UL Backpacking: A Thread for the Gram Counters

I paid to have them seam-seal it for me at their factory because I was in a hurry for my trip, and because I'm lazy.

What did you have to do (and pay) to get this done? I see the $6 sealing kit but no option to have them do it for me. I'm lazy too....

What did you have to do (and pay) to get this done? I see the $6 sealing kit but no option to have them do it for me. I'm lazy too....

from the FAQ on their page (I had to dig a little to find it)

Do Tarptents need to be seam-sealed?

Yes. All seams over your living space should be sealed. Silicone is the only material that will stick to the fabric. Urethane sealer will flake off. An inexpensive product that works well is GE Silicone II clear sealer/glue. It is available as a squeeze tube in most US hardware stores or in the Tarptent Store. Set up the tent ouside in a well-ventilated location. Mix about a tablespoon of silicone with a couple of tablespoons of mineral spirits(paint thinner) and then apply the solution with a small foam brush. Add more mineral spirits if the solution gets too thick. The goal is heavy olive oil consistency. Avoid skin contact and breathing fumes. Please refer to the seam-sealing video to see the full procedure.
We offer seam-sealing kits ($6-$8) containing premix silicone, a foam brush, and a latex glove in the webstore.

We also offer seam-sealing as a service ($30) if you would like. Please note that seam-sealing is weather dependent and that it takes a few days to complete the process.

Do you mean the optional interior? I haven't purchased the high-wall one yet, but I've thought about it for the dust storms in the swell. That being said, I haven't had dust issues with this tent yet.

The statospire II is HUGE. It's really a 3-man tent. We would have been fine with a statospire I.

oh, I see now. That's unique to the double rainbow. The stratospire is a double-wall tent anyway, so i don't have to worry about that.

Looks as a good start. Remember items are personalized to you. not to me or anyone else......
My big three (sleeping, cooking, pack) base weight is 9.5 lbs. That is your always have weight, so get that down as best you can.
So here is what I would look at changing...
You can do better on the backpack weight itself by at least 1/2 lb.
Ditch the pad pump and pillow (I use a net stuff sack with my clean extra soft things.
Personally I'd ditch the Spot.
I'd ditch the Steripen for Aquamira or Iodine.
I'd ditch the bladder and plastic bottle for multi platypuss contianers (light and tuff AND foldable)
Would NOT use esbit stove....PITA, stick with canister
ditch camp shoes, just unlace boots
You can do better on LS shirt weight
Down vest instead of jacket
Lighter rain/wind gear
leave cars keys on truck somewhere
single page trip maps or on phone GPS (personally a phone for GPS is bad..no battery life.
Can do better on the tent....my Rainbow is 2lb 2oz and is every bit as good.

A lot depends on the price to weight cost and how much you care to spend for it....
Also consider the volume of items....
I could add some things as well. My pack weight less water for 14 days is 41 lbs, with NO resupply of food. I figure about 1 1/4 lbs food items per day so that's 24 lbs in pack items......

I think I have this posted somewhere but its great for keeping track... http://www.geargrams.com/

You can get a 'frost liner ' from Henry Shires for the tents.... weighs more of course.

Would NOT use esbit stove....PITA, stick with canister

Why is this? I used my esbit stove w/fuel tablets and it worked perfectly for my 6 day trip last summer. SUPER LIGHT and my fuel weight decreased every evening after I used the stove.

Last edited:
Can do better on the tent....my Rainbow is 2lb 2oz and is every bit as good.

I'm thinking about getting one. Did you get the roof liner with yours? Any issues with condensation or spray from extra heavy rain like they say it is intended to remedy?

To me, there are two different primary objectives a backpacking trip can have: Distance/Mileage and Leisure/Luxury (Basecamp). I think more luxury items can be worth it and justified if you're only going up a trail for up to 10 miles, then setting up a multi-night basecamp from which you'll be day hiking, peak bagging, fishing, lounging about, photographing, and/or whatever else suits your leisure. Of course, ultralight packers can enjoy much of the same activities from a basecamp, minus books for reading, camp chairs for lounging, and so on.

I think that's an important distinction. I am the kind of guy who likes to make a basecamp and explore the surrounding region with day hikes over a few days, and then hike out. That's the style I most enjoy and because of that I think I have never had as much of a drive to go lightweight as others. If I was doing an 80 mile through hike I think I would quickly change my tune and start caring a lot more about weight. I guess I am somewhere in between, I don't take things like camp shoes and chairs, pillows, etc... but I like to eat well so I usually bring food that is not freeze dried, and extra stuff to cook it, etc... I also usually have quite a few pounds of camera gear/tripod with me.

Reactions: Ben
I haven't had any condensation issues yet with my Rainbow, and I don't have the liner. My POV when I got it was to go without the liner and then add it later if I felt I needed it. You can always order it separately at a later date if you're having condensation problems.

I haven't had any condensation issues yet with my Rainbow, and I don't have the liner. My POV when I got it was to go without the liner and then add it later if I felt I needed it. You can always order it separately at a later date if you're having condensation problems.

Did you spring for the carbon poles or did you stick with the aluminum? Only saves 2 oz, but I'm inclined to get the carbon largely because I've never tried them.

Did you spring for the carbon poles or did you stick with the aluminum? Only saves 2 oz, but I'm inclined to get the carbon largely because I've never tried them.

I stuck with aluminum, largely because I'm a cheap bugger, ha. Actually I considered the carbon but decided the two ounces weren't that big of a deal (considering my previous tent weighed >4lbs, this was a big time reduction for me).

I also had them seam seal it for me...they painted silicone strips on the floor too (without me having to request that). That comes in handy because the floor is slick with my neo-air.

Aluminum poles, no liner. Yes I get condensation if temps and humidity are right. ALL single wall tents get condensation at some time.. In the Winds I do usually. S Utah usually not. No spray. Wind will blow fine sand in (S Utah), usually I just put extra clothes , pack on the the side of the wind and it's fine. It does need silicone stripes on floor or you slide all over, pretty much every tent can use that. Weight I will look. Pack fits in tent with me. Get the double Rainbow you get two vestibules.

Base weight is like I said, sleeping, pack, cook stuff/water containers (not food, not clothes, not water).

My BIG 3: Pack - Vapor Latitude 3800ci - 42 oz, Bag - Ultralamina 15 & sac - 45 oz, NeoAir & sac - 13.8 oz, Rainbow, stakes, poles, cord, sac, footprint - 37 oz, MSR cup, Crux stove & case, 4oz fuel can, spoon - 15 oz, Total = 9.5 lbs . Add some more for the 8oz can, still under 10 lbs.
As soon as I figure how to copy off geargram I will post my general weight for a trip.

Why is this? I used my esbit stove w/fuel tablets and it worked perfectly for my 6 day trip last summer. SUPER LIGHT and my fuel weight decreased every evening after I used the stove.

Fuel smell, messy. Can't legally use them if USFS fire restrictions in place. Don't like alky stoves either.

Base weight is like I said, sleeping, pack, cook stuff/water containers (not food, not clothes, not water).

I always considered base weight to be your total weight without consumables like food, water and fuel. It's kind of a pointless thing to focus on if you get those three areas light but still pack a ton of worthless crap.

From Wikipedia (FWIW):
Base pack weight (the weight of a backpack plus the gear inside & outside it, excluding consumables such as food, water, and fuel...

I do like the idea of paying attention to the 'The Big 3', however. Mine is at 10.28 right now. If I switch tent, I'll be well under 9 and still have a 'heavy pack' and a pillow. :)

As soon as I figure how to copy off geargram I will post my general weight for a trip.

Maybe just take a screenshot?

The big 3 are the most expensive to get down in weight, but man what a difference it makes once you do!

My big 3 weigh 4.8 to 7 lbs total, depending on which shelter I take. (76.5-113oz)

quilt: 20 oz (1.25 lb)
pad: 15 oz (0.9 lb)
pack: 32 oz (2.0 lb)
shelter: 9.5 oz (0.6 lb), 22.5 oz (1.4 lb), or 46 oz (2.9 lb)