Zion National Park visitors rescued after mocking rangers, hiking The Subway unprepared

When you hike in Death Valley, you are basically told that you are on your own---It's a dangerous place, and do not expect a rescue. In Joshua Tree these signs are on some trailheads:
9InlacASQnj7HvkrtzUGZmOElNIiEdf8Wkm-udtBkUXGK_kkvOWHPnEUmM9Q0SVsMLU0W51rrw8uy4jH4LCAiNqkiErkzMHkxRew80JSc6TQRnZhyV7PVcvPbUu5RKpT3eoDtXfE1Hbi2OedxaWSDcF4JNrACpz7c8bResIywlt6ImDjUrnyxW_NvquovTKq76nBNxdb7Cc-XIcKtxDv1ISLTs__F6Q6DGKPVTMP-N_LNye9gEg50gU_RXk7TyYErsU6xiOuDsai9ehZvZYQCq1Tv8CYRBUnc66JRVdmCPyr6vMmdLOUNyrIEKcDeyD0EqBsKTcNRzbDtS_L71G-TrFDDZGzJ8F4yjkisV-2ecZAh2FU0HV7pfw9XKnEuWQC-3yH9GuAYzTESd9J1jdcRq7YzVLtaw_NTzdbBahKy0g3_vtcMR-IFWqP-46BOkPGCDzZZ3SqQARkjFfHHdIczStsfywdUtgasKQbiHaw3HmJLFUz_EeadWh6RJAThLItcH7Gpm83hwh-KkqoP67JpxRzm0ebHutL7D3-fxK0x3k4akuXdX-_D8bk7bdAAHaF-p8dH8bo6qIwzAGabTwcoTPwLnYb03tVZw0uApq4yshjQKHoZZlc64NvjCg26kIVsrze33Kv8K-vYYuVu-wNf4OUr96xYx45HA=w619-h825-no

Oooow I want that on a t-shirt haha
I am a stickler for signs and rules, but like previously stated, people don't always read them.

This thread was hilarious.
Unfortunately, my friend Bobbi is totally one of those people to ignore signs, wander off, not plan, and not listen. I love her, but it is exhuasting to backpack with someone like that.
While she messed up a couple backpacking trips, she at least learns AFTER she messes up to not do it again. I wish she would learn to listen to me in the first place, but she prefers her stubbornness and I do my best to keep her alive. :facepalm:

Unfortunately, my friend Bobbi is totally one of those people to ignore signs, wander off, not plan, and not listen. I love her, but it is exhuasting to backpack with someone like that.
While she messed up a couple backpacking trips, she at least learns AFTER she messes up to not do it again. I wish she would learn to listen to me in the first place, but she prefers her stubbornness and I do my best to keep her alive. :facepalm:
Keep fighting the good fight!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Oooh, not sure how I would handle that. You sound a lot more patient than me. Is she younger? If she is then that makes sense as I think we were all that way once...thought we knew everything and had to learn the hard way. As an adult that would probably drive me nuts...she's not learning from her constant mistake of ignoring your advice though.

Oooh, not sure how I would handle that. You sound a lot more patient than me. Is she younger? If she is then that makes sense as I think we were all that way once...thought we knew everything and had to learn the hard way. As an adult that would probably drive me nuts...she's not learning from her constant mistake of ignoring your advice though.

She is just a year older than me.
I think maybe because I am a noob at backpacking too, she doesn't think I would know. Also, she just likes to be a rebel and not listen.
My nickname is constantly along the lines of "mom" something, at work or with friends. So she just acts like I am being a naggy mom and ignores me.

Some people are just stupid. I've read a couple reports where people say they never used ropes at all going top down for the Subway. Just a little research shows the rapellinng areas and a couple you would be a true fool to try.
You can't help people who don't want it.

I’ve wondered before if ranger stations should do what they do at Mount Washington in NH and just put a list of the people who have died there with a short description of how it went down right on the wall. Might be a sobering sight to those checking in who feel they are invincible. I particularly like the sentence on the second sign that reads...

“nobody on this list planned to die here, but some did ignorant or stupid things that led to fatal accidents”.

BEFBA9E6-942F-4579-9D7C-E5CF8024A25D.jpeg

D71FCBA9-C790-4443-B969-320499A92AE5.jpeg

I’ve wondered before if ranger stations should do what they do at Mount Washington in NH and just put a list of the people who have died there with a short description of how it went down right on the wall. Might be a sobering sight to those checking in who feel they are invincible. I particularly like the sentence on the second sign that reads...

“nobody on this list planned to die here, but some did ignorant or stupid things that led to fatal accidents”.

View attachment 67300

View attachment 67301
Wow, very impactful.
Even if only a couple people read it and their life is spared, it is worth it! Even just one.

I know that I have posted this previously. Signs like this are found at a number of Kauai locations with a history of trouble:
Kauai038-copy.jpg
On the June day that I took this, the swell was low- we used our own judgement and swam in the bath which is a natural pool in a very rugged lava coastline. On a subsequent trip to Kauai- we again hiked down to Queens Bath, only to find the swells sweeping through the pool with some regularity. We stayed out that time, but watched as several people jumped in with seemingly no idea of the risk should a larger wave engulf the pool. This included a dumbass dad who tossed his crying 6'ish year old boy into the water from 8 feet up after he refused to jump.

View attachment 67300

View attachment 67301

They need this before all the popular hikes that peope have dies on, its sad but its a great warning.

http://ktvq.com/news/montana-news/2...llowstone-park-sentenced-to-130-days-in-jail/

MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS, Wyo. – The Oregon man seen in a viral video taunting a bison in Yellowstone National Park has been sentenced to 130 days in jail by a federal judge in Wyoming.

Raymond Reinke, 55, pleaded guilty to multiple charges related to the early August incident, when he was captured on video posted of Facebook appearing to taunt a bison on a road in Hayden Valley.

More:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...days-jail-harassing-yellowstone-bison-n903496

An Oregon man who said he and his buddy were on a "last hurrah" tour through national parks before he entered alcohol treatment was sentenced Thursday to 130 days in jail for his drunken behavior, including harassing a bison that had stopped traffic in Yellowstone National Park.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark Carman sentenced him to 60 days in jail for harassing wildlife, 60 days for interfering with law enforcement and 10 days for disorderly conduct. He was given credit for 21 days served.

Reinke, 55, is banned from Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier national parks for a five-year probationary period during which he is not allowed to drink alcohol. His planned chemical dependency treatment is now court-ordered.

"I'm sorry to the buffalo. He didn't deserve what I did to him," Reinke said, ABC Fox Montana reported.

U.S. Attorney Leo Pico described Reinke's behavior as the "most egregious" case of animal harassment he'd seen in Yellowstone.

The judge told Reinke: "You're lucky the bison didn't take care of it, and you're standing in front of me."

Wow, "one last hurrah" ain't that just beautiful...