UL Backpacking: A Thread for the Gram Counters

I just checked dimensions... If you are willing to give up 4 cm of length (1.4") you would save 1.7 lbs with the 2 person tent I just picked up. But it's also front entry which I know you don't like.

I know you mentioned it in another thread, but which tent again?

You're a brave man for posting your list and opening it for scrutiny. =) I'm with you though, I've been working diligently over the years to lighten my pack. I'm nowhere near the ultra lighters (and probably never will be) but the 10-15 lbs I've shaved off my pack over the years has done wonders for my overall backpacking experiences. Sounds like you've done a good job already. I'll add my 2 cents (mostly because it's fun)...and I may repeat some stuff that's been said...and keep in mind I'm no ultralighter...I just like to shave weight here and there each year.

Pack - seems ok to me (mostly because mines heavier that yours. haha!)
Pad - good
Pad pump - could ditch but i understand why you bring it
Pillow - could ditch and use puffy like larry said, but you admitted it being a luxury item
Tent - as good as you'll get for a freestanding, simple tent. (edit: @Vegan.Hiker totally got a cool tent. Get that one!) =) I use the same one when sleeping two. I'm considering a tarptent as well (Rainshadow 2 because I hate sleeping shoulder to shoulder, hip to hip when sharing).
Spot - Great idea, good safety, but I don't use one. Maybe if I went solo.
Headlamp - I dropped a TINY bit of weight going to a 1.06 fire fly. Not super bright but gets the job done.
6L bladder - could cut for alpine hikes maybe (once again, I understand why you like it)
Esbit - I considered the same thing...stuck with canister and snowpeak.
Nalgene/Camelbak bladder - I used to take one of each...saved lots of weight by just taking 2 cheapie water bottles. Good job. I think your review of the steripen got me thinking about carrying less water (mentioned below).
Toothpaste - I just got some chewable toothpaste things. Just for fun!
Battery back - it's a shame it's so "heavy" but awesome to have with your phone I'm sure.
TP - Use rocks and snow dude!! (totally kidding) =)
Poncho - 7.4 oz pretty good. I tried a dri ducks top (about 4 oz). worked pretty well. no pockets. only lasted one season. but was dirt cheap
Multitool - I leave mine at home now. one of my hiking buddies usually has one and I rarely find myself needing a blade or tool.
Paper maps - sometimes I'll take photo copies of one part of the map and leave the full map at home.
Packed water - I've started to hike with as little water as possible and camel up when I can. =) Requires common sesnse and a little planning.
Food - I like my food so it's hard to cut weight here. I cut out cocoa packets and switched to good earth sweet and spicy tea. very sweet and tasty.
Camera gear - makes me cry that you have to pack so much weight. But you awesome photographers are awesome for packing the stuff in.

I doubt any of that was helpful but it was fun to comment and compare what I do to what you do. Maybe something I suggested will save you 2 oz! Keep at it and I'm sure you'll find ways to cut weight. We're all hoping for you to get back at it with a healthy knee.

Last edited:

Every time I buy a piece of gear that I think it decent bang for buck, and one of the lightest, etc (like my copper spur 2), someone finds another piece of gear that's lighter and just as awesome if not way cooler! Nice buy. Curious to see how it works out for you. Buying new gear is FUN! =)

Thanks for the line by line, Mike. :)

Pad pump - could ditch but i understand why you bring it

I probably will ditch it. I only bring it on some trips anyway - it hasn't actually earned the honor to get added to my packing list. The trash compactor bag method looks like a nice replacement. I do hate inflating pads...

Pillow - could ditch and use puffy like larry said, but you admitted it being a luxury item

The puffy just doesn't do it for me. I'm a 3-pillow guy at home (one under head, one in arms and one under an arm flung out - Ha!). Plus, if I wear my clothes and puffy, I can get away with using my 32˚, 1.5 lb sleeping bag down into the teens without even having to zip it all the way up. So I guess in that situation, packing the inflatable pillow is actually a weight saver? :)

6L bladder - could cut for alpine hikes maybe (once again, I understand why you like it)

I probably should have mentioned, but that's exactly what I do. In the mountains I usually just bring a couple of bottles or a smaller hiking bladder and call it good since we're pretty much always camped near water.

Battery back - it's a shame it's so "heavy" but awesome to have with your phone I'm sure.

Ya know the more I think about it, I haven't had to use it much when I'm careful about switching in and out of airport mode. And now with the iPhone 6+, my battery lasts forever. I should probably just get a smaller one or ditch it all together for trips 4 days and shorter. The one I have now is a 6000mAh Jackery Bar. For just $16 I could pick up this 3000mAh Anker lipstick style one and still be totally fine for most trips and cut the weight in half (2.7 oz). I do love using the topos in GPS Gaia on the phone. So much better than dedicated GPS, IMO.

Paper maps - sometimes I'll take photo copies of one part of the map and leave the full map at home.

Yeah, I usually like to print out custom double sided 12x18's for every trip. I tossed a Nat Geo Trails Illustrated on the scale to get that weight but I'm sure my usual maps would be much less. Too bad I don't work in the office with the 12x18 printer anymore though... need to find a new place to do that for not too much.

Packed water - I've started to hike with as little water as possible and camel up when I can. =) Requires common sesnse and a little planning.

Ditto that. If water is going to be readily available or if it's not scorching hot, I just do 1 liter. I don't suck down nearly as much as some folks I go with.

Multitool - I leave mine at home now. one of my hiking buddies usually has one and I rarely find myself needing a blade or tool.

My friends say the same thing! But then they're always asking to use mine! :mad:

TP - Use rocks and snow dude!! (totally kidding) =)

I just couldn't resist the opportunity to post this again...

upload_2015-1-9_23-5-20-png.24450

Thanks for the line by line, Mike. :)

Haha...I may have gotten a little carried away. But it was fun, especially since your style and my style of backpacking (and what to pack) seem to have a lot of overlap.

I was totally thinking of that book when I thought of the rocks and snow (and you obviously caught right on). Nice.

If we ever get the chance to backpack together I'll definitely be asking to borrow your multi tool. ;)

No more booze when backpacking for me! Depending on the trip, that saves somewhere between 2.5 to 7+ POUNDS!!
LOL! 7+ lbs!!! Now that's some dedication (or maybe an addiction) ;)!

LOL! 7+ lbs!!! Now that's some dedication (or maybe an addiction) ;)!

Hey now! Didn't I read somewhere about you packing Mountain Dew in your pack?! In my defense, the 7+ lbs figure is a rarity when we get crazy and decide to pack a 12-pack in or something. Usually it's just a liter or two of whiskey, so only 5 pounds. Haha!

I wonder how the ventilation is on that solar photon 2. I've had bad luck with poor ventilating tents causing excessive condensation in cold temperatures, even in dry Utah.. You can't argue that weight though! Looks like a great UL option.

Last edited:
Switched my multitool from a Gerber Crucial to the Gerber Dime, was 5oz, now 2.2oz

I tried switching to the Dime but ended up breaking mine twice by putting to much force on the blade and bending it back. The scissor spring also broke. I switched to the Leatherman version and it has lasted for over a year with no problems (I think it is the Squirt).

This I am very interested in. Aside from the obvious features, the thing I love most about the Copper Spur is it's ample square footage. I'm 6'4" and the only tents I've used that made it comfy for me to really spread out have been Big Agnes. It seems like they usually have an extra 4-6" in interior length. Anyone have any recommendations with that in mind?

I use a TarpTent Rainbow and I really like it. Weight per my scale is 36.4 oz including stakes and stuff sacks. The floor space is a little smaller than your Copper Spur, but it's only 2" shorter (88" vs. 90") and the walls taper away from your head and foot. There's plenty of room to spread out sleeping solo. Even better for me at 6'2" is the headroom when you sit up, where you'll get an extra inch (43" vs. 42") of height vs. your Copper Spur.

My packing philosophy changes based on the trip objectives. To me, there are two different primary objectives a backpacking trip can have: Distance/Mileage and Leisure/Luxury (Basecamp). I think more luxury items can be worth it and justified if you're only going up a trail for up to 10 miles, then setting up a multi-night basecamp from which you'll be day hiking, peak bagging, fishing, lounging about, photographing, and/or whatever else suits your leisure. Of course, ultralight packers can enjoy much of the same activities from a basecamp, minus books for reading, camp chairs for lounging, and so on.

Then there is the type of backpacking where each day has a mileage/distance objective and you're route is either a loop or a thru-hike requiring you to carry all your gear to a new campsite just about every day you're out, whether it's a two-nighter or a full thru-hike up the PCT. For these trips, following the ultralight philosophy makes the most sense.

Of course, there can be a bit of overlap with these two types of backpacking, especially if it's a single overnighter, at which point, you can go either way, luxury & comfort in camp or ultralight comfort on the trail. I typically like to lean in the latter direction for single overnighters because I have found that with such short trips, I really don't have much time, if any, to really use and enjoy bringing more comfort and luxury items to have in camp.

In addition to the trip objectives, season, climate, & geography will dictate more or less gear as well.

Now, with all that said, I ask those who get by with just a tarp for shelter down in the southern deserts, how do you ensure no scorpions and spiders make their way onto your face and/or into your bag or under your quilt?

While I've had no bad experiences or close encounters with a scorpion, I know they exist all over down south and I will readily acknowledge that I have a phobia with them.

Last edited:
Also...I just found out about this website that serves as a gram/ounce/pound counter tool if you want to spare yourself the ground work of setting up a spreadsheet.

http://geargrams.com/

It's free, with the option to donate, but does require an account setup with login. I've only watched the demo video and it looks like a pretty good tool with the option to set up multiple gear lists (for different seasons and types of trips and what not). It doesn't appear to come up on a mobile browser though so you'll probably have to be on a desktop to be able to use it.

^ good one!

When I'm worried about scorpions, I sleep in a titanium goat bug net bivvy. Most of the time I'm not worried about them, but maybe I should be.

Now, with all that said, I ask those who get by with just a tarp for shelter down in the southern deserts, how do you ensure no scorpions and spiders make their way onto your face and/or into your bag or under your quilt?

You don't. Sometimes when it's really warm out and the creepy crawly factor is higher, I switch back to a tent. But remember, humans have been sleeping on the ground without a tent for a looooooong time. I'd guess I've spent at least somewhere around 100 nights sans-tent on the ground in the desert and nothing bad has ever happened. I've had a night or two with some nuisance micro flying insects but never anything that actually hurt me. Even in the Zion Narrows where there were things scattering everywhere you shined your light and it was like 80 at night. I woke up with some smooshed carcass on under my pad, but otherwise a-okay. Scorpions in my experience just want to crawl under your tarp/tent and go to sleep. There is something extremely satisfying about having no tent over your head.

Oh, that reminds me, we even had a night when the spiders and mice were SO bad that they were fighting each other right in front of us. Seriously! I did sleep in a tent that night. :)