Floating Island- Utah

Ugly

Life really is better Here
A few questions in case anyone has helpful information or thoughts, and I know this is not an off-road forum...

1. Has anyone ever been out to Floating Island? (It is north of Bonneville speedway/flats and east of Graham Peak)

2. and perhaps more importantly, Google seems to think I could drive County Rd 02003, aka Floating Island Dike Road, which heads north just after the Tree Sculpture.
Has anyone ever attempted the road? All I have found on the Google is by arriving from the west.

3. Has anyone been farther northwest to Cobb Peak or even Crater Island?

Any feedback or information besides what I gleaned from a google search would be great. I am just toying with some fall planning.
Thanks.

Been close in the Silver Islands, but went in from Wendover. Just 4x4ing. Can drive all the way around them. Old mines on north end. Havent beeen to floating specifically.

That road looks fun to investigate and I suspect investigating is what you should do -- but I"d personally hesitate to count on it working. I've checked it out on GE before and it looks like it probably goes? But not at all sure.

I've been to the Silver Islands many times and love that area. I've not visited Floating Island but last spring one of my kids was looking for a place to camp and I sent them out there and they had a super great time, they camped somewhere on the NE side of the island, not far from the obvious road. Did some fun-looking day hiking out there too.

That area is HOT. Not sure when you're looking at but I'd personally wait for either a cool spell or else like October.

I drove to Floating Island but I came from Silver Island to the west. However, there is a geocache on the road coming in from the Tree of Life with a lot of finds so apparently that road is open and drivable. The screenshot below shows my route, and here's a trip report I wrote up.
Dennis do you mind saying where those Wawrinofsky pieces are? I enjoy that kind of outdoor art.
That was brave walking through that mine shaft -- I've been up to it and poked inside, but as a matter of policy don't go far into that sort of thing.

Thanks all. This does give me much more to go on.
@Udink thanks for the trip report. I will read it. I should have guessed you had been out there.

@regehr Hot and exposed to full sun for sure. I have been pondering a few places I could take my kids or nephews overnight that might interest them.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Outdoors24 Floating Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 7
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
Jammer Floating the Yampa through Dinosaur On The Water 5
regehr floating East Canyon Creek in a packraft? Trip Planning 3
DrNed Floating The North Platte June 2017 On The Water 5
Nick Floating Glen Canyon On The Water 3
DrNed Floating Smith River in Montana Trip Planning 55
DrNed Floating Through Dinosaur National Monument Trip Planning 9
Nick Floating lower Cataract into Glen Canyon Trip Planning 2
steve Invite Floating the Provo river (Provo Canyon) this Tuesday Meet Up (Members Only) 12
Nick Floating Hite to Lake Powell Trip Planning 2
steve Invite Urban Adventure - floating the Jordan River this Sat, 3.21.15 Meet Up (Members Only) 7
steve Floating the Provo River On The Water 0
DrNed Favorite Places To Explore While Floating Labyrinth Trip Planning 38
steve Floating the San Rafael General Discussion 9
gnwatts Floating through Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 22
mattvogt7 Floating into the Maze Backpacking 10
AustinCronnelly Floating the Smith River, Montana On The Water 13
Mike K Floating the Dirty Devil Trip Planning 12
Nick Time to start floating! Gear 6
Nick Floating the South Fork Snake River On The Water 19
BJett San Juan River - Sand Island to Clay Hills On The Water 0
Bob Island Park / Yellowstone Private Airport Development General Discussion 11
scatman Frary Peak - Antelope Island - February 20, 2023 Hiking & Camping 10
kwc Campobello Island, Roosevelt International Park, NB, Canada Everything Else 2
scatman Carrington Island - March 26, 2022 Hiking & Camping 27
scatman Fremont Island - February 19, 2022 Hiking & Camping 29
scatman Frary Peak - Antelope Island - January 7, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
WasatchWill Wolverine on Antelope Island General Discussion 0
IntrepidXJ Over the Edge: Island in the Sky Hiking & Camping 6
hikeer Beartooths - Island Lake to the Beaten Path Backpacking 21
Stephanie B Sand Island and Sand Dune Rock Art Hiking & Camping 1
SKLund Island in the Sky: Cheatin and I Know It Trip Planning 21
Burrito Winds - Pole Creek -> Lester Pass -> Island Lake / Titcomb -> Hobbs Backpacking 7
b.stark Island Lake/Titcomb Basin in July Backpacking 9
Tim Valentine Catalina Island West Side Everything Else 1
McKee80 Thousand Island Lake Loop Sept 7-10, 2017 Backpacking 12
scatman Antelope Island - The Southern Causeway Hiking & Camping 9
Perry Trying to decide: Clyde Lake Loop or Island Lake? Trip Planning 9
Seldom Seen Anderson Island Park? Trip Planning 5
Dirkules Good multi-day hike "Island in the Sky" - your recommendations?! Trip Planning 2
DrNed Canyonlands - Island In The Sky Hiking & Camping 12
AustinCronnelly Antelope Island- West Side Trail Hiking & Camping 8
blueeyes Island Park, ID to Elk Lake Lodge, MT Bikepacking Trip July 14-15 2015 Everything Else 12
Blake Merrell Wind River Trip - Day 5 - Island Lake Backpacking 6
Ben West Coast Trail, Pacific Rim NP, Vancouver Island Backpacking 20
ZubenElGenubi Ansel Adams Wilderness - Thousand Island Lake Backpacking 11
balzaccom Desolation Wilderness: Grouse, Hemlock, Smith, Twin and Island Lakes Backpacking 2
Blake Merrell Titcomb Basin, Fremont Peak, Indian Basin, Knifepoint Glacier, & Island Lake Backpacking 28
Bigred72 Invite: Island Lake, Uintas Meet Up (Members Only) 0