Dual Survival

Don't know if anyone cares or not but, a new season of Dual Survival starts tonight.
It starts at 6 pm Mtn time on Discovery Channel. Dave Canterbury is no longer on the show. Cody has a new partner named Joe.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/dual-survival

So I watched the new episode, not the preview thing that was at 6, but the one from south america at 7. Aside from the whole barefoot thing, I think Cody is actually pretty on it. But the new guy.. WOW! What a dumbass! I mean, the show in general, while entertaining is full of some pretty ridiculous crap here and there, but the new guy is just like Bear Grylls without the accent!

Let's recap his first episode:

He cllimbed solo 3k feet to over 17k for some snow to melt down once he climbed 7k feet further down the mountain the same day.

Insisted on packing an armful of twigs for miles to keep warm that night

Insisted on burning it ONE twig at a time. Funny how they never even showed anything on fire that night! I bet that kept them real warm! Bwahahaha!

Slept at the bottom of a 70+ foot dryfall in a narrow, crumbly, mudstone slot, for the 'shelter'.

Went canyoneering in that slot, down a "50-60 foot" 15-foot drop using a parachute as a rope. Good thing they didn't run into more drops. It's almost like.... they knew what was ahead!?! :eek:

Oh.. and the icing on the cake... HE DRANK HIS PISS!!! Not because he thought it would hydrate him but because of the 'mental edge' it would give him to feel some hot, stinky piss going down his throat. Bear is back!! :roflmao:

I totally agree that guy is a dumbass! The previous guy at least had his head on straight. That Joe dude would get you killed.

I've seen the old episodes on German TV. Cody has some good hints and tips.

Gesendet von meinem ViperXed HOX |2.7.1| mit Tapatalk 2

Yeah, he's pretty sharp. I still don't get the barefoot thing though. I get doing it when convenient, but the stuff he goes through in bare feet is ridiculous. Evolution isn't a bad thing...

You can't help but wonder how he can walk in those extreme conditions. Sharp rocks, snow and ice, swamps. I know he has some serious callus, but damn! I watched an older episode last night when he was on a glacier with only wool socks. How does he not get frost bite even with wearing socks!?

Yeah, he's pretty sharp. I still don't get the barefoot thing though. I get doing it when convenient, but the stuff he goes through in bare feet is ridiculous. Evolution isn't a bad thing...

I don't get the barefoot thing either. According to him it makes him slow down and be more aware of his surroundings. I would think there are a lot more cons than pros of going barefoot. I watched an episode last night when they were in the Peruvian desert and he had to make sandals out of tires because he kept getting cactus spines stuck in him. He says he's being going barefoot for some 40+ years. I'll stick with my boots! Haha

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

You can't help but wonder how he can walk in those extreme conditions. Sharp rocks, snow and ice, swamps. I know he has some serious callus, but damn! I watched an older episode last night when he was on a glacier with only wool socks. How does he not get frost bite even with wearing socks!?

Thick wool socks are actually very effective in snow. Having said that I would never opt for just wool socks over gortex boot and wool socks!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I watched another episode from the new season last night. I think I've pretty much decided I can't even passively watch that show anymore. The new guy is just way too over the top. I saw the one where he hunted and killed a wild boar, if you saw it, you know what I mean. :facepalm: So my question now is, is this the deliberate direction of the show? I thought Cody and the last guy (Dave?) clashed quite a bit, but these two seem to be designed to do nothing but clash?

And while we're on the subject, anyone find it odd that they never show their bedding arrangements like in other survival shows? They build a lean to, cut to time lapse of the night sky and next thing ya know it's morning. Me thinks they've got some tents and sleeping bags on the other side of the cameras....

I was only lukewarm on the show originally--I at least liked both Cody and Dave and kind of enjoyed their banter--but I'm with you now, I can't even leave it on in the background while I do something else.

And while we're on the subject, anyone find it odd that they never show their bedding arrangements like in other survival shows? They build a lean to, cut to time lapse of the night sky and next thing ya know it's morning. Me thinks they've got some tents and sleeping bags on the other side of the cameras....
I think you give them too much credit. :lol: I wouldn't be surprised if they were helicoptered to a hotel each night.

I was only lukewarm too. Only saw a handful of the previous seasons episodes but they were usually mildly entertaining.

Here's the boar kill scene for those interested in seeing what a tool this guy is. WARNING: THis is quite graphic to watch and for some a bit upsetting as he is essentially killing just to entertain people and look like a hard ass.

I quit watching that show because they were always killing something and I have never, not one time, heard them say anything about LNT or respect for your surroundings.

Personally, I don't have a problem with people killing animals, when it is nessasary. On the set of a TV show with no real threat of starvation is definatly not a nessasary time. It turns my stomach to think that they can justify brutaly killing anything to get higher ratings. I used to watch Faces of Death when I was a teenager and some of those images still haunt me. I won't get into the politics behind hunting and the killing animals but I will say that, for me, there is no reason to take life from the earth. These douchers are just chasing ratings. What do you think they did with the boar after they killed it? Probably just dumped it in an unmarked grave and heading back into town for some warm dinner at the Denny's.

I used to have a lot of respect for the Cody guy, I have heard about him and some of the courses on desert survival he offers. Funny thing is he is always talkiing about native people and respect etc..... Last time I checked a native would crap down both legs at the thought of killing a wild animal for anything other then food and supplies.

I guess my main complaint is these damn shows cheapen the hobby we all love, teaches unexperinced folk to just run through the back country building crazy shelters and killing stuff for no reason. I have noticed a ton of old fires in all kinds of places that are no fire zones. I wonder if they are connected to how these shows teach people.