Dual Survival Utah

Joe and Matt filmed in Utah.... Seemed pretty staged (I know I know they all are)

It looked like they started down in the Circle Cliffs near Wolverine Loop Road. The slot was also a series of slots right off the road and then they ended in the Gulch? Just a guess I am sure some of you guess the spot experts can correct me.

Anyone watch it?

I will admit the hand catching trout was pretty legit!

I watched it, they made cups for water by hollowing out a prickly pear cactus. Liked the fish catching.

I have like 8 episodes on the DVR and I'm off from work with a snow day tomorrow. I hope I have this episode recorded.

I went looking for a re-air of it coming up but couldn't find it. Can someone post the name of the episode and maybe the season/episode # if you know it?

Just watched it. I've seen episodes from each season but I really think Matt and Joe are the best pairing. I know these things are staged but I still enjoy watching. Nick, I'm pretty sure this was the first episode of the new season. There was a commercial for the next episode in the Allegheny Mountains where Joe is from, so I think they each are doing one episode from where they are from.

I actually totally enjoyed that episode. It gave me a wicked case of desert backpacking fever. It was definitely the Circle Cliffs. I think they jumped around quite a bit between there and what I think is the Deer Creek drainage. DC has more white navajo like that as well as trout. The Gulch, not so much. I highly doubt they hiked between any of it. I think the first slot in the white sandstone was over near the Wolverine/LDH trailheads on the other side of the road.

I have to admit, I can't help but like watching the show with Matt in the desert. He may be on TV doing a bunch of pure BS, but he seems genuine beyond all that. The other guy is a classic BS TV survival asshat, IMO.

Reactions: DAA
I caught a bunch of this episode again today since there's been a marathon or something going. Quite sure that's Boulder Mountain that Matt points at in the beginning and says they should head that way for civilization. I also think the hoodoos and badlands they start out in are in or around the Purple Hills. I hope to head that way this spring, maybe it's time for another game of match the TV show to the spot.

I saw bits and pieces of a couple other episodes of the Matt and Joe Dual Survival today, and I've gotta say, I kinda like it. It's clearly B.S. but it's quite entertaining. I agree, Matt and Joe are definitely the best pairing so far.

oh, gag ........................................................ hehe. I channeled right over it

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that catching the fish by hand was total staged BS or do you think they actually caught them by hand like that?

Purely speculative, but I think it's possible they caught them both by hand like shown. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that it took a lot more tries than that though, and perhaps even that Joe never actually caught one himself. Who knows though, maybe they each got one their first try. Also, they have the fish species wrong. They didn't show them very well, but I'm pretty sure the only trout you'd find in those areas are brook trout.

Matt is genuinely the person you are shown on the show. I am pretty good friends with him.

They started between the Wolverine drainages (just SE of the wolverine trailhead) and then the final section is in Deer Creek in an area that no one in this forum is going to gain access to due to Private Property (don't mistake that for meaning developed).

Matt could run circles around pretty much everyone on this forum.
that buckskin he is wearing and the sandals...yeah, he brain tanned the hides and made those himself (i had some of those brains in my freezer for him while he was gone one time. one thing about living primitive is lack of refrigeration lol). it's what he actually wears when he is out in the desert. it was a big step/change for him to dress 'normally', start using a smart phone, etc. in order to be involved in these shows (I'm referring to the back end part: getting to location, interfacing with executives, etc.).
I thought they did a great job with letting Matt do his thing. The pairing of the two works great being that they are so different yet capable of deferring to each other depending on who has the knowledge needed.
And Yes, they most definitely caught those trout with their hands. I've been out with other locals who can do the same.
Understand that Matt has been practicing hunter/gatherer primitive skills for a few decades.
When the show says he lived in a wiki-up and pit house they aren't lying. I have been inside his old wiki (one of my best friends - who is a primitive skills instructor - lived in it for awhile).
Matt also holds the record for the fastest run up the PC Trail.

Purely speculative, but I think it's possible they caught them both by hand like shown. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that it took a lot more tries than that though, and perhaps even that Joe never actually caught one himself. Who knows though, maybe they each got one their first try. Also, they have the fish species wrong. They didn't show them very well, but I'm pretty sure the only trout you'd find in those areas are brook trout.

over the last few years the DNR has been reintroducing other Trout species. They are doing it by using Rotenone to kill everything that is in the local watersheds and then reintroducing other species. We had a huge fight with them and Trout Unlimited over their activities doing this in Boulder Creek a few years ago, which is the town's water supply.
There are plans to do this in Calf Creek over the next year or two.

I thought the rotenone plan was to kill off the brookies to reintroduce native cutthroats. I've never heard anything about using it to introduce browns since they aren't native.

And for some reason I thought you guys had won that fight. Apparently I was wrong...

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that catching the fish by hand was total staged BS or do you think they actually caught them by hand like that?

I bet they caught them on their own. My friends and I used to always go fishing with our hands and it was just like they described it on the show. You can stroke the fish up and down under those banks and they won't move. They either think it's another fish, or just the flow of the river and than you just grab and squeeze. It's actually pretty simple if you find the right river and banks.