Zion National Park visitors rescued after mocking rangers, hiking The Subway unprepared

Suspect in Yellowstone bison incident arrested at Glacier National Park

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/18034.htm

MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS, WY - Last night, August 2, at approximately 10:45 p.m., Glacier National Park rangers apprehended Raymond Reinke, age 55, from Pendleton, Oregon. Reinke was wanted following an incident earlier this week at Yellowstone National Park when he was captured on video harassing a bison.

Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Dan Wenk said, “We appreciate the collaboration of our fellow rangers in Glacier and Grand Teton national parks on this arrest. Harassing wildlife is illegal in any national park.”

Reinke had been traveling to multiple national parks over the last week. On July 28, he was first arrested by law enforcement rangers at Grand Teton National Park for a drunk and disorderly conduct incident. He spent the night in the Teton County Jail, and was then released on bond.

Following his release, he traveled to Yellowstone National Park. Rangers at Yellowstone stopped his vehicle for a traffic violation on July 31. Reinke appeared to be intoxicated and argumentative. He was cited as a passenger for failure to wear a seat belt. It is believed that after that traffic stop, Reinke encountered the bison.

Yellowstone rangers received several wildlife harassment reports from concerned visitors and found Reinke later that evening, issuing a citation requiring a court appearance. The video of the event surfaced after that citation had been issued.

On Thursday, August 2, Yellowstone rangers connected Reinke’s extensive history, and seeing the egregious nature of the wildlife violation, the Assistant U.S. Attorney requested his bond be revoked. The request was granted and on the night of August 2, a warrant was issued for Reinke’s arrest.

Reinke had told rangers that his plans were to travel to Glacier National Park. Last night, August 2, Glacier National Park rangers began looking for his vehicle. Simultaneous with that search, rangers responded to the Many Glacier Hotel because two guests were arguing and creating a disturbance in the hotel dining room. Rangers identified one of the individuals involved as Reinke.

Glacier rangers transported Reinke to Helena late last night, where they met Yellowstone rangers. Yellowstone rangers transported Reinke to Mammoth Hot Springs and booked him into the Yellowstone Jail. He is scheduled for a court appearance today.
I would love to b up in mammoth right now attending that court appearance . Love to hear what the judge would say to that idiot. I would probably b on the floor laughing pretty hard!!!!! I hope he gets banned from all NP. Lol

Ha! This thread...

Proper attire and preparedness:

Those badass women I hiked the narrows with could do any adventure in their finest attire looking sexy in proper shoes for the challenge! I have never been apart of a more knowledgable group of humans for the back country than I was with that awesome group of women.

I have hiked the Narrows twice from the top down. The first time was with family and some friends. I rented 5'10 canyoneers for me and my son Spencer because walking on slime covered bowling balls is extremely uncomfortable for as long as that hike is. We were the only two in our group with proper shoes and only ones who didn't complain about those slime covered bowling balls. It never amazes me the stupidity you encounter in Zion.

When Spencer and I backpacked the West Rim with Nick and friends we came across 2 foreign hikers near Cabin Spring they asked me how much further to Angles Landing? My eyebrow twitched.... it was a hot hot day and I noticed they each held a small empty disposable water bottle in their hand. No backpack. I explained they missed their destination by a long shot. Offered to refill their water bottles from the spring. Made them drink one full water bottle then filled it up again. I know they rescued two people near Angles Landing that day. Was the same two I have no idea! How do you miss Angles Landing????

Changing Canyon Conditions and Stupid Choices

I have had the wonderful opportunity to go through Mystery Canyon 3 times exactly 7 days a part each time. The first time was right after a huge storm filled the normally dry lake full to the point you had to swim across. (Awesome group I went with by the way...and definitely one of the best canyon trips I have ever been on..just going to say they were prepared and throw out the word smorgasscord) My point with this story is I was amazed at how much a canyon can change in just 7 days. They are organic! My last trip through I learned a valuable lesson about how quickly you can become hypothermic. I made a dumb choice to dive for some canyon booty at the Mystery Springs repel. We had noobs with us that took extra time and care to make it safely down that repel and wow!!! Did I get crazy cold really fast standing in that canyon in southern hot Utah waiting for them. Chattering teeth that quit chattering and hard time concentrating on what others in my group were telling me. Thankfully a very seasoned canyoneer put it bluntly that I was putting them at risk and to pull out my dry clothes and put them on. I didn't want to put my dry clothes on until we were done and out of the water. I listened because Felicia was correct and honestly I am glad she called me out. I felt so much better once my dry clothes were on and was able to make the last repel and haul ass to the end of the river walk which moving that quick helped warm me up.

I will never forget my first ever canyon trip. It was Subway with a group including Bo from Desert Rat who is on SAR for Zion. Before we started the trip he told all of us under no circumstance are we to jump off anything. Not even a foot drop from a rock onto flat ground, not once. He told us that was the number one rescue for Zion was someone who thought the could just hop off a rock or whatever and they do it break something or strain something to the point they can't get back out on their own.

Darwin Award

I work at EIRMC here in Idaho Falls. We are Level II Trauma Center I can say there are more encounters with Yellowstone wildlife than the news reports on. Thankfully most people we see for their stupidity survive the encounter. Usually involves the bison and trying to pet the beast or trying to get that selfie. That guy in the video was one lucky bastard that bison was in a good mood. It is justice the bison didn't get him and the rangers caught up with the ignorant ass in Glacier.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When you hike in Death Valley, you are basically told that you are on your own---It's a dangerous place, and do not expect a rescue. In Joshua Tree these signs are on some trailheads:
9InlacASQnj7HvkrtzUGZmOElNIiEdf8Wkm-udtBkUXGK_kkvOWHPnEUmM9Q0SVsMLU0W51rrw8uy4jH4LCAiNqkiErkzMHkxRew80JSc6TQRnZhyV7PVcvPbUu5RKpT3eoDtXfE1Hbi2OedxaWSDcF4JNrACpz7c8bResIywlt6ImDjUrnyxW_NvquovTKq76nBNxdb7Cc-XIcKtxDv1ISLTs__F6Q6DGKPVTMP-N_LNye9gEg50gU_RXk7TyYErsU6xiOuDsai9ehZvZYQCq1Tv8CYRBUnc66JRVdmCPyr6vMmdLOUNyrIEKcDeyD0EqBsKTcNRzbDtS_L71G-TrFDDZGzJ8F4yjkisV-2ecZAh2FU0HV7pfw9XKnEuWQC-3yH9GuAYzTESd9J1jdcRq7YzVLtaw_NTzdbBahKy0g3_vtcMR-IFWqP-46BOkPGCDzZZ3SqQARkjFfHHdIczStsfywdUtgasKQbiHaw3HmJLFUz_EeadWh6RJAThLItcH7Gpm83hwh-KkqoP67JpxRzm0ebHutL7D3-fxK0x3k4akuXdX-_D8bk7bdAAHaF-p8dH8bo6qIwzAGabTwcoTPwLnYb03tVZw0uApq4yshjQKHoZZlc64NvjCg26kIVsrze33Kv8K-vYYuVu-wNf4OUr96xYx45HA=w619-h825-no

Exactly the reason I went to Death Valley in February...never got too hot for hiking. As much as I despise the desert DVNP actually turned out to be one of my favorite nationals parks...completely unforgiving though and I did run out of water a mile before I reached my truck. I loaded up on water before I left and carried what I would usually carry for under 5 miles of hiking, but even in February it got toasty.

Living in a YouTube / Reality TV world these days has a lot to do with these problems I think. They only see the good, the action, the adrenaline rush moments and think “Dude, let’s do that!” It’s similar to the DYI shows and videos where you see time-compressed progress and the beautiful results. No mention of all the prep and hard work, nor the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking more about my comments here. I have to tell you that it was a couple of YouTube videos of hiking the Uinta Highline trail that inspired me to set a goal of doing the entire trail, training, planning to make it happen. This was after many years of not setting foot on any trail. So I wondered why my experience was any different when it occurred to me that I already had the base skills and experiences of my younger years as a firm foundation.

I would suspect that most of us got our start in experiencing the back country by having someone take us along to show us the ropes. Scouting was a big influence for many of us as well. My point is someone taught us the basics, the do’s and don’ts, and especially an appreciation for the wilderness, not only it’s wonder but also it’s dangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of signs put up by rangers, or other responsible parties... Oddest thing I ever saw listed as prohibited was down in the Pecos Wilderness in NM. I was headed up on Jack's Creek trailhead to camp near East Pecos Baldy and summit the next AM. Crossing into the wilderness along with the Pecos Wilderness sign was one with the usual "wilderness rules" and what is prohibited, etc. One thing listed as being prohibited from being taken into the Pecos Wilderness... a hang glider. Always found that odd cause most of the trails in were not easy and I could never picture anyone trying to lug one in... but guessing someone tried if it was on the sign.

Speaking of signs put up by rangers, or other responsible parties... Oddest thing I ever saw listed as prohibited was down in the Pecos Wilderness in NM. I was headed up on Jack's Creek trailhead to camp near East Pecos Baldy and summit the next AM. Crossing into the wilderness along with the Pecos Wilderness sign was one with the usual "wilderness rules" and what is prohibited, etc. One thing listed as being prohibited from being taken into the Pecos Wilderness... a hang glider. Always found that odd cause most of the trails in were not easy and I could never picture anyone trying to lug one in... but guessing someone tried if it was on the sign.
every sign / rule exists because someone tried to do the thing!

Ha! This thread...

P.

When Spencer and I backpacked the West Rim with Nick and friends we came across 2 foreign hikers near Cabin Spring they asked me how much further to Angles Landing? My eyebrow twitched.... it was a hot hot day and I noticed they each held a small empty disposable water bottle in their hand. No backpack. I explained they missed their destination by a long shot. Offered to refill their water bottles from the spring. Made them drink one full water bottle then filled it up again. I know they rescued two people near Angles Landing that day. Was the same two I have no idea! How do you miss Angles Landing????

I remember this day very well
And how we were baffled they missed Angels Landing

But incidents like this one happen all the time. Not only in Zion, it happens in all wilderness areas.
The lack of proper preparation unfortunately often leads to SAR operations.

I remember this day very well
And how we were baffled they missed Angels Landing

But incidents like this one happen all the time. Not only in Zion, it happens in all wilderness areas.
The lack of proper preparation unfortunately often leads to SAR operations.
Sadly it happens way too much...seems to get worse every year.

Sadly it happens way too much...seems to get worse every year.

It is getting worse and worse.

The best story I experienced while working as a tour guide was a lady who had ventured out on her own to the lava. Of course, she was unprepared without enough water and a flashlight.
While I was hiking my group out in the dark we heard some yells in the distance. Nothing unusual, people got hurt out there every day or lost in the dark.
I led my group to where the yells were coming from and we found a lady, stuck head first in a crevice on the pahoehoe lava.
I got her out, cared for her severe cuts and walked her back to the road where a ranger and ambulance was already waiting.
How on earth did she do that? She hiked back in the dark without a flashlight and only her cell phone as a light source. So she didn't see the crevice ahead of her, tumbled and fell in head first. She was already exhausted because she didn't bring enough water and couldn't get out.
Just shaking my head. After that incident, I told the story every day when I had a group out and everyone was just shaking the head.

I once rescued a family of four from Switzerland, parents and two small kids age 3 and 5, from the lava flow. The somehow managed to get there, but only had one little bottle of water for the entire family in 95F black lava desert plus the 1600F at the lava flow. You dehydrate really fast.
It happened to them and they got really scared. Everything looked the same during the day and they had no clue where to go.
I gave them all my extra water and let them hike out with us. I could only shake my head. It's one thing to put your own life in jeopardy, but the small kids had no choice. That's something that really freaks me out

Or one lady hiked out on her own to the lava in sandals. :facepalm:
Seriously, walking on a hot surface made of razor-sharp silica glass?
Of course, while she was at the flow she got hurt.
My group was already there for a while when she arrived. All of a sudden a scream: 'It hurts, my feet are burning!!!"
I wasn't sure what happened until I saw her in her Teva Sandals right on a hot spot of lava. Remember, even with a crust on top of the lava it is still at least 900F, even more.
She burned her feet quite a bit. Had to do First Aid and call Ranger Dispatch for additional assistance.
Sorry, but walking on hot lava is never a good idea. And walking on lava in sandals is the silliest thing ever.

I could tell tons of stories like these episodes. Happened way too often. In most cases, it was some lacerations due to falls or mild cases of dehydration.

We once ran into two young women who were sharing a single bottle of water between themselves, and had hiked up Illilouette Canyon in Yosemite about four miles upstream of Glacier Point. They were using a park brochure for a map, and were disappointed that they hadn't arrived at Half Dome yet. I asked them to show me on their map where they thought they were. They showed me a spot between Nevada and Vernal Falls.

I had to tell them that they were so far off course that our current location didn't even appear on the map, and that they had at least seven miles to get back to Yosemite Valley...

They smiled, thanked me, and walked off without accepting any additional water....

I once looked down into the face of Pele at Volcanoes NP and it scared the beejeebers out of me. I can't image hiking around on lava like that. Too many lava tubes that might collapse. You have my respect @Yvonne for leading tours out there.

The only time I really knew anyone who got lost was when a friend of a friend from Tahoe went MTBing with me and some others. We rode from Lake City to Silverton (Cinnamon Pass), then on to Tellyride over Ophir Pass. My friend knew the route, as I'd carefully told her to be sure and turn before going up Red Mtn Pass. It was a beautiful summer day, so nobody worried much about anything.

Of course she got behind and went straight up Red Mtn, never showed up at Tellyride, instead rode to Ouray, where she met a woman from Texas who'd just got divorced and had rented a jeep and was going to do Imogene Pass as therapy. Does Imogene go to Tellyride? Yup? OK, let's go. Neither had ever done any four-wheeling, but they made it. If you've ever been over Imogene, you know they did good.

She showed up around midnight and we called off SAR with great relief. I now am the one who rides/hikes sweep, though I find I'm usually happier alone than dealing with such shenanigans.

Last edited:
It is getting worse and worse.

The best story I experienced while working as a tour guide was a lady who had ventured out on her own to the lava. Of course, she was unprepared without enough water and a flashlight.
While I was hiking my group out in the dark we heard some yells in the distance. Nothing unusual, people got hurt out there every day or lost in the dark.
I led my group to where the yells were coming from and we found a lady, stuck head first in a crevice on the pahoehoe lava.
I got her out, cared for her severe cuts and walked her back to the road where a ranger and ambulance was already waiting.
How on earth did she do that? She hiked back in the dark without a flashlight and only her cell phone as a light source. So she didn't see the crevice ahead of her, tumbled and fell in head first. She was already exhausted because she didn't bring enough water and couldn't get out.
Just shaking my head. After that incident, I told the story every day when I had a group out and everyone was just shaking the head.

I once rescued a family of four from Switzerland, parents and two small kids age 3 and 5, from the lava flow. The somehow managed to get there, but only had one little bottle of water for the entire family in 95F black lava desert plus the 1600F at the lava flow. You dehydrate really fast.
It happened to them and they got really scared. Everything looked the same during the day and they had no clue where to go.
I gave them all my extra water and let them hike out with us. I could only shake my head. It's one thing to put your own life in jeopardy, but the small kids had no choice. That's something that really freaks me out

Or one lady hiked out on her own to the lava in sandals. :facepalm:
Seriously, walking on a hot surface made of razor-sharp silica glass?
Of course, while she was at the flow she got hurt.
My group was already there for a while when she arrived. All of a sudden a scream: 'It hurts, my feet are burning!!!"
I wasn't sure what happened until I saw her in her Teva Sandals right on a hot spot of lava. Remember, even with a crust on top of the lava it is still at least 900F, even more.
She burned her feet quite a bit. Had to do First Aid and call Ranger Dispatch for additional assistance.
Sorry, but walking on hot lava is never a good idea. And walking on lava in sandals is the silliest thing ever.

I could tell tons of stories like these episodes. Happened way too often. In most cases, it was some lacerations due to falls or mild cases of dehydration.
Those are some crazy stories. Especially the parents with small children.

I have a healthy respect for lava after my hike on Hells Half Acre and that is not an active lava flow. Add that kind of heat and I can see why you would have the perfect conditions for bad decision on the part of inexperienced hikers.

I once looked down into the face of Pele at Volcanoes NP and it scared the beejeebers out of me. I can't image hiking around on lava like that. Too many lava tubes that might collapse. You have my respect @Yvonne for leading tours out there.

lol :)

I was perfectly fine walking around the flow field. I knew where the active tube system was, which area was safe to walk and where not to go.
You get comfortable walking around pretty fast.
I even ran and jogged at night across the lava field.
It was the perfect job as long as we had lava and it was accessible. Best experiences ever and a lot of fun stories to talk about as well because of crazy people venturing out on their own.
Fun part of the job was when I hiked out with park rangers and they looked at me and told me that this was the easiest hike to the lava they ever did. One ranger told me once that in all his 15 years he had never found such an easy route out to the flow than during the trip I took him out. It was pretty funny to hear that from a ranger

I have a theory that regardless of warnings, actual temperatures, etc., most people can only imagine about 5 degrees hotter than the warmest day they've experienced wherever they live. So people showing up in Death Valley or wherever from northern Europe are just fundamentally going to have a hard time getting with the program.

I've also seen some extremely dangerous advice on the web (wish I had a link handy, but don't) to the effect that tolerating warm days in the desert is totally a matter of staying hydrated, and that anyone can do this. Of course this advice is often posted by people such as guides who spend a lot of time in the desert. The notion is ridiculous. You have to spend time acclimating. I'm pretty OK with hot hikes in Utah but my Dad, in his 70s, can far outlast me doing farm work in the heat, which he does all summer. No doubt there's also some innate ability to tolerate heat found in some people and not others (similar to ability to deal with high altitudes) and obviously guides are self-selected to have this.

https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/prefer-dry-heat-to-arctic-chill-genetics-might-be-the-reason

University of Arizona experts involved in weather-related research say other factors, such as genetics, play an important role in human climate adaptability. For example, a person's ability to sweat, one's skin pigmentation, the strength of one's heart and even how close one's blood vessels are to the surface of his or her skin are among the factors that determine a person's adaptability.

I think every backcountry trail in a NP should have signs that read:

CAUTION: You may encounter rattlesnakes and other poisonous snakes, wolves, bears, gun-totin' rangers with PTSD, rabid bats, coyotes, head-butting elk, buffalo, deer, and mountain goats, wolverines, flashfloods, inclement weather, rockfall, mudbogs, mosquitoes, @scatman, heat-seeking missiles, Bigfoot, politicians and other dangerous humans, tornadoes, fire, survivalists, lightning, earthquakes, mountain lions, badgers, poison oak and other poisonous plants, falling snags, and possible annihilation from various other sources. WE WILL NOT RESCUE YOU!

The rangers should then all take the rest of the season off (except the gun-totin' ones with PTSD).

I think you need to remove @scatman form your sign. Let's see, he'd probably would point you in the opposite direction of where you needed to go (unintentionally of course). Offer you the wrong map. Tell you east is west and west is east kind of thing. Don't even get me started into the north / south quandary. Share some off-tasting water with you. Give you a twelve year old Cliff Bar to satisfy your hunger as you head on down the trail. Send you through clouds of mosquitoes or pockets of marsh. His compass needle always seems to point to downfall. Tells you to waterproof your tent fly with a little bacon grease. And one may unexpectedly exit the backcountry wearing a kilt. I clearly see more pros than cons on this potential sign entry. I vote keep him off, clearly he is harmless. :) :scatman:

Last edited:
Tells you to waterproof your tent fly with a little bacon grease.
I guess that’s better than pouring it into the fire, at least from a bear’s perspective. But I think your vote may have been muddled with by the Russians. :p

https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/prefer-dry-heat-to-arctic-chill-genetics-might-be-the-reason

University of Arizona experts involved in weather-related research say other factors, such as genetics, play an important role in human climate adaptability. For example, a person's ability to sweat, one's skin pigmentation, the strength of one's heart and even how close one's blood vessels are to the surface of his or her skin are among the factors that determine a person's adaptability.

Yes everything about us including our ability to adapt to the environment is ultimately an expression of our unique genetic makeup. In other news, ongoing scientific research has confirmed that water is wet.

The last couple paragraphs read as if a lack of air conditioning over the last century would have resulted in adaptations to warming temperatures. "we haven't subjected ourselves to the same conditions, because we've been living in our air-conditioned and heated homes. We haven't adapted our bodies to the changes in the same way". As if people living in non-climate controlled housing, of which there are billions on the planet, have become weather-hardened super beings impervious to the ravages of a warming planet compared to the rest of us. What nonsense.

Adaptations to anything are simply the outcome of nature killing off every carrier of genetic makeups not able to survive or remove themselves from the conditions in question. The shit hasn't hit the fan to such a degree (yet).

Ridiculous article, though maybe something was lost in translation during the reporting.