myself not taking my 2.5 lb hammock+tarp system. It's a great balance between comfort, weight, and versatility for me. Though, I will say some of the items mentioned on this thread, such as the SMD Wild Oasis and the Tarptent, look mighty tempting for when shelter is needed and I want to drop another pound. I can also leave my hammock home and just take my 1lb tarp, especially if I know there won't be trees for hanging and bugs won't be a concern.

Sometimes it is overwhelming just how many brands and products are out there, especially when you add in all the awesome little cottage companies contributing to the ultralight as well as the hammock niche markets. There are so many intriguing products and combinations of gear out there for greater or lesser expense. We are definitely fortunate to live when such gear combinations at such incredibly low weights are possible without sacrificing much comfort and more importantly, safety. In the end though, what matters most, is that you have sufficient for your needs and are able to just get out and enjoy the trails and scenery and any company you're with.

Hey now! Didn't I read somewhere about you packing Mountain Dew in your pack?! In my defense, the 7+ lbs figure is a rarity when we get crazy and decide to pack a 12-pack in or something. Usually it's just a liter or two of whiskey, so only 5 pounds. Haha!
Dang it, busted! I think the most I've packed in is two 20 ounce bottles.

i haven't taken a knife or multi tool with me for a couple years.

i will take finger nail clippers.

I'm thinking the Tarptent Rainbow might be my next tent. I like the side loading style a lot. And for once I think I'd be down with just the 1-man version since it's still extra wide (40"), they even say it's ideal for big/tall people. 2 pounds 2 oz would knock about a pound and a half off my base weight. Anyone have any opinions on that particular tent?

http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

I'm thinking the Tarptent Rainbow might be my next tent. I like the side loading style a lot. And for once I think I'd be down with just the 1-man version since it's still extra wide (40"), they even say it's ideal for big/tall people. 2 pounds 2 oz would knock about a pound and a half off my base weight. Anyone have any opinions on that particular tent?

http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html
Is that a totally free standing tent or does it new guy outs to hold it up. I know tarp tent calls it free standing but I've read reports that it wasn't totally.

I'm making the move on a Tarptent Double rainbow. Just decided that like this morning it was between that and a Light Heart Gear Duo. It's a little less square feet but it wider to fit a 25" and 20" pad. Getting it for wife and daughter to stay in on up coming trip.
I bought a Solong 6 last year and just love it. Extra long plenty of room for gear and easy set up. With tyvek ground cloth(3oz) and titanium stakes I'm at 37oz.

I'm super happy with the quality, design, and build of my tarptent. I paid to have them seam-seal it for me at their factory because I was in a hurry for my trip, and because I'm lazy.

I have the stratospire II, which is 5 oz heavier than the rainbow II. I absolutely love it. I have other shelters I use when I want to go ultralight.

The only time I ever packed up and headed home early from a trip was in a zpacks tent that did not have adequate coverage to keep the horizontal dust/sand out in the swell. The design of the rainbow II always made me wonder if dust would blow directly in from the side. Has anyone had that experience with this tent?

Last edited:
I've been looking at that tarp tent contrail, just over 1 lb 11oz, not bad

After seeing @LarryBoy's sixmoondesign wild oasis, I was extremely impressed. I only wish they made a 2-man version.

After seeing @LarryBoy's sixmoondesign wild oasis, I was extremely impressed. I only wish they made a 2-man version.

It's nice if you're the kind of person who doesn't spend much time in the tent. I like to roll into camp fairly late in the evening, and just cowboy unless it's rainy, windy, or buggy. Those who spend more time in camp might want something a little bit less plastic bag-like.