Desert Winter Thru-Hike (800 mi)

Backpacking Trips:

Ruby Mountains, NV
Salt River Range, WY
Canyonlands packrafting trip

General Goals:

Go on at least one backpacking trip every month of the year
Go packrafting at least 6 times
Visit the Maze. I've lived in UT for years and never been there!

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this, since my original plans have changed considerably. Despite being retired, I had signed up for a couple of big projects in Europe for the early summer. Those fell through, and now I'm teaching this spring. So instead of a lot of trips to the desert this spring, I am now looking at more time in the Sierra in the summer.

No solid plans yet, other than to continue to do volunteer work up there. I'll spend at least a week each in Desolation Wilderness and Mokelumne Wilderness, plus whatever else works out. And then I hope to get in a few trips with my wife for pure fun...as if trail work wasn't fun!

My first plan is to continue recovery and rehab from this year's injuries! But, even if still not 100% I've already made plans for

1. A week in Acadia NP and Cutler SP in Maine - mostly day hikes
2. 5 weeks in WY, mostly in the Winds
(a) Lead a few from my local hiking group on a 40 m S. Winds loop
(b) Attempt some tougher destinations before I get any older
(c) Catch a bigger golden trout
(d) Not to become griz bait
3. Weekend winter backpacks in MA and NH

I do not think I have any big plans for next year. I still have to do so much on my property that it will most likely take up a lot of time.

These are my goals:

Walk 37 miles through Hawaiʻi Volcanoes NP as a day hike in under 12 hours. I have planned this hike in late January

Run a 5k in July

Do a lot of beach camping

Go back to Halapē

Hike to the summit of Mauna Kea

Maybe a photography trip for a few days to the North Shore of Kauai

Do a Native BIid Photography workshop in Hakalau National Forest here on the island

And hopefully, many, many Kilauea eruption outings. But that is up to Pele to decide when I will get another opportunity to do that.

I do not think I have any big plans for next year. I still have to do so much on my property that it will most likely take up a lot of time.

These are my goals:

Walk 37 miles through Hawaiʻi Volcanoes NP as a day hike in under 12 hours. I have planned this hike in late January

Run a 5k in July

Do a lot of beach camping

Go back to Halapē

Hike to the summit of Mauna Kea

Maybe a photography trip for a few days to the North Shore of Kauai

Do a Native BIid Photography workshop in Hakalau National Forest here on the island

And hopefully, many, many Kilauea eruption outings. But that is up to Pele to decide when I will get another opportunity to do that.
Dang, 37 mile dayhike. Good on ya. Post a report! :)

These are my goals:

Thats 5 days for me ........ your tough !!

Dang, 37 mile dayhike. Good on ya. Post a report! :)
I will definitely do that.
I still need to post the trip reports from all the other trips.
One practice hike is also coming up, it will be 21 miles long. I have done that one twice so far, so I now I will be able to do the extra few miles.
Thats 5 days for me ........ your tough !!
not a lot of elevation gain on that hike. I guess only 3,000 feet or so.
Itʻs mostly endurance.
It will for sure be my longest day hike ever

Now as for 2024, another year with time for more adventures. This is how it looks at this time, but see what happens for now days just try to go with the flow.

(1) First thing is to continue to enjoy this Sonoran Desert area near the Organ Pipe Cactus NM with hiking, biking, and birding about. Plan to be here in the area till like around March ... late winter / early spring.

(2) Then at this time go to Tucson then bike tour from there with camping, hiking, and birding along the way to SW New Mexico via Madera Canyon, Patagonia, Ramsey Canyon, Sierra Vista, Tombstone, San Pedro River, the Chiricahuas, and more . Then go down to Douglas and bike the Geronimo Trail Route over to very SW New Mexico. During this time camp, bird, hike in the area, and more. It will be spring, the area will be warming up, the birds returning, and more. I will have the time to go and just enjoy this Sky Islands Unique Area

(3) Then after this will be in very SW New Mexico. And plan to go down to Antelope Wells, right on the border with Mexico, then start biking north on the Great Mountain Divide Bike Route (GMDBR), with taking it north all the way back up to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. This is home or my homebase for years. Now will Not be in a hurry so can just go north taking my time biking, hiking, birding, and seeing everything while heading north. Might have several months for this. The GMDBR mainly follows old dirt and gravel roads or such off beaten paths along the Continental Divide Area. Since it will be spring maybe near the high mountain areas, like in Colorado, will have to go around thru the nearby valleys. But just go north, new adventures, new places and meeting new people with enjoying life. One place plan to spend my time at in going north along the GMDBR is in the Greater Gila Area in the spring. Again taking this GMDBR all the way back to NW Wyoming. Almost did the GMDBR in 2020 but Covid hit and put an end to thise plans then.

(4) Get back to Jackson and Jackson Hole with enjoying everything again. It will most likely now be late spring / early summer. Could do some hiking in the area, and also go back to the Thorofare and old hangouts in the Teton Wilderness. It is still in the future so could just also hangout in the Teton Wilderness and rhe Greater Thorofare area all summer. This would entail just going back in and living with the land and being Lost On Purpose in the area with the outside world seemingly going mad and crazy. See What Happens.

(5) Now if do not hang out in the Greater Thorofare all summer then this alternative. Get a ride to Northern Montana. If have a permit to go into Canada, then bike up to Calgary and then Jasper. If do not have a permit for Canada, then start here at the border here in Montana. Then go slowly south on the Great Mountain Divide Bike Route (GMDBR), slowly south with taking my time, camping, hiking, biking, birding, and everything back south to Jackson Hole by September.

(6) Go to Rabbitstick outside Rexburg in September which is a primitive skills gathering that have been going to for years.

(7) After Rabbitstick here in the fall head south with again following the route of the GMDBR south to the desert SW enjoying life. But next winter where will I hang out ... possibly back here near Organ Pipe Cactus NM, or West Texas, or who knows where. Whatever happens next winter, will have to get thru the summer first.

But all in all with being retired and living on my bike and always camping out somwheres ... just continue with north in the spring and summer, then south in the fall and winter and enjoying life!

Wishing Everyone the Best!

Last edited:
As my wife (temporarily :) ) has more vacation time than me she is seeing her folks. I should add I quite like my in-laws and enjoy spending time with them.
But due to the holidays and having off every other Friday, I have a block of time.

So..to bring in the New Year, I am going solo in The Maze for a few days. I'll wake up on Jan 1st somewhere there.
Seems a great way to start 2024!!!

Other items -

• I think we found a solution for Joan's bunion issues with NNN-BC boots and we hope to get in some ski tours this winter. I would not want to do more technical skiing with this system, but I think it will work well for some casual tours and Joan can use her existing leather boots that work well for her. https://nordic-step.com/ Hope this works well.
  • We have a block of time for MLK weekend and plan a Capitol Reef trip for 4 days.
  • Our usual desert wanderings in Canyonlands, Cedar Mesa, and nearby.
  • Drag LB with us on one the packrafting trips he wants to do.:) (EDIT: We can combine it with a Maze trip. Just sayin'!)
  • More packrafting in general
  • More time escaping the desert near in the La Sals, Abajos, and further into the San Juans.
  • I tentatively have a two-week jaunt I mapped out. We'll see if I can swing it this year. I have a "milestone birthday" and it seems an appropriate way to start another decade.
  • With some adroit use of vacation time we have a two-week block of time in December 2024. We plan on ending the year in Big Bend as after two visits we still have much to see.
  • Joan's folks might meet up with us in Las Cruces on the way back. They typically drop us off for day hikes many times.
Pretty similar to last year with a few highlights scattered through the year. Can't complain!

Depending who is up for the challenge I have a few trips I'm looking at... Teton, washskie, winds, wyoming rg, bighorn crags.... Who knows where

Just hoping to get in some backpacking. It's been far too long and I'm in real need of some backcountry time. @Bob I'd be interested in a Winds trip, especially if there's some decent fishing somewhere along the way.

Other than that, unless things go wrong I'll be making my usual spring trip to the Colorado Plateau. If anybody wants to do a backpacking trip in the Escalante area or maybe the Cedar Mesa area, I'd be up for something. I especially want to spend some time in the Escalante River area backcountry.

Looks like I have a possible trip to Africa... it's not going to be a backcountry trip, but I guess it will be interesting to see that part of the world if I do go.

My big plan is to introduce my oldest kid (15) to the wonders of the High Sierra. I wanted to do it last summer, but summer schedules made it impossible. So this is the year.

It looks like there is going to be a family trip to Northern California to see the redwoods. And I might get to do a couple nights on the Lost Coast Trail.

Then I'm hoping for 10 days in the High Sierra, possibly starting at Taboose Pass again.

Hike at least once a week.

I've got the calendar mostly sorted - but destinations and specific inspiration are eluding me a bit. That said, I'm starting to put things together...

Family Trips:
  • We're heading to eastern Africa in late June for a couple of weeks - very excited for this opportunity, but it did require changing some of what I'd started planning for 2024.
  • A few frontcountry trips to the GYE - definitely at least one backcountry trip in Yellowstone proper mixed in there, too.
  • Convinced a few old friends to bring their kids up in late July for a low-stakes backcountry/fishing trip - similar to the Silas Canyon trip my son, brother, and I did in 2023. Maybe the southern Winds again - maybe something in Colorado.
Longer "Goal" Trips: (realistically not all of them, but haven't narrowed it down yet...)
  • Return to the northern Winds - would like to approach the glaciers differently and maybe do some peakbagging. Looking at a route that might accommodate a mix of comfort levels - I'm hoping to have some company on this one, including my brother. Maybe grab a peak or two in the AM and then hike some miles each afternoon.
  • Beartooth Traverse - have a fun route drawn up here that I keep putting off, but I think this is the year. Possibly the rare shuttle trip (for me) on this one.
  • Early season Absaroka trip - depends on the snow this winter, but hoping for something in early June. Might be a gnarly one.
  • Bob Marshall - after my trip with @travel2walk I drew up another, longer route that avoids the horse/CDT trails even more. Might try to squeeze this in after The Rut 28k in September, if I think my legs can handle it.
  • Brooks Range, Alaska - this was supposed to happen the last couple weeks of June, but it looks like Africa has supplanted it. If I can re-schedule I will, but might be bumped to 2025.
  • I also still have a trip to "The Trident" in Yellowstone drawn up that I'd really like to do - all the talk about Hidden Creek on one of @TractorDoc's posts reminded me of a route I have through that area (including Thunder Mountain); maybe I could loop it?
  • And the traverse of the high peaks of the Central Absaroka still eludes me, but it's on the list.
Personal/Smaller Goals:
  • Trying to do some more running this year - planning on a flat-lander half marathon in Fort Worth (February) and The Rut 28k (September) at least. (Thanks to @Jackson for accidentally introducing me to The Rut. :cool:)
  • Going to do a lot more skiing this year, too - mostly looking forward to the x-country variety, but my kids are starting to get the downhill bug so looks like I'll be doing more of that as well. Should be up in Gardiner at the end of January - looking forward to that.
  • Climb the Grand Teton and/or Mount Moran - another conditions dependent one; have to line up my schedule, my buddy/guide's schedule, and the conditions. We'll see.
Might also make it out to the Sierra this year, but no plans as of yet. And my wife wants to do another short backpacking trip w/ the boys out east - haven't done an overnight in the Appalachians since my oldest was less than a year old.

Not as focused a list as in prior years, but certainly not due to lack of options! Should be a good year.

I've got the calendar mostly sorted - but destinations and specific inspiration are eluding me a bit. That said, I'm starting to put things together...

Family Trips:
  • We're heading to eastern Africa in late June for a couple of weeks - very excited for this opportunity, but it did require changing some of what I'd started planning for 2024.
  • A few frontcountry trips to the GYE - definitely at least one backcountry trip in Yellowstone proper mixed in there, too.
  • Convinced a few old friends to bring their kids up in late July for a low-stakes backcountry/fishing trip - similar to the Silas Canyon trip my son, brother, and I did in 2023. Maybe the southern Winds again - maybe something in Colorado.
Longer "Goal" Trips: (realistically not all of them, but haven't narrowed it down yet...)
  • Return to the northern Winds - would like to approach the glaciers differently and maybe do some peakbagging. Looking at a route that might accommodate a mix of comfort levels - I'm hoping to have some company on this one, including my brother. Maybe grab a peak or two in the AM and then hike some miles each afternoon.
  • Beartooth Traverse - have a fun route drawn up here that I keep putting off, but I think this is the year. Possibly the rare shuttle trip (for me) on this one.
  • Early season Absaroka trip - depends on the snow this winter, but hoping for something in early June. Might be a gnarly one.
  • Bob Marshall - after my trip with @travel2walk I drew up another, longer route that avoids the horse/CDT trails even more. Might try to squeeze this in after The Rut 28k in September, if I think my legs can handle it.
  • Brooks Range, Alaska - this was supposed to happen the last couple weeks of June, but it looks like Africa has supplanted it. If I can re-schedule I will, but might be bumped to 2025.
  • I also still have a trip to "The Trident" in Yellowstone drawn up that I'd really like to do - all the talk about Hidden Creek on one of @TractorDoc's posts reminded me of a route I have through that area (including Thunder Mountain); maybe I could loop it?
  • And the traverse of the high peaks of the Central Absaroka still eludes me, but it's on the list.
Personal/Smaller Goals:
  • Trying to do some more running this year - planning on a flat-lander half marathon in Fort Worth (February) and The Rut 28k (September) at least. (Thanks to @Jackson for accidentally introducing me to The Rut. :cool:)
  • Going to do a lot more skiing this year, too - mostly looking forward to the x-country variety, but my kids are starting to get the downhill bug so looks like I'll be doing more of that as well. Should be up in Gardiner at the end of January - looking forward to that.
  • Climb the Grand Teton and/or Mount Moran - another conditions dependent one; have to line up my schedule, my buddy/guide's schedule, and the conditions. We'll see.
Might also make it out to the Sierra this year, but no plans as of yet. And my wife wants to do another short backpacking trip w/ the boys out east - haven't done an overnight in the Appalachians since my oldest was less than a year old.

Not as focused a list as in prior years, but certainly not due to lack of options! Should be a good year.
All your "longer trips", in particular, sound absolutely fantastic.

Mrs. TractorDoc must be tired of living vicariously thru my Yellowstone trip reports because she said she is going with me in 2024. This will be more of a day hike based trip; I've not drawn her to the dark side of backpacking yet (and doubt I ever will!).

I would like to get another backcountry trip in the GYE this year too. There are rumblings of a return to the Teton Wilderness amongst some of my past hiking friends and I'm doing my best to invite myself along. Hidden Creek is a destination at the top of the list.

I also still have a trip to "The Trident" in Yellowstone drawn up that I'd really like to do - all the talk about Hidden Creek on one of @TractorDoc's posts reminded me of a route I have through that area (including Thunder Mountain); maybe I could loop it?

It would be great to cross paths and maybe share a campsite for a night. I'll pack some extra Circus Peanuts for you. . . but I'm leaving the caviar in the car this time. :)

Weekend hikes in the surrounding area should continue. . . after falling into sloth mode for the winter I'll need to start training with the heavy pack again in order to handle what @Bob might be planning.

Family Trips:
Personal/Smaller Goals:

Pretty mean schedule.......... do you work at all?